No announcement yet.

How to Bypass Clutch Dampener?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never did. The car got destroyed in December, 2015 (a junkie was speeding the wrong way down my one-way street... hit it so hard that he flipped his TL on its roof.) I was planning to zip-tie it, though. My car's fuel pump crapped out, and I had planned on changing it the following spring.
    My friend bought what was left of the car and took the engine. I'll have to ask him how he rigged the clutch line.

Exedy is definitely a good choice. OEM Honda manufacturer. It's what I always recommend.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
      I never did. The car got destroyed in December, 2015 (a junkie was speeding the wrong way down my one-way street... hit it so hard that he flipped his TL on its roof.) I was planning to zip-tie it, though. My car's fuel pump crapped out, and I had planned on changing it the following spring.
      My friend bought what was left of the car and took the engine. I'll have to ask him how he rigged the clutch line.

Exedy is definitely a good choice. OEM Honda manufacturer. It's what I always recommend.
      Man that sucks... Did you get any insurance money?..

Cool! I'll do Exedy then. Syncromesh tranny fluid?
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Synchromesh is what I used.

And yeah. A whopping $1500 from insurance. My wife lost her beloved and pristine Mini Cooper S. My car was pushed into it. She got $8500. We put the money together and got a brand new cr-z. It's awesome, but we'd both rather have our old cars back!

Comment

Synchromesh is what I used.

And yeah. A whopping $1500 from insurance. My wife lost her beloved and pristine Mini Cooper S. My car was pushed into it. She got $8500. We put the money together and got a brand new cr-z. It's awesome, but we'd both rather have our old cars back!
          Man.... Can't even imagine. Isn't the CR-Z a hybrid? They sure look cool.
          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Yeah, though it doesn't get very impressive MPG. It has an electric motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Gets MAYBE 33mpg with mainly city driving. Not bad, but my old Fit managed 36mpg. The CRZ and Fit are based on the same platform, with very similar engines. It's absurd that the CRZ gets worse fuel economy! It's thoroughly impractical for transporting stuff. 2 passengers only (the JDM models have a rear seat, but it wasn't up to US safety standards... not that anyone with legs would actually be able to use it.) It has 3 modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport. It always starts no Normal, which is ok for the most part... but not fun. Sport is fun. Makes it feel like the old supercharged Mini, but it's annoying that you have to set it every time you start the car. Eco is "rear end me" mode. Seriously. The car doesn't want to move!

and what I got as a replacement toy (sadly needs nothing at all, so I have no work to do!):

Sorry for the thread jack. I was back at my computer, so I figured I'd share pics of the carnage.

Comment

Yeah, though it doesn't get very impressive MPG. It has an electric motor sandwiched between the engine and transmission. Gets MAYBE 33mpg with mainly city driving. Not bad, but my old Fit managed 36mpg. The CRZ and Fit are based on the same platform, with very similar engines. It's absurd that the CRZ gets worse fuel economy! It's thoroughly impractical for transporting stuff. 2 passengers only (the JDM models have a rear seat, but it wasn't up to US safety standards... not that anyone with legs would actually be able to use it.) It has 3 modes: Eco, Normal, and Sport. It always starts no Normal, which is ok for the most part... but not fun. Sport is fun. Makes it feel like the old supercharged Mini, but it's annoying that you have to set it every time you start the car. Eco is "rear end me" mode. Seriously. The car doesn't want to move!

and what I got as a replacement toy (sadly needs nothing at all, so I have no work to do!):

Sorry for the thread jack. I was back at my computer, so I figured I'd share pics of the carnage.
              Carnage is right! Ugh!

I've never heard much about the CR-Z, but I thought it was so sporty looking. I saw hybrid and kinda forgot about them. That is suprising that it doesn't get better MPG than that, it's tiny! At least it has a sport mode....

Those miata's look fun, but I'd only like it as a second car. I need to have space to haul stuff in. I'm a drummer, so I occasionally squeeze my whole kit and hardware in my CB.
              What does it feel like not to have anything wrong with your car?! I'm still waiting for you to supercharge the miata! Hahaha.

I asked the questions, I was kinda begging for someone to thread jack!
              Last edited by GTRON; 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM.
              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Yeah, the Miata is definitely a toy. It's my daily in the summer, but I also have the 2006 CTS-V you can see in the driveway in the pic with the CB7. That's the car we take when we want to carry stuff, or other people! I used to have a 2009 Fit (sold it to a friend last year... it has 415,000 miles on it now) That thing was GREAT for fuel economy and fitting stuff in. I managed to fit my whole band's equipment in there!

