91 accord non abs breaks are squishy help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 accord non abs breaks are squishy help

my brakes are squishy i replaced brake cylanders and shoes all new hardware and drums and new rotors and pads ,and bled the brakes so there is no air in the system ever summer my brakes are like this im not sure what it is,is it a typical 90-93 honda problem i also have new lines new fluid everything

when im driving and i step on brake easy it get suishy and goes close to tyhe floor but when i step on the brakes firmly they are fine its only in traffic or driving around town

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Time for a new master cylinder. or did you replaced that...

Comment

nope never seem the need u fine when it cold out every year for the last three years but its only once and a while it does it ,only does it when its really hott out

(\__/)
      (O.o )
      (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

pedal squishy is either fluid, or cylinder..

brakes squeeky, maybe rotors? i d k. a bit is okay.

what kind fluid did u use?
        hahahahah

Comment

i have the same problem after replacing tranny and clutch... i bleed the clutch and made sure all the fluid resorviours sp? were filled to the top. should i have to bleed the brakes? sorry for the hijack

Comment

If the brake pedal is just low all the time, then there is air in the system. However if the pedal bleeds down to the floor when the brakes are applied and if you let of the brake then press it again and it feels back to normal then its a bad master cylinder.
            Last edited by mrhonda; 05-31-2005, 12:05 AM.
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

wow mr honda you described the exact problem i have. why all of a sudden is my master cylinder gone? how much is this part to replace?

Comment

Originally posted by hpaccord91
                my brakes are squishy i replaced brake cylanders and shoes all new hardware and drums and new rotors and pads ,and bled the brakes so there is no air in the system ever summer my brakes are like this im not sure what it is,is it a typical 90-93 honda problem i also have new lines new fluid everything

when im driving and i step on brake easy it get suishy and goes close to tyhe floor but when i step on the brakes firmly they are fine its only in traffic or driving around town
                You have a bad master cylinder I just went through this a couple of months ago. I replaced it flushed out the brake system and adjusted the rear brakes and every thing is fine now.
                Can't complain, it was free!

Comment

Originally posted by flacopower
                  wow mr honda you described the exact problem i have. why all of a sudden is my master cylinder gone? how much is this part to replace?
                  The internal seals just deteriorate with old age and leak. This is a very common issue with older Hondas. Being as the master cylinder is such an imortant component, I would not recomend going cheap on this....spend the extra cash and get you a good OEM reman. It is super easy to install too.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Super easy to replace, and autozone sells remanufactured ones with lifetime warranties.

Also check your brake lines where there's rubber. They spring leaks sometimes too and cause very similar problems.

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
                    We got something to say!
                    Police this, condemn this, damn this
                    We'll be heard anyway!
                    Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

My rebuilt master cylinder from PepBoys cost about $60 and it has a lifetime warranty. Took just a few minutes to replace. Takes longer to bleed the system than to replace the cylinder. Fixed all my problems and I had the exact problem you had.

My dad explained it to me in a little more detail, so I will pass this on. What happens is as mrHonda said, the interior seals start to detiriorate over time. My main thing was that I was not losing fluid, so I asked my dad. He said what happens is that the outer rim of the plunger inside the cylinder (its rubber) starts to let fluid past, so fluid is on both sides of the plunger (only supposed to be on one side). So when you press the brake, all the "mechanics" work right, just that the fluid isnt being pressed down the lines, but rather just leaking past the plunger inside the master cylinder. Therefore, no external leaks. The leak is internal. Every so often you will get a good hard brake, but a lot of times when there is constant pressure on the pedal, it will slowly go to the floor (like when sitting at a stop light).

You could rebuild the master cylinder yourself, though most times the kits are just a little bit cheaper than the rebuilt cylinder itself.

Comment

my problem is that it is only squishy when it is hot out but besides that they are fine what i did

>new wheel cyclders,new lines
                        <new ceramic shoes,hardware,drums,
                        <new front rotors and ceramic pads calipers
                        <bleed the system 2 times i used honda fluid dot 3 its what they gave me

so u think when it gets hot out side things start to loosen up a litte
                        cause when its cold out or the car is cold it doesnt do it so i have been pumping brakes or stop on them more firmly when i do that it works great

(\__/)
                        (O.o )

Comment

Well, most fluid, when heated, gets thinner. So if it is not doing it when it's cold out but it is when it's warm, the fluid is thin enough to get around that aging rubber plunger inside the master cylinder. Replace the cylinder and all your problems will go away.

Comment

but the problem is that this is a new problem ever since i changed out the tranny, so could it be related to that somehow? and when the clutch engages in first, second, and third gear it makes a loud click. is that related?

Comment

Coincidence... those are two totally separate systems. Unless of course you somehow put a small hole in your rubber brake lines pulling something out like your axles, which I doubt.

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
                              We got something to say!
                              Police this, condemn this, damn this
                              We'll be heard anyway!
                              Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Working...
                              X