ever install your own muffleR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ever install your own muffleR?

i was chattin with a fellow cb7-er and meineke came up..and the installation of mufflers as well..anyone ever do it themselves? is it easy? its basically jsu piping...so i dunno where the difficulty lies..i dont wanan jus do it right away and get stuck and be shit out of luck ya kno

Welding. You got a welder at the house? No? Thats where the difficulty lies.

If its a bolt on catback, make sure you don't have exhaust leaks.
    Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
    2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
    2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
    2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

yeh man...thats exactly what i was thinking about..welding and shit...sigh..off to meinekie for me i guess..

Comment

fuck no dude
        r u guys retarded
        come on now autzone
        buy some piping fitter that makes it go from the stock piping to the size of the muffler buy extender pipe if u need it.
        buy some clamps at autozone. theyre like 1.38 a piece.
        hacksaw the old muffler off and then bolt that bitch up. its not hard at all man and its held my muffler on air tight for a year now
        ]

Comment

Originally posted by RoCknRicEr037
          fuck no dude
          r u guys retarded
          come on now autzone
          buy some piping fitter that makes it go from the stock piping to the size of the muffler buy extender pipe if u need it.
          buy some clamps at autozone. theyre like 1.38 a piece.
          hacksaw the old muffler off and then bolt that bitch up. its not hard at all man and its held my muffler on air tight for a year now

WORD man thats what i had lol before i got my cat back

Dynamic racing

Look out for 4 point cb7 strut bars for dohc!!!

Originally posted by deevergote
          bleh... i just put like 5 ounces of vodka in a 12 oz cup of mango iced tea...

Comment

If you read that guys list of what to do, and it baffles you and/or you know it's beyond your tools and expertise...let meineke or a any reputable muffler shop do it. You always get what you pay for.
            My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nycxeracer
              If you read that guys list of what to do, and it baffles you and/or you know it's beyond your tools and expertise...let meineke or a any reputable muffler shop do it. You always get what you pay for.

I have a welder and that was just a roadside fix and stayed like that for 6 months no prob so...

Dynamic racing

Look out for 4 point cb7 strut bars for dohc!!!

Originally posted by deevergote
              bleh... i just put like 5 ounces of vodka in a 12 oz cup of mango iced tea...

Comment

i would take it to a shop...me and my friend installed an axle-back (so basically just the muffler) onto his 1997 maxima and it was a bitch. bolts were all rusted and ended up breaking, so we had to re-drill holes to bolt his new one on.

Comment

i ended up just buying a new cat when i installed mine . . . i fucked up the flange on the stock one trying to get those bolts off really badly
                  -Mark-
                  CB7
                  CD5

And if i could swim I'd swim out to you in the ocean
                  Swim out to where you were floating in the dark.

Comment

I did my own as well. I cut off the stock muffler and got a Flowmaster that slips right over the stock pipe and clamped it. I cut my own hangers from a 1/4 metal rod I picked up at the auto store and bent and cut to fit. I positioned the muffler and held it with a jack and welded the hangers. If you know what you are doing, there's nothing wrong with doing it yourself.

I usually take it to the muffler shop though to get a 2 1/4" piping made up (about $75US at Midas and they weld in the new my muffler I bring) but I had no plans of upgrading the 4th gen so I did it myself.

Comment

taking a car to get a shop to get a muffler put on is probly the dumbest thing ive ever heard of, serisouly changing my oil was harder. and yeah fizzbob i got a pos shit ebay engine that some fuckers screwed me over with and to show u how good my muffler setup was, when i backed into a curb it bent the pipe before it would have broke the clamps.
                      ]

Comment

What metal would be best for building your own exhaust? Aluminum, stainless, ???

Comment

i have no clue
                          ]

Comment

Originally posted by Fearit22
                            What metal would be best for building your own exhaust? Aluminum, stainless, ???
                            Stainless or titanium... but prices are really high. I got a pretty good Exhaust system my friend and I built for my 92 Accord, and it sounds good when you step on it, but rather quiet when you driving easy. It consist of a high-flow cat, a cherry bomb, and a stock muffler. I have this welded so I can unbolt any part of this anytime with no problem. Plus the bolts I use are stainless so future removal is a walk in the park. I can put a system together if you are interested... just email me at supercreed2002@yahoo.com.

Whenever I change my oil soon, I'll get some shots of my exhaust system.

Caleb
                            My official vouch thread!

Updated!!! --> My official turbo progress thread

Comment

Nah, it's cool... thanks for the info though. I have access to a couple different kinds of welders so I was just curious which metal and which welder I would be using for it. I plan on building my own 3" downpipe and full exhaust for my turbo install within the next 2 months. I want to run it without a cat, but I know it can cause trouble for reliability.

Comment

Working...
                              X