Transmission Issue and new clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission Issue and new clutch?

Ok .. I am new to my Honda and this board. I got my rider 5 months ago and I drove 5000 miles on it. It has 105k miles now. It is a 1992 LX Model The problem started about couple weeks ago when I replaced slave and master cylinder. The car was working again after my clutch. However, I noticed last week that the car clutch is slipping. It revs to higher rpm when I am on the gas pedal. This morning, it got really bad. It needed to be 4000-5000 rpm for me to move the car. It slipped like crazy. On the way to work, it went BOOM. I heard something popped. I can shift it to any gear and it stays on neutral. There was also something burning too. What else can be wrong other than a clutch? How hard and any direction on how to replace the honda clutch? I may just get a advance auto clutch for 65 dollars. Are they ok clutch if you dont race it. It is not my racer and it is just my daily beater.
    1999 Trans AM LS1 A4 11.8-12.5@108-112 mph
    Beater - 1992 Honda Accord LX 2.2L M5

Welcome and that sucks to hear. As for replacing your clutch the past 2 days ive been reading on it and I guess it's alot of work and time to do but it is possible if you have the time and tools to do it. Its just very time consuming so I hear. I Don't really know about clutches so I cant help you there. Are you near MA by any chance?

Comment

I am in Maryland. I dont own a shop. I just have a set of sockets, wrenches, jack, stands and other handy man tools.

Comment

Originally posted by mousetom78
        Ok .. I am new to my Honda and this board. I got my rider 5 months ago and I drove 5000 miles on it. It has 105k miles now. It is a 1992 LX Model The problem started about couple weeks ago when I replaced slave and master cylinder. The car was working again after my clutch. However, I noticed last week that the car clutch is slipping. It revs to higher rpm when I am on the gas pedal. This morning, it got really bad. It needed to be 4000-5000 rpm for me to move the car. It slipped like crazy. On the way to work, it went BOOM. I heard something popped. I can shift it to any gear and it stays on neutral. There was also something burning too. What else can be wrong other than a clutch? How hard and any direction on how to replace the honda clutch? I may just get a advance auto clutch for 65 dollars. Are they ok clutch if you dont race it. It is not my racer and it is just my daily beater.

i had the same problem a while back, i trashed my throw out bearing. either way, the only way to know for sure is drop the tranny d00d. you probly need a whole new clutch though, u get the plate and everything with it, you'll be golden.
        Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

also, if you own a 12 second t/a, im sure u can handle dropping a tranny on a honda....even on your back, it shouldnt take u more then 8 hours.
          Finally Up and Running. Numbers to Follow. Check my MR

Comment

Originally posted by mayberry4thgen
            also, if you own a 12 second t/a, im sure u can handle dropping a tranny on a honda....even on your back, it shouldnt take u more then 8 hours.

My TA is an automatic with a high stall convertor. Yea ... i just want to look for online directions and make sure that i have the right tools.

Comment

Is this any good?

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...pe=244&ptset=C

Comment

i would get a nice clutch on ebay.... imo

Comment

Originally posted by mousetom78
                  i just put a $109 durolast clutch kit from autozone in my 93 accord last week. works great so far and has a lifetime replacement warranty. what part of maryland are you in? im in york/hanover pa. a simple wrench and socket set that goes up to 17mm along with a big hammer and a ball joint splitter (just in case) is pretty much all you will need to do the job.

EDIT: you will also want to have the flywheel resurfaced. i paid $44 for that at napa auto parts machine shop.
                  Last edited by crxls; 05-17-2005, 06:45 PM.
                  93 accord dx stock (mine)
                  91 accord lx stock (wife's) click here for the FS listing
                  86 crx HF (carb'd model) with B18B1 swap, custom OBD1 fuel injection conversion, custom mounts...... fun conversion, and more fun to drive
                  86 ford ranger with dual sparkplug 2.3 FI conversion

Comment

Originally posted by crxls
                    i just put a $109 durolast clutch kit from autozone in my 93 accord last week. works great so far and has a lifetime replacement warranty. what part of maryland are you in? im in york/hanover pa. a simple wrench and socket set that goes up to 17mm along with a big hammer and a ball joint splitter (just in case) is pretty much all you will need to do the job.

EDIT: you will also want to have the flywheel resurfaced. i paid $44 for that at napa auto parts machine shop.

Yes i am at Essex, MD. I may check out 109 dollars durolast clutch kit from autozone. It sounds cool. I am looking for direction on how to do the job before I got myself in a lot of trouble.

Comment

or exedy oem clutch? got mine for 125...12yr/12k warranty
                      here's a short DIY on a 5th gen...
                      http://board.hondasociety.com/showthread.php?t=86569
                      I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                      X