whirring sound in 5th gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

whirring sound in 5th gear

everytime i shift into 5th gear i hear this loud whirring sound coming from the engine and it only happens when i pop it into 5th (which isnt too many times). the tranny shifts fine and all the other gears are good with no noise this onoly happens in fifth gear...what could it be? im thinking its the tranny but what? it almost sounds like an intake sucking in alot of air but louder! any suggestions?

Originally posted by fizzbob7
    first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
    Originally posted by ACC0RD22
    no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
    So. Cal OUTLAWZ

bump...i need help guys

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Do you have enough fluid in the tranny, i failed to realize a very small leak in my trannys, so every couple of months i have to top it off again, to get rid of my little superchargeing noise.

Comment

he has a 5spd, throw out bearing? does it make the noise when you push the clutch in?
        CiRcuS kiNgZ

Comment

when i go from 4th to 5th it sounds fine...a perfect shift...just when i let the clutch out the whirring noise start right up...when i press the clutch back in it stops so i just drop back down to 4th and drive like that...i dont want to be driving at over 4k for too long...it spends too much gas especially with todays prices, i dont want to do that...im going to try the 3k rev that fizz says...if i do hear the whirring what does that mean fizz?

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

what happens when you put your foot on the clutch all the way, while in 5th and cruising, but keep the engine revved up to around 3000rpm....does it still make that noise....

if it doesn't, then it may be the throwout bearing, although, it normally doesn't show up like this
            it doesnt make the sound...as soon as i step on the clutch the revs drop and i hear no noise when i hold the revs at 3k...just the exhaust

So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

check the tran fluid level. right before 5th went out on mine it started doing that. had someone change alt and leaked some fluid and didnt replace it. so i didnt know it was low and 5th went out.

Comment

I would def replace the fluid with Honda MTF first. Also, if your transmission mount is old, I would consider replacing that as well. I could hear my gears turning when I let off the gas on my auto. When I replaced the trans. mount, it went away.

Comment

Working...
                X