Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wagon VS Sedan TCU.

Alright guys,

so ive scoured the site, and cant seem to find much info. im replacing the transmission in my CB9 with one from a cb7 sedan. Everythings bolted up so far, everything seems the same. as far as i know, the cb9 has a slightly different final drive, to compensate for the Heavier car.

My question is 1. will my original wagon TCU work with the Sedan trans (which im fairly sure shouldnt be a problem)

2. is it advisable? i have the sedan parