This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oily stud

Hey how everyone doing? Ok awhile back I snapped the top of the front left stud that holds my valvecover down. I replaced it, when i put in the new stud it felt like it wasnt going to stop turning. So i backed it back out and noticed that there was oil on the stud and in the hole. Is this normal, it not what is going on? thanks late
    "My FOR SALE thread - Click here"

MEMBERS RIDE

99 SILVERADO

WHEEL FLIP

well duh, oil is under the valve cover.... so the stud is going to be exposed to oil is it not? sure, there will be oil inside the hole when you remove it- oil is a liquid. And yesm the oil may be interfering with the threading of the new stud into the hole.

Comment

That metal stud the acorn nut tightens down on is pretty long and goes quite a ways down into the block. The oil is probably interfering with the threads getting started. Just keep turning it, it'll eventually tighten down.

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
      We got something to say!
      Police this, condemn this, damn this
      We'll be heard anyway!
      Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

Oily stud? what the hell...

Oh wait, nevermind. The part that snapped is the acorn nut or the stud itself? If its the stud then there may not be enough threads left to grip the acorn nut.
        Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
        2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
        2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
        2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Working...
        X