Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What if the Balancing Shaft is off?

hey guys here's a quick question.

i recently replaced my water pump and heater hose on my car (over heating on the freeway) so, geting off the freeway (thru traffic) to my friend's house (luckily which was near by) took like 10 minutes while the car was overheating...

since replacing it (2 days ago) the car ran a little rougher than usual (idling and in motion).

would u consider the overheatin would have caused internal damages to the engine or tranny? or would u consider during the water pump replacement, either belts are off timing.... (timing belt should be fine.. my pop and i made sure everything was at TDC) but the balancing belt... i'm not too quite sure (look at picture for explaniation...)

**sample picture used from another thread...disregard that red circle (just reflect the blue and yellow lines)....keep in mind my engine is f22a1 the picture is an h22 (but the layout of the sprockets are about the same)

the yellow line (we later found out from the chilton accord manual) is where u can put in a screw driver to hold the balanceer shaft in place... but what happens is everything else is perfect and the balancer shaft is off a couple of degrees? would the engine run rough? if this is my case (which i will take a look next week), my car is daily driven... u think it would affect my engine's life or would this be okie till then?

Car:
    1991 honda accord EX 4dr
    f22a1 (swaped from f22a4[rip])
    stock engine and all around
    mileage: 250K

if either balance shaft is off then your car will seem to vibrate harder than usual. It doesn't necessarily cause it any damage, its just uncomfortable. the yellow arrow is where you can stick a screwdriver in to lock the rear balance shaft and oil gear in place, while the red circle is the front balance shaft which can't be locked in place. Hope this helps. Oh, and there is a timing belt DIY in the DIY forums with pictures of your engine and not an h22a

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
    We got something to say!
    Police this, condemn this, damn this
    We'll be heard anyway!
    Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

yah, that is a nice write up, but i think the f22 and the h22 have different alignments for the balance shaft. I think that my f22a4 mark on the oil pump is 180deg past that mark. I could be wrong, but that's what mine is at and it idles perfectly and i do know also for sure that the red mark is off on that h22 compared to ours. Ours is directly up and down, but there is a mark on both the pulley and the block..and on my car there is a HUGE chunk of skin....damn TB tensioner bolt!
      WTB:
      88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
      OR
      90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

thats my motor w00t!
        H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

thats my motor w00t!
          bummer it's not working right now for you. I downed the pic and put it in my engine bay. I had to get an alternator for it though.. runs great thanx for the engine!

hehehe j/k DUDE! Long day at work.
          WTB:
          OR
          90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

If the balance shaft is out IT CAN damage your motor. The severe turbulance that it can cause is enough to put extra stress on the crank and can cause crank damage ie rod bearings, thrust bearings, or mains. Fix this ASAP!!!
            I live my life a quarter mile at a time. . . for those 56.7 seconds my Nike Shox are are laying the rubber to the asphalt. (Car to be born soon, should drop quarter times to about 15 secs or less SOHC all motor).

Comment

awesome... i guess i'll just lay off on driving this car for the meantime... thanks for the advice guys!

Comment

Originally posted by green5thgen
                If the balance shaft is out IT CAN damage your motor. The severe turbulance that it can cause is enough to put extra stress on the crank and can cause crank damage ie rod bearings, thrust bearings, or mains. Fix this ASAP!!!
                Thanks for clearing that up. I thought it was a comfort thing. Does the front balance shaft on the H22 have the same timing marks as the F22? It looks like it does to me from that picture. There is one on the gear that points towards the front of the engine while a notch on top of the shaft aligns with a notch in the block when at TDC?

