No announcement yet.

Crossthreaded oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made it better today. I installed a new single oversized drain plug. It's now leaking very, very slowly. I'm going to call around for a double oversized plug tomorrow. I think if I can find that she'll be buttoned up nicely.

The plug on the left is what WAS in there, notice the copper washer and the remnants of the threads from my oil pan. I now realized this is an oversize plug, I guess the new one has a touch more bite on it. The one on the right is also oversized (from NAPA), but it didn't work. It almost slid right in and out . Sorry about the crappy pic of the new one installed, but whats important is that oil isn't seeping out rapidly.

I'm pretty sure I didn't crossthread, I overtightened. And seeing as there was an existing problem (the car came with an oversize plug) it was too much for those old, hot, soft threads to take.

Comment

It's over. Even with the 14mm single oversize it dripped slowly. I tried some other crap like attempting to use some SAE self tapping plugs to no avail. I also found a pan for $75 CDN and was almost gonna buy it. I thought why not try to re tap it bigger, if I mess up I'll buy the new pan. So, like IBCNYA suggested:
      I ran a 16mmX1.5 tap (cost me $10, but hard to find) right down the shitty hole. I bought a 16mmX1.5 plug with a pilot tip (not easy to find either) and slapped it in there with a fiber gasket. I had to tighten it a lot to stop the dripping, but I think that's due to the gasket. Next time I'll use a thick copper one.
      So all is well, and it cost about $13.00 in parts. Although I spent about $20 on assorted plugs I'm now returning all over the city

Comment

You can always use some pipe thread sealant to stop any slow leaks.

Comment

Did you remove the oil pan when tapping/drilling into it? I hope so ...metal shavings, etc in your oil is a good thing
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Working...
          X