Crossthreaded oil drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossthreaded oil drain plug

First off I'm a retard. I overfilled my oil at my last oil change, so I was just draining some out by losening the drain plug. Then I spun it back in by hand first, then used the socket to finish up. WTF? I'm pretty sure it's crossthreaded cause it just keeps turning and I can see metal coming out.
    It has a slow drip. Has anyone fixed this?
    bigger drain bolt? re-tap the hole? New pan?

What an idiot.

worst case new pan i would guess. at least u can change some gaskets??

but try getting a NEW bolt. and washers to see if it works.
    hahahahah

Comment

It's hard to say what you'd have to do. Washers can help, that's a good idea. I don't know when that white teflon tape begins to melt, but it could work but the oil pan gets hot. You could always just go the oversized plug route and tap new threads. Let us know what's stripped- the pan or the bolt. Good luck

Dan

Comment

ya.. give it a shot, but it depends how serious.. but iif not u'll just replace the whole under pan..
        hahahahah

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7
          It's hard to say what you'd have to do. Washers can help, that's a good idea. I don't know when that white teflon tape begins to melt, but it could work but the oil pan gets hot. You could always just go the oversized plug route and tap new threads. Let us know what's stripped- the pan or the bolt. Good luck
          Problem is it's kinda holding up for the moment. Well... leaking a bit, but holding up. So I was hoping not to drain all the oil. I suppose I have to.

My guess would be the pan (female bit) that's stripped. If it's the bolt then I'll laugh, buy a new one and refill.

Comment

You can use those drain plugs washers but if it still leaks you should drain the oil and drill and tap a new hole and take it somewhere so that they can weld up the old hole.

Comment

I might have the same problem. One of those quick lube places might have overtightened the drain bolt. But, is it true due to the repeated loosening and tightening of the drain bolt from oil changes, the drain plug thread eventually gets worn and basically results in stripping?

Comment

Originally posted by fac90
                I might have the same problem. One of those quick lube places might have overtightened the drain bolt. But, is it true due to the repeated loosening and tightening of the drain bolt from oil changes, the drain plug thread eventually gets worn and basically results in stripping?
                not with proper procedure..

i recomend getting a new pan. yea you can fix the problem short term with washers/gaskets, but to what avail. remember guys maintenance and repair before mods. take care of her and shell care for you. i just replaced my oil pan because it was dented pretty bad and i noticed a trickle of oil like once a month. still not a big deal but these cars are old. you can even get a used pan. oil pans from accords (4th and 5th gen accords..not sure if the f23 from the 6th gen pan works but i do know that prelude pans also fit, thats what i replaced mine with)

good luck and next time..try not forcing the plug when you are tightening it. if it isnt tightening and you are sure you threaded it right...take it out and try again.

you should always be replacing your drain plug and gasket whenever you change your oil.

happy modding.

Comment

Originally posted by clarksterdotcom
                  i recomend getting a new pan. yea you can fix the problem short term with washers/gaskets, but to what avail. remember guys maintenance and repair before mods. take care of her and shell care for you. i just replaced my oil pan because it was dented pretty bad and i noticed a trickle of oil like once a month. still not a big deal but these cars are old. you can even get a used pan. oil pans from accords (4th and 5th gen accords..not sure if the f23 from the 6th gen pan works but i do know that prelude pans also fit, thats what i replaced mine with)

good luck and next time..try not forcing the plug when you are tightening it. if it isnt tightening and you are sure you threaded it right...take it out and try again.

you should always be replacing your drain plug and gasket whenever you change your oil.
                  I'm going to see about picking a new pan tomorrow. Chances are they don't have what I need (these cars are all on the road!). Yeah, I'm a lazy cunt and I reuse the bolt and washer all the time. You pay now or pay later, and I'm paying later on this one.
                  Actually I keep up on maintenance pretty good, I just F'ed myself this time.

Thanks for the info. on the pans. So any F22 or H23 pan will work?
                  Last edited by squig808; 06-25-2005, 08:35 PM.

Comment

There is no need to be so damn hard on yourself we all fuck up once

Comment

Originally posted by squig808
                      I'm going to see about picking a new pan tomorrow. Chances are they don't have what I need (these cars are all on the road!). Yeah, I'm a lazy cunt and I reuse the bolt and washer all the time. You pay now or pay later, and I'm paying later on this one.
                      Actually I keep up on maintenance pretty good, I just F'ed myself this time.

Thanks for the info. on the pans. So any F22 or H23 pan will work?
                      You could either go w/ a new pan or even a decent junkyard pan. It's not always about replacing the bolt and washer everytime, but stuff happens

Okay you can use F22a, H23a, and H22a1 (USDM 93-96). They are literally the same pan. H22a4 is aluminum, the H22a1 is steel, and from the research I've done the H22a4 pan will bolt up to our motors, I'm 90% sure on that. The H22 pan that's odd is the type S version but I don't quite know all the details on that! So I guess just stick to the first 3 that I listed. Good luck and will you be doing this work yourself?

Dan

Comment

why couldnt you drill the hole out and use a tap and die on it to rethread the hole.....? wouldnt that be simpler than changing out the oil pan? maybe not just an idea..or you could pic you up one of those nice new aluminum oil pans moroso makes...

Comment

Originally posted by IBCNYA
                          why couldnt you drill the hole out and use a tap and die on it to rethread the hole.....? wouldnt that be simpler than changing out the oil pan? maybe not just an idea..or you could pic you up one of those nice new aluminum oil pans moroso makes...
                          I'm thinking metal shavings would get in there if you tried to do anything with the pan on. So one way or another I think I'm dropping the oil pan. I would love a Moroso oil pan, but I'm not made of money. I'm also trying to save up for a decent suspension *sigh*...

Comment

Wait a minute... maybe I spend the $$$ on a sweet ass oil pan and leave the car stock height, then I can show that shit off!!!

I'll let you guys know what happens. Thanks for the input. I'm going to drive around tonight, just topping off when needed.

Comment

Arent there univerasal repair kits available for this problem? Oil pan replacement must be a last resort.

Comment

Working...
                              X