We got something to say!
                We'll be heard anyway!
                Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

first off, that yellow arrow is NOT pointing to where you put the screw driver/bolt.. there is a 12mm bolt you take out a little ways away from it on the actual block.. as far as the marks, the one on the front shaft will (well, should) always line up with the mark on the motor.. the rear sprocket however has a mark just for your reference.. there is nothing on the motor to line it up with and honestly doesnt matter if its in the same place.. and yes, if you run the car for any length of time with them off, it will cause damage.. a friend of mine forgot the screw driver in the back and couldnt get it realigned right.. we ran it for a couple minutes each time before we knew it was the balancer shaft... i also drove it onto the flatbed when i sent it off to my friends shop to get it fixed right (not good).. the following shit was my bad, but my motor was doomed anyways, so i just helped it along.. i drove back from the shop and the car ran fine about 2/3 the trip and my oil light came on.. i wasnt far from my house so i didnt think much of it.. a few blocks from my house, it started blinking and right in front of my neighbors house i heard a pop and my car died.. i coasted into the driveway and tried restarting, but nothing.. turns out the oil pump had crapped out or something else and had starved my head of oil, seized the cam to the head and snapped off the cam gear.. needless to say, i was kinda mad..

Comment

that's because your oil pump is driven by your balance shaft belt. The front one is only the shaft (red shaft) the rear gear is actually your oil pump, and inside the oil pump is were the balance shaft and I think the gear that makes the pump...pump. If i'm not mistaken the gear for the balance shaft is what makes the pump work. It's bad if the belt is off or messed up. but if it's off it's mark i dont see how it can be bad cause your pump will still work. Your engine should just rattle like crazy.
                    WTB:
                    OR
                    90-93 Accord.

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice
                      first off, that yellow arrow is NOT pointing to where you put the screw driver/bolt.. there is a 12mm bolt you take out a little ways away from it on the actual block.. as far as the marks, the one on the front shaft will (well, should) always line up with the mark on the motor.. the rear sprocket however has a mark just for your reference.. there is nothing on the motor to line it up with and honestly doesnt matter if its in the same place
                      Yes, you have to take a 12mm bolt out of the service hole, but its really close to where that arrow is pointing. As far as the marks, the mark circled in the picture will be pointing to the front of the car (ie the left side). It doesn't line up with anything. The notch on the shaft that the gear circled is connected to however will be aligned with the notch in the motor. Also, there *is* a mark on the oil gear that aligns with a little raised area on the motor at about the 5 o'clock position. It *does* matter because that is connected to the rear balance shaft. If you turn that gear without locking the rear balance shaft through that service hole, the motor will be unbalanced (go figure).

We got something to say!
                      We'll be heard anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by immeraufdemhund
                        that's because your oil pump is driven by your balance shaft belt. The front one is only the shaft (red shaft) the rear gear is actually your oil pump, and inside the oil pump is were the balance shaft and I think the gear that makes the pump...pump. If i'm not mistaken the gear for the balance shaft is what makes the pump work. It's bad if the belt is off or messed up. but if it's off it's mark i dont see how it can be bad cause your pump will still work. Your engine should just rattle like crazy.
                        the oil pump is driven directly by the crank and is no where near the rear balancer shaft..

and i realize the mark can be used, but if you put the screw driver in the shaft to hold it still, it really doesnt matter where the sprocket ends up.. i took off the sprocket assembly to change the o-ring inside and didnt need to mark it anywhere since there is no specific way the sprocket goes onto the shaft..

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice
                          the oil pump is driven directly by the crank and is no where near the rear balancer shaft..
                          Yep, I was just gonna say that, you are absolutely right. The only reason its called an "oil pump gearset" is because it is mounted to the oil pump housing, but the actual oil pump itself is driven directly off the crankshaft right behind the crank seal. The rear balance shaft gearset just serves as a reverse-idler because the rear balance shaft has to spin the opposite direction as the front shaft.
                          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

ooohhhh..I thought that was a bearing of sorts for the crank to have fun spinning in. good info to know! So what would i call that reverse spinning thing that connects to the rear shaft?
                            WTB:
                            OR
                            90-93 Accord.

Comment

rear balancer shaft sprocket?

Comment

Working...
                              X