transmission popping out of gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

transmission popping out of gear

ok guys, i need a little help. yes i did use the search feature so please, none of that, there were only like 2 post's with others having this problem and the answers werent there. anyway, i just replace my 5 speed transmission, clutch kit and flywheel in my 93 accord. my problem is that in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears it will pop out of gear and back into neutral. this doesnt happen immediately or all the time. it usually happens a few minutes after shifting into that gear and doesnt happen every time. it seems to me that it is more likely to pop out sooner and more often in higher gears (i.e. 5th will do it more often and sooner than 4th and so on). now when i say it does it in 3rd, 4th and 5th i dont mean that it's not possible that it could do it in 1st or 2nd, just hasnt happened to me. any suggestions or remedies appreciated.

thanks
    93 accord dx stock (mine)
    91 accord lx stock (wife's) click here for the FS listing
    86 crx HF (carb'd model) with B18B1 swap, custom OBD1 fuel injection conversion, custom mounts...... fun conversion, and more fun to drive
    86 ford ranger with dual sparkplug 2.3 FI conversion

sounds like syncro's. just my guess
    Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

shifts smoother than any trans i have ever felt. and dont grind at all.
      86 crx HF (carb'd model) with B18B1 swap, custom OBD1 fuel injection conversion, custom mounts...... fun conversion, and more fun to drive

Comment

I had the exact same proble, somehow i was low on tranny fluid. My syncros were crying for help. I put in some redline mtf, and my baby was back to normal.

Comment

isnt popping due to synchros?
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Yup. It is gonna get worse if he doesnt do anything about it.

Comment

Originally posted by TypeG
              sounds like syncro's. just my guess
              actually it isnt. i forgot the exact part but its normally called dog teeth they are little things that holds (locks) the gear in place...if they are bad they will slip out of gear.

the syncros is bad when u put it in gear and it grinds.

we talked about this in my transmission class...
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech
                actually it isnt. i forgot the exact part but its normally called dog teeth they are little things that holds (locks) the gear in place...if they are bad they will slip out of gear.

agreed.
                Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech

hmmmm, dogs teeth. would this be the 2 bolts that had springs at the end (inside transmission) and the spring press a ball bearing into a groove thats cut into a shaft whenever the gears are changed? my new transmission didnt have these pieces in there (the bolt, spring and ball bearing) so i pulled them out of the old transmission, which didnt do this popping out of gear stuff and put them in the new one. if this is the problem what exactly needs replacing? im guessing just the spring......

thanks for the replies everyone
                  Rodney
                  Last edited by crxls; 05-12-2005, 01:36 PM.

Comment

its actually called a collar

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/transmission3.htm

The purpose of the collar is to connect one of the two blue gears to the yellow drive shaft. The collar is connected, through the splines, directly to the yellow shaft and spins with the yellow shaft. However, the collar can slide left or right along the yellow shaft to engage either of the blue gears. Teeth on the collar, called dog teeth, fit into holes on the sides of the blue gears to engage them.
                    When you make a mistake while shifting and hear a horrible grinding sound, you are not hearing the sound of gear teeth mis-meshing. As you can see in these diagrams, all gear teeth are all fully meshed at all times. The grinding is the sound of the dog teeth trying unsuccessfully to engage the holes in the side of a blue gear.
                    FIZZ
                    it's the part that engages with the synchros isn't it? rounded off edges make it go in only partially.........
                    i think the teeth guides in with the synchros and then locks it....
                    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

i agree with that.... that reminds me of the skyline video that the guy sounded like his synchroids were grinding but actually he had a custom built tranny that the dog things were bent foreward so that is would catch the gear waaay better (i think) it was something like that)......

GET A TUNING QUOTE FROM ME AZ PEOPLE

"TÜNE.FREE Engine Management!"

...::SHAWNEE::...

Comment

This sounds like an expensive fix.

Comment

problem solved. cost $7 and some change. put in a little less than 2 quarts of honda MTF and it now stays in gear. you would have thought i would have changed that while the trans was out wouldnt you

Comment

LOL i told you.

Comment

Originally posted by crxls
                              problem solved. cost $7 and some change. put in a little less than 2 quarts of honda MTF and it now stays in gear. you would have thought i would have changed that while the trans was out wouldnt you
                              lol funny!

so nothing was in there?

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Working...
                              X