I actually hate not having a car to work on. I mean, yeah... I'd like to do some mods to all three cars (a supercharger for each! ) but anything I would want to do would be pretty major. I often find myself browsing Craigslist for old Volvos. I REALLY want an old 240 or 960 to mess with. Wagon would be ideal, but I'd take a sedan. The 240 would definitely be up for a V8 swap at some point. A 960 may just stay stock, since I love the idea of the Porsche-designed I6 under the hood! My wife's first car was a Volvo 240, so she's actually on board.

Comment

It might sound stupid but this is one of my favorite mods done to my car. The clutch had a better more direct feel IMO and I felt more in touch with the car. The first thing that I noticed was how quickly I was able to bleed the air out of the line. It always took me a REALLY long time to bleed the air out with the damper. And yes, I'm aware of the slave cyl holding air pockets but that wasn't the case. I try to keep hardlines to a maximum and flexlines to a minimum so I ended up modding the OEM hardline with a flare union that joins/adapts the 1/4" tubing to the 3/16" tubing just before jumping over to the tranny. Between the damper delete, technafit clutch line (replaces short OEM rubber clutch hose), hybrid racing shift cable bushings, a DIY rod end as a forward gate bushing and a modded 92-96 Prelude shifter I could not be any happier. It's a bunch of small things that really added up to create a well tuned and direct feel. Lastly, the older Civics/Integras (EK and DC for example) never came with a clutch damper so I felt that it would be okay to mimic what Honda did for those cars.

Comment

Yeah, the Miata is definitely a toy. It's my daily in the summer, but I also have the 2006 CTS-V you can see in the driveway in the pic with the CB7. That's the car we take when we want to carry stuff, or other people! I used to have a 2009 Fit (sold it to a friend last year... it has 415,000 miles on it now) That thing was GREAT for fuel economy and fitting stuff in. I managed to fit my whole band's equipment in there!

I actually hate not having a car to work on. I mean, yeah... I'd like to do some mods to all three cars (a supercharger for each! ) but anything I would want to do would be pretty major. I often find myself browsing Craigslist for old Volvos. I REALLY want an old 240 or 960 to mess with. Wagon would be ideal, but I'd take a sedan. The 240 would definitely be up for a V8 swap at some point. A 960 may just stay stock, since I love the idea of the Porsche-designed I6 under the hood! My wife's first car was a Volvo 240, so she's actually on board.
                    415k miles?! Dang! You must of taken good care of that car!

Volvos are such cool cars. I have a friend who just got a (I think) a 2008 240 Sedan, 5 cylinder turbo, 6 speed. The thing sounds so cool, plus it has such a classy interior. I'm trying to convince him to put a little something on the exhaust It also does great in the snow, being 4 wheel drive.
                    Those old ones are pretty cool looking. I know someone who owns a white one. He has a giant tailpipe sticking out of it haha.
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
                      It might sound stupid but this is one of my favorite mods done to my car. The clutch had a better more direct feel IMO and I felt more in touch with the car. The first thing that I noticed was how quickly I was able to bleed the air out of the line. It always took me a REALLY long time to bleed the air out with the damper. And yes, I'm aware of the slave cyl holding air pockets but that wasn't the case. I try to keep hardlines to a maximum and flexlines to a minimum so I ended up modding the OEM hardline with a flare union that joins/adapts the 1/4" tubing to the 3/16" tubing just before jumping over to the tranny. Between the damper delete, technafit clutch line (replaces short OEM rubber clutch hose), hybrid racing shift cable bushings, a DIY rod end as a forward gate bushing and a modded 92-96 Prelude shifter I could not be any happier. It's a bunch of small things that really added up to create a well tuned and direct feel. Lastly, the older Civics/Integras (EK and DC for example) never came with a clutch damper so I felt that it would be okay to mimic what Honda did for those cars.
                      Yeah, that was the story of some guys, then other dudes were like "I barely noticed it". But I'm totally going to bypass it. I don't know if I'll be fabricating any hard lines for the moment being, I'll just be buying a flexible line.
                      I'm new to all this manual stuff, what are cable bushings?....
                      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                        415k miles?! Dang! You must of taken good care of that car!

