pressure washing engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pressure washing engine bay

I just pressure washed my motor a few days ago, covered my distributor, alternator, fuse boxes, however my radiator fan turns on sporadically every time i park my car. It will turn on for a minute, then turn off for a minute and then turn on!

it's pissin me off, could it be the thermostat?

hmm thats weird....could be a faulty coolant temp sensor....unlikely....you sure this never happned before you washed the engine?
    [deevergote]" It's not the car that makes the ricer... it's the ricer that ruins the car!"

Comment

That's perfectly normal. Since it has an electric, computer controlled fan, it turns on when it gets hot. If you park with a hot engine, it will want to cool itself down. Since there's no air flow, it cools by the fan
      Originally posted by DoctorCipher
      ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by InvaderTrax
        That's perfectly normal. Since it has an electric, computer controlled fan, it turns on when it gets hot. If you park with a hot engine, it will want to cool itself down. Since there's no air flow, it cools by the fan
        he says it turns on and off and on and off..etc. etc. im not sure what the problem could be but you might want to do a check on the temp sensor to see if that is even your problem..

Comment

i had a fan that was worn out that did that.
          it started doing it, then after awhile it was ratteling/vibrating bad.
          when the cars cold (so the fan wont start w/ your hand in it) check to see if your fan has alot of slop-play in it. it wears out where the shaft goes into the motor. i replaced motor and nomore fan issues-
          the main fan is on the pass. side.
          a/c fan on drivers side.
          dont know if it your prob. or not, but something to check out.

91 ex 1badwag
          91 lx wag (aka the beater)
          92 ex 4-door
          HONDA...its not just a way of life...its an ADDICTION!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

first thing to look at is the coolant quality...use a hydrometer to determine how well the coolant can cool the car...it can be a reason why its turning off and on.

then if thats all good then work your way up there to the sensors.

mine turns on like yours, it gets hot and wants to cool down.

to test ur thermostat...when the engine is warm and ran for at least 20 minutes, feel the top radiator hose, it SHOULD be hot...then feel the lower longer one...if that lower one is cold ur thermostat is dead...if not then its ok.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

it could be your cooling fan controller. it is made by motorola and can go bad from moisture or just old age. BUT it is normal for the fan to come on after you park.. esp. on automatics.

The system is designed to turn the main fan on after parking your car only if it is above 180 degrees or something like that. One part of the controller has a timer that starts counting as soon as you turn the engine off. It counts for 15 minutes. the other part watches your coolant temp just like when the engine is running. you'll notice that they cycle when idling for extended periods of time.

sometimes, the engine stays hot.. it can become hotter after you park it and turn the engine off (common in the south and west heat) the fans will cycle on and off until the engine cools to the proper temp for a max of 15 mins. You could be low on coolant too.

If it happens any other time other than when the engine is on, or 15 minutes after its off, your controller or relays are definately bad.

Comment

Working...
              X