Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muffler is dead. Should I buy another OEM or go Aftermarket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler is dead. Should I buy another OEM or go Aftermarket?

It's all about the money for me. I'm not going to kid myself and think that an added 3 horses are gonna get my stagecoach to the bank any faster than it already does. My muffler is finally on its last leg. Since I have to get something, does anyone have an opinion? I will probably be paying a shop to do the install. How much am I looking at for a new OEM muffler? A good quality aftermarket muffler? I am NOT looking for something loud.

And the ninjas had sweet victory, and there was much rejoicing.

Get OEM. There is a lifetime warranty that any Honda dealer will honor, they're quiet, they fit perfect, and they're a sinch to install. They are about $150 for the dual-exhaust version with new nuts and a gasket included from hondaautomotiveparts.com. (Don't forget the tips @ $26/each!!)

Comment

Originally posted by xaxis360
      Get OEM. There is a lifetime warranty that any Honda dealer will honor, they're quiet, they fit perfect, and they're a sinch to install. They are about $150 for the dual-exhaust version with new nuts and a gasket included from hondaautomotiveparts.com. (Don't forget the tips @ $26/each!!)
      thats for a axle back?
      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

huh?

Comment

Are you saying that if you have a stock borola muffler it has as lifetime warranty?
          Thats what came on my car and its dead now: what should i do?

-Zipcreature
          Awesome!

CB7. F22A. 5spd. CB7. Exedy. Chromoly. AEM. DCSports. Apexi. Progress Group. AGX. Suspension Techniques. Viberant. Goodridge. Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by xaxis360
            huh?
            because if you just get a muffler, you would need it to be welded on as opposed to an axle back type thing where you just un-do two bolts and a couple hangars...

Originally posted by zipcreature
            Are you saying that if you have a stock borola muffler it has as lifetime warranty?
            Thats what came on my car and its dead now: what should i do?

-Zipcreature
            was the mufflker on the car when it came out of the factory? and borla is aftermarket...not oem, lol
            I <3 G60.

Comment

yeah i guess he means axle back which is simple for a DIY installation because all you gotta do is take off 2 bolts and 2 hangers and reinstall, where as if you just got the muffler youd need to weld it on the pipe.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

ive got a stock 93 ex dual tipped muffler sitting here if anyone wants it

Comment

Well, the quality of the OEM mufflers is great: easy to install (def. DIY!), it fits, and it's quiet yet slightly throaty when you want it to be. You could get a new EX axleback for about $160ish. You may want to call them about the warranty b/c when I bought mine they said I had to be the original owner or know the original owner to get the lifetime warranty. So check on that.

If you're going to have a shop install whatever you get, you might as well go aftermarket b/c OEM's install so easy. Good luck.

Dan

Comment

You can't just get "the muffler" from Honda. It is a whole assembly with the pipe coming out of it that leads to a flange at the end near the right rear wheel. The aftermarket sells "muffler only" replacements where you have to cut and weld things...they rust out in 2 years.

Comment

I bought an aftermarket muffler that comes with the "axle back" as some have called it. It has a lifetime warranty also. It was about $75 w/ free shipping I believe. The only bad thing is, is when they ship those things, all they do is wrap the actual muffler part in a layer of thin cardboard, and wrap the 2 ends with plastic wrap. My first one came all screwed up, and it took an act of Congress to get them to replace the damn thing. The second one finally came and it was dinged up and scratched, but not near as bad as the first.

Atleast if you got it through Honda, you could pick it up at the stealership...oops...did I just say that?.....I mean dealership!

Oh..and BTW...the brand of my aftermarket one is OPParts. Borla also makes one I think. Do research. This is where I got mine, though I DO NOT recommend them. These guys werent the problem though, it was the warehouse that they drop ship from.

http://www.diypartscatalog.com/epcvs...m&clientid=diy

Here is another I was looking at before I got mine:

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/the...r&category=All

Better deal:

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...tion=000612279
                      Last edited by xtremeskier97; 05-25-2005, 11:53 AM.

Comment

go with OEM

'04 SB AP2 211whp 150wtq

Comment

I just put a 50 series flowmaster on my accord with a stainless tip. It was about $130 for muffler, stainless tip and labor. I has a nice mellow tone to it now.
                          Can't complain, it was free!

Comment

Originally posted by homegrown_xt
                            I just put a 50 series flowmaster on my accord with a stainless tip. It was about $130 for muffler, stainless tip and labor. I has a nice mellow tone to it now.
                            pics or ban
                            I <3 G60.

Comment

Honda mufflers are manufactured by the Sankei Corp of Japan.

Comment

Working...
                              X