Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny drain/fill bolt help

First, thanks in advance for any help.

I cannot for the life of me get either bolt off. WD-40, liquid-wrench, seafoam deep creep all sitting over night (not all at once!), 17mm fill bolt still wont budge. I tried a breaker bar from up top too. No luck.

So, any tips on how you guys got the fill bolt off? Am I stuck with getting an impact gun?

To be sure, the tranny drain bolt is the circular one with the square recess right? I tried a a 3/8 drive ratchet (no socket) and it didnt fit. What else can I try? I figured since I couldnt get the drain bolt off I'd get the fill bolt off and siphone out the oil and fill. But I'm having a hell of a time with the fill bolt too!

Sorry for long post.

I thought u filled it through the dip stick hole.....isnt that where u are suppose to put the tranny fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
      I thought u filled it through the dip stick hole.....isnt that where u are suppose to put the tranny fluid?

Oh my...for the sake of your engine I hope to God you have an automatic, in which case you are correct. But if you have a manual tranny and you are putting tranny fluid in the dipstick tube, that would mean you were putting tranny fluid in with the oil.

Please!!! Tell us/me you have an automatic!

And to the thread starter, Im not sure, as I havent changed the fluid. Though this is something I will be doing soon, so I will keep an eye on this thread.

Comment

i could have swore it was a 3/8 ratchet that fit...but that is what you use, a ratchet then if it doesnt work...take a hammer..and tap on the end of the ratchet... end farthest away from the drian plug. after a few taps it should loosen and work...but ill get back to you on the correct measurement.

Comment

not sure but i put the wrnech or whatever in and started kicking it (while i was under the car)

those were def. a bitch getting off.
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by xtremeskier97
            Oh my...for the sake of your engine I hope to God you have an automatic, in which case you are correct. But if you have a manual tranny and you are putting tranny fluid in the dipstick tube, that would mean you were putting tranny fluid in with the oil.

Please!!! Tell us/me you have an automatic!

And to the thread starter, Im not sure, as I havent changed the fluid. Though this is something I will be doing soon, so I will keep an eye on this thread.
            Yea I have auto.....And it know not to put it in the oil just worded it wrong shoulda said tranny dipstick.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k
              not sure but i put the wrnech or whatever in and started kicking it (while i was under the car)

those were def. a bitch getting off.
              that works ..i did the same thing when i changed the 5 spd. tranny fluid a couple weeks ago
              5.6L V8 32V DOHC
              JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                that works ..i did the same thing when i changed the 5 spd. tranny fluid a couple weeks ago
                lol, but one of the bolts are kinda stripped so now i have to use a socket/ratchet combo.
                luckily, i have another tranny to put in.
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Skier > Haha! Yeah 5 speed. I havent owned an auto since my first car: hand-me-down 84 stanza wagon. That tranny was a real pain in my ass.

I'll give it one more go kicking at it. As for the ratchet, 3/8 is propably right Clarkster but I think I'll try siphoning thru the fill bolt. I dont want to waste another half hour getting one damn bolt off! That and I dont have the $ for more tools right now.
                  Thanks for the help!

edit:
                  Clarkster. Did you use a ratchet drive (the square head with no socket attached)? because the bolt itself is round and the recessed part looks like the only thing u can fit in it is a ratchet drive or maybe if you flipped a drill/screw bit on backwards? The screw bit/ drill bit backwards would probably be harder tho b/c youd have to twist it with no leverage. I dunno...
                  Last edited by z-93lx; 06-08-2005, 04:28 PM.

Comment

i did this a couple of weeks ago and all i did was put a 17mm wrench on it and used another wrench for leverage and it came off in a couple hard pulls.

Comment

just use a breaker bar...almost better than usin an air tool
                      92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

Comment

i just went through the same thing on the weekend trying to get the damn tranny oil fill bolt off, a good hour of trying different combinations and leverages, using wd 40, hot and cold, could not get it off cause my shop used air tools to tighten it last time, had to bite the bullet and take it in to the shop.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                        "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                        "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Originally posted by starchland
                          i just went through the same thing on the weekend trying to get the damn tranny oil fill bolt off, a good hour of trying different combinations and leverages, using wd 40, hot and cold, could not get it off cause my shop used air tools to tighten it last time, had to bite the bullet and take it in to the shop.
                          You could have really filled the tranny by removing the speed sensor located on the top (assuming its like the manual trans.). It comes out very easily and you just got to stick an funnel in and pour.

Comment

yea a lof of ppl use the vss, on the top and filling it up through that, or if you really cant get that off either ( happens if never removed) then your last hope is to yank the axles out and it pour the tranny fluid through these...i've had to do it a couple times mainly cuz the fil bolt in our crx tranny's is in such a tight space, its impossbile to get anything but a closed end wrench in there and if its stripped theres no room to use any special tools or anything....
                            Happiness is CR-X shaped

Comment

what about that like vent pipe hole looking thing by the shifter cables on the top of the trans? can you put fluid in there to fill the tranny?

EDIT: yeah i just checked with the old tranny outside...and YES you can fill using that hole!! just keep the fill hole bolt off so you know when it gets full....its alot easier than using the VSS too...nothing to remove except a little rubber cap!
                              Last edited by accord91lx; 06-09-2005, 05:40 PM.
                              Seattle Silver crew #5
                              Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                              ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

Working...
                              X