Moisture in taillight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture in taillight

Hey, any tips on how to remove moisture from inside a 92 taillight?
    I know how it got in there, how do I get in out?
    I'm faster then a prius

Heat, air and time. Like a hair drier. If it's got mold in it that's another thing.

If you heat it up and air it out let it sit for about an hour because your not done. Once it cools it will condensate again as the moisture is still in the air inside the taillight. Take the hair drier to it again. You may have to repeat this several times. I don't recommend a heat gun.

If you need it Loctite makes an RTV for lenses. It's called Loctite Superflex RTV. It comes in black clear and I think white.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
      Heat, air and time. Like a hair drier. If it's got mold in it that's another thing.

If you heat it up and air it out let it sit for about an hour because your not done. Once it cools it will condensate again as the moisture is still in the air inside the taillight. Take the hair drier to it again. You may have to repeat this several times. I don't recommend a heat gun.

If you need it Loctite makes an RTV for lenses. It's called Loctite Superflex RTV. It comes in black clear and I think white.
      So I should take it out, and set it in the sun to dry out?
      I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I saw something online on someone putting a taillight in the oven at 150 degrees... That scares me... I might test try on a bad tail I have sitting around
        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Taking it out and sitting it in the sun may work.

I've put fogs in the oven. Don't remember what temperature. But the purpose was to soften up the sealant in order to get them apart not draw moisture out.

Best bet is a hair drier or sitting it in the sun to dry out. Just make sure you fix the source of the leak or you will be doing it all over again.

Comment

Taking it out and sitting it in the sun may work.

I've put fogs in the oven. Don't remember what temperature. But the purpose was to soften up the sealant in order to get them apart not draw moisture out.

Best bet is a hair drier or sitting it in the sun to dry out. Just make sure you fix the source of the leak or you will be doing it all over again.
            The leak was gaskets, I tried yoga Mat, which did not work. I found that foam sheets work.
            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Comment

Old mouse pads work well too.

Comment

I used to have to dry out the tail light in my Fit occasionally. I just uninstalled it on a sunny morning, dumped it out, and sat it in the sun. By early evening, it was dry and ready to be reinstalled.
                  A hair dryer would help speed up the process a bit. As would silica gel or DampRid (stick it in a closed box with one of those things, and they'll eventually draw the moisture out.)

The oven should be unnecessary, unless you're in a huge rush.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    I used to have to dry out the tail light in my Fit occasionally. I just uninstalled it on a sunny morning, dumped it out, and sat it in the sun. By early evening, it was dry and ready to be reinstalled.
                    A hair dryer would help speed up the process a bit. As would silica gel or DampRid (stick it in a closed box with one of those things, and they'll eventually draw the moisture out.)

The oven should be unnecessary, unless you're in a huge rush.
                    I'm just going to stick it in the sun for a bit..
                    I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Silica. Never thought of that.

Comment

Two words guys. Hairdryer, shop-vac. Worked like a dream.
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Silica. Never thought of that.
                          One of my coworkers would collect the little gel packs from every box of stuff we opened at work. She would stick them in plastic bowls all around her vacation trailer in the off-season to keep the dampness from making everything all mildewy and smelly.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            One of my coworkers would collect the little gel packs from every box of stuff we opened at work. She would stick them in plastic bowls all around her vacation trailer in the off-season to keep the dampness from making everything all mildewy and smelly.
                            Huh. Interesting. Where did you work?
                            I'm faster then a prius

Comment

That was at Home Depot. Lots of those silica gel packets in random boxes of products there!

Comment

Working...
                              X