coolant system problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coolant system problems

ok here's the skinny. I flushed my system about 3 months ago. I drained the fluid out of the radiator, flushed the system with water and ran water through the whole stsem until nothing but water came out, i then used a prestone flushing chemical to take all the rust and grime out of the coolant system. flushed again with water. then i filled the system with half and half and ran the car until full temp was reached. loosend the air bleed bolt and pinched the upper radiator hose a few times to let air out of the system. i drove the car for about an hour to an hour and a half then topped off with half and half again. i also put some half and half in the resevoir...........

sooooo my question is how come my fluid is a nasty orange color and smells like garbage now and is kinda sprayed on my battery, upper radiator and distributor, ???? i replaced the cap thats all i can think of maybe the cap wasn't allowing the fluid to flow into the resevior and it was spraying out the cap seal. that wasn't it. my radiator isn't clogged, and the water pump works fine too...........WTF?
    "Sorry i can't let you in, the back seat is down..."

Leaking Headgasket.....time for a new one... Could also be a cracked head, but I doubt it...

Comment

it can be crap that came off with the rust remover that you used...even if u did flush it, it may of removed more.

for now i think u should flush it out with just water and then fill it with 50/50.

then see if it still does the color. if it does then pressure test your cooling system with a pressure tester you can rent from your local auto store. that will tell you if you have a leak and if its external it will show.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by FushigiRES
        Leaking Headgasket.....time for a new one... Could also be a cracked head, but I doubt it...
        no no no.....you probably just have a leak somewhere, look over everything really closely i.e. radiator, hoses, etc
        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
          it can be crap that came off with the rust remover that you used...even if u did flush it, it may of removed more.

for now i think u should flush it out with just water and then fill it with 50/50.

then see if it still does the color. if it does then pressure test your cooling system with a pressure tester you can rent from your local auto store. that will tell you if you have a leak and if its external it will show.
          He is correct. Once you put the flush agent, it removes alot of the rust, but loosens what doesn't immediately come out. If you filled the resivor more than about half way, once you car gets hot, some of the fluid goes into it. If it got extremely hot one dasy, more fluid than normal probably got sent to the tank and once it got full it has nowhere to go but out. Thus the rust colored grime. Same principle as doing a motor flush(BAD BAD BAD). SOme of the oil gets discarded immediately, but the rest falls of with time and stops up the oil screen
          I live my life a quarter mile at a time. . . for those 56.7 seconds my Nike Shox are are laying the rubber to the asphalt. (Car to be born soon, should drop quarter times to about 15 secs or less SOHC all motor).

Comment

Working...
          X