Volvos are such cool cars. I have a friend who just got a (I think) a 2008 240 Sedan, 5 cylinder turbo, 6 speed. The thing sounds so cool, plus it has such a classy interior. I'm trying to convince him to put a little something on the exhaust It also does great in the snow, being 4 wheel drive.
                        Those old ones are pretty cool looking. I know someone who owns a white one. He has a giant tailpipe sticking out of it haha.
                        The 240 only went until 1993, and had 4 cylinder engines only. You're probably thinking of an S60. Made under Ford ownership, those weren't quite as reliable as the old ones, but they were definitely luxurious. My mother in law has one (same turbo 5 cylinder... but auto.) It's actually quite fun to drive! If I got a Ford-era Volvo, it would be a V70R (wagon) or S60R (sedan). They're AWD, 300hp, turbo, and come with 6 speed manual transmissions. They like to break, and when they break, they BREAK... but they're really cool cars. The S60R/V70R are Volvo's contributions to the market segment that contained the S4, M3, AMG C32/C55, and the Saab 9-3 Aero / Turbo X. Basically, they were Volvo's attempt at making a high performance luxury sedan/wagon. Jeremy Clarkson reviewed one on Top Gear, and said it was quite good... but not quite on par with the competition.

This is the 240 I'm talking about:

Comment

The 240 only went until 1993, and had 4 cylinder engines only. You're probably thinking of an S60. Made under Ford ownership, those weren't quite as reliable as the old ones, but they were definitely luxurious. My mother in law has one (same turbo 5 cylinder... but auto.) It's actually quite fun to drive! If I got a Ford-era Volvo, it would be a V70R (wagon) or S60R (sedan). They're AWD, 300hp, turbo, and come with 6 speed manual transmissions. They like to break, and when they break, they BREAK... but they're really cool cars. The S60R/V70R are Volvo's contributions to the market segment that contained the S4, M3, AMG C32/C55, and the Saab 9-3 Aero / Turbo X. Basically, they were Volvo's attempt at making a high performance luxury sedan/wagon. Jeremy Clarkson reviewed one on Top Gear, and said it was quite good... but not quite on par with the competition.

This is the 240 I'm talking about:
                          260, that's what I meant! I think the turbo 5 in his makes like 205hp.
                          300hp would be really fun!

Speaking of Top Gear, have you been watching the Grand Tour? What a show! I watched the first one this last weekend, I couldn't believe how good the production was on it. We were watching it on our 4k Vizio, it looked amazing.
                          Never mind watching those guys messing around in million dollar hyper cars!
                          I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Yeah. I've watched every episode to date. The last one of the first season airs this week, I believe. I'm kinda sad.

There are a few episodes that don't seem to focus much on cars at all, which gets boring. I like the guys, but I want to watch them talking about cars... not just doing stupid stuff with Amazon's bottomless wallet! I want the American to disappear for the 2nd season, too. He's just terrible. Overall, though, I like it.
                            I met my wife online, a little over 3 years ago. Before we met in person, she asked me which of the Top Gear guys I was most like. I decided to ask my friends. Everyone said the same thing...

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                              Yeah, that was the story of some guys, then other dudes were like "I barely noticed it". But I'm totally going to bypass it. I don't know if I'll be fabricating any hard lines for the moment being, I'll just be buying a flexible line. I'm new to all this manual stuff, what are cable bushings?....
                              Def. on the right track! To add in the OEM hardline plus mod it is a fair amount of work (esp w/ the engine in the car!), so the full flexline is very quick and convenient. Shifter cable bushings are the bushings that go into the circular cable ends of the manual shifter cables. The honda ones are rubber, they do a decent job but the aftermarket ones are usually aluminum but can also be brass, delrin, etc. They will yield a more solid and precise shifter feel. If you ever go that route I would HIGHLY recommend the Hybrid Racing HYB-SCB-01-02 ones. These 2 attach @ the transmission. The cable with the big bushing needs to move in 2 directions (2 axis), therefore, a spherical bushing is the only way to go. Do some research and compare corsport or twm VS hybrid racing bushings. And again, the bigger bushing @ the shifter inside the car is also a 2 axis and that's why I made my own bushing out of a rod end.

Comment

Corsport also makes trans side bushings. I just ordered a set, they offer free shipping right now too. Can't wait to install with my H22 and 5speed.

Comment

Working...
                                X