No announcement yet.

ever install your own muffleR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the $65.00 bucks it costs, sometimes even less for the job to be done by a professional seems worth it. Not everyone has access to the right tools, and has the experience to install a muffler themselves. If you surveyed 100 people who have a new muffler on there car on this board, I guarantee 5 of them did it themselves (welded on CORRECTLY). Take it to the pros, you get what you pay for I always say.
    My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

it very easy to do it your self but me i would do it the right way save the money and get a real cat back try to fine a custom exaust place not mineke they are all hackers unless u know the guy and u know what they can do and u have seen his work

(\__/)
      (O.o )
      (> < ) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Comment

it is very easy to do yourself , however, i was working in a shop at the time, so i could use the welder and the cutter, so the install of the axle back took only 15 minutes to put on . i just cut the bolts, and then stock the hangers on the new axle back, and put in the gaskets and bolted it back up tight. i also added some car cocking in order to make sure there was no leaking and/or the gasket couldnt come lose...good luck mang!
        Audi A4 2.8 Quattro Sport

Comment

Originally posted by williamsvt
          cocking

hey ben this isnt a fammily place lol
          Last edited by micksf22accord; 04-29-2005, 10:09 PM.

Dynamic racing

Look out for 4 point cb7 strut bars for dohc!!!

Originally posted by deevergote
          bleh... i just put like 5 ounces of vodka in a 12 oz cup of mango iced tea...

Comment

Originally posted by Nycxeracer
            For the $65.00 bucks it costs, sometimes even less for the job to be done by a professional seems worth it. Not everyone has access to the right tools, and has the experience to install a muffler themselves. If you surveyed 100 people who have a new muffler on there car on this board, I guarantee 5 of them did it themselves (welded on CORRECTLY). Take it to the pros, you get what you pay for I always say.
            Shops around here charge 60 bucks an hour for exhaust work, my system cost me about 60 bucks... (In case you haven't noticed, the 60 bucks an hours doesn't include exhaust parts...)

Caleb
            My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

I search and found this thread. My muffler is totally disconnected from the pipe coming from the cat. I would like to install my own muffler. I am buying an ebay one that looks like this:

For about $80. All i will need to do is cut off my old muffler. Then i go to autozone and buy an adapter to change the old pipe's dimension (whats the stock measurements of the pipe from the cat?) to the 2.5" inlet of this muffler. And I use clamps to attach it right ? That's all? Someone get back to me with the measurements for the stock exhaust pipe.

EDIT: Will I need to add hangers? Or will the clamps alone be fine?

Comment

Yes... you will need hangers, instead of clamps, use jb weld. Also, your car will sound like a ricer if you cared... Good luck with the muffler install.

Caleb
                My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Really? Even with the silencer it won't sound stock? My stock muffler is broken b/c a guy hit me from behind. Any other cheap alternatives? OEM costs about $85 around here, and this ebay one is $40.

Comment

Yes with the silencer on it will make some noise still and it wont sound like stock at all. I installed one of those ebay catback system and it is decent with the noise but it still makes noise. And those bolts that are on the cat are a bitch to get out....I had to take out the entire front section and take it to the shop for them to drill it out. And those clamps make sure they are very very tight or else they will make the pipes leak.

Comment

I decided to not go with the ebay mufflers. I am going OEM style. Right now I have the single tip LX muffler. The LX single tip and EX dual tip are the same price ($60). So would a dual EX muffler bolt right onto my 92 LX? Should i get dealer EX tips or autozone tips afterwards? I hope it wont be hard to remove the current bolts and install this axelback.

Comment

just get the ex. it will bolt right up....obviously....think about it

Comment

i dunno anything about welding but wouldn't welding titanuim be hard since it has a higher melting point than aluminum?

Comment

Working...
                          X