Help with "safe mode" problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with "safe mode" problems

Hey guys, had the h22a swap done into my 90 EX Accord Auto not quite a year ago. These problems have been going on since the beginning.

Problem 1: When I first start my car, it idles rough and has a real hard time reving past 3k rpm. After about a quarter of a mile of stop and go in my subdevision, everything will be fine. During this time, I can't rev past 6k and the vtec dosnt hit.

Problem 2: After the car warms up a bit and problem 1 goes away, everything is just great. VTEC hits at 5k rpm, good acceleration, all is well. After a bit of driving in the city my vtec will eventually stop working and I'll have a 6k rpm rev limiter again. I assume this is the "safe mode" everyone talks about. The CEL dosnt come on or anything, and after I let the car sit for a few minutes, everything is fine again.

Problem 3: When I first got the motor, the dude that put it in said I was missing a little black box that's supposed to be under my intake manifold. He said that was supposed to control m secondaries. Later on, another guy said I could use the box from my stock intake and it would do the same thing. He went ahead and put that in and it works great for awhile, then my low end gets really bogged down and accelerating to 4k is really sluggish. Past 4k is fine though. Do you guys know the name of the box? Do you know why the secondaries will be fine for awhile, usually longer than the vtec, and then later on it seems like they are wide open all the time and my low end sucks. Once again, if I shut the car off for a while, this problem goes away.

If anyone has any ideas or clues, please clue me in. Thanks guys.

problem 2) you must have a CEL, the lamp is probably out...when you turn the key into on (not start) does the CEL come on, even for a little bit? The reason when you let the car set for a minute and the sysmptoms go away is because when ever you turn your car off, it stops being in limp mode (though still records the CEL's) untill something else sends it into limp mode.

problem 3) the box controls IABS...just screw the box and run the vacum line from the back of the intake mani to the vacumm nipple that controls the IABS. If you need a pic I can dig one up.

good luck
    2DAO (2 Door Accord Owner)
    JDM H22 DOHC 200/161 2.2L
    My members ride: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20385

Comment

Hey Tempest,

As far as I know that's how I had the vacuum hooked up before the box and I had terrible low end. Without the box, wouldn't my secondaries be wide open all the time and still give me sluggish low end? It dosn't seem bad for a little bit. Usually it takes awhile for it to get bad so I assume the box is perhaps the problem? If the problem is in fact the box, and running the vacuum line directly would solve the problem, then I would love a pic!

Thanks.
      Letum

Comment

let me go take a pic tomororw, i'm at work now and my roomates' camera isn't here...and i'll see if i can upload it tommorow...

as far as your CEL lamp, did you figure out if it was burnt out?

edit:
        I run my setup w/o the box as i've stated, and i can FEEL the secondaries open up at 4.5k rpm just like it should Works like a champ.

Comment

ok, here we go...

The red line is the vacum line that controls IABS. Take the box out of the loop and just run the line as seen here...

Let me know how it works for you, you should be able to feel the difference, right at about 4.5k rpm.

Comment

Working...
          X