Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's really involved?

Hey Guys, stupid beginner question.

What's actually involved with slapping a turbo on a F22?

I highly doubt I would ever do anything like this, at least to my car. This is purely out of curiosity! And do not judge!

The average idiot (hmmm, me?) looks at a $500 eBay turbo kit, and thinks: Hey! I slap that on, and I'm a race car!!! LOL

What's actually involved.
    I'm faster then a prius

Not very much is needed to physically"slap" on a turbo. Hardest thing would be the oil drain to the oil pan I guess. But that's all the easy stuff. Getting the car to run properly with the turbo is another story. You need supporting mods. Trust me, and I say it from experience, I slapped a simple DSM turbo set up on my Accord many years ago, didn't get a tune blew the ring lands on 2 motors in like 6 months time.

Comment

Lots of reading is mandatory if you want to diy.
      Lots of money if you want it to be reliable.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

cheap
        fast
        reliable

pick 2.

you can go super cheap and use a DSM manifold with an ebay turbo for a couple hundred bucks, but you'll kill ringlands and blow up turbos

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

If you expect it to last, you'll need forged pistons. That means a full bottom-end rebuild.

Absolutely NOBODY on here is going to be willing to take the time to teach you everything that is involved... especially when you refer to it as "slapping on a turbo." That quite clearly indicates that 1) you are starting from 0 in terms of knowledge (meaning you didn't bother to actually attempt any research prior to asking), and 2) that you're looking for the cheap, easy route... which nobody here with a shred of sense is going to encouragingly hold your hand while you blow up your engine.

Go to Amazon and buy Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Read it. Buy Honda/Acura Engine Performance by Mike Kojima. Read it. Go to www.helminc.com and buy the factory shop manual for your specific car.
          Once you do those things, you'll be equipped with the necessary knowledge and resources to build your own turbo F22A.
          Once you've got everything ready, line up a good tuner that is familiar with Honda engines. Ask what engine management system they prefer, and buy that. OR, you can attempt to learn to tune on your own... I can suggest books for that as well, if you'd like. Get through the others first, though. If you can't hack that, you're not going to want to get into learning how to tune.

Comment

But miiiiiiike spending money on knowledge is stupid when I can just get the internet to tell me what to do
            sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Obviously a stock motor won't take 20 psi of boost but surely there's some level of boost that a stock F22 will handle without blowing itself up?
              1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
              VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
              NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
              CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

I'm sure it would take 20 psi no worries.

If you were putting out 1l/h of air.

Psi doesn't mean much when it's not connected to a volume. 1000 L at 10 psi is more than 10L at 30 psi.
                sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by masospaghetti View Post
                  Obviously a stock motor won't take 20 psi of boost but surely there's some level of boost that a stock F22 will handle without blowing itself up?
                  No.
                  The piston are not designed for it. A ring land will break eventually. Some people have gotten lucky, and it has lasted a very long time. Some people have had brand new pistons fail on them (with low boost, a reasonable sized turbo, a good tune, and responsible driving) in less than 6 months. evil_demon_01 is one of those people... and he was a very successful (award winning, in fact) Honda Tech before he was offered a position at Honda Corporate. In other words... if it blew up on him, it's not likely to last for someone with significantly less experience and knowledge. That was probably his 3rd or 4th turbo Honda engine, too.
                  A stock 25 year old F22A is about as likely to be "fine" under ANY amount of boost as your 85 year old grandma is to be "fine" while running a marathon at ANY speed.

If you want turbo, use appropriate parts, or expect things to go boom.

Comment

or go nitrous for what your desire, just don't get crazy.
                    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Originally posted by HondaFan81 View Post
                      or go nitrous for what your desire, just don't get crazy.
                      Wow deev and I were just talking about you! Glad to see your still active. Sorry about the thread jack off topic post.
                      ~Nick~
                      FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                      MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                        No.
                        The piston are not designed for it. A ring land will break eventually. Some people have gotten lucky, and it has lasted a very long time. Some people have had brand new pistons fail on them (with low boost, a reasonable sized turbo, a good tune, and responsible driving) in less than 6 months. evil_demon_01 is one of those people... and he was a very successful (award winning, in fact) Honda Tech before he was offered a position at Honda Corporate. In other words... if it blew up on him, it's not likely to last for someone with significantly less experience and knowledge. That was probably his 3rd or 4th turbo Honda engine, too.
                        A stock 25 year old F22A is about as likely to be "fine" under ANY amount of boost as your 85 year old grandma is to be "fine" while running a marathon at ANY speed.

If you want turbo, use appropriate parts, or expect things to go boom.
                        Well his name is Evil_Demon! hahaha
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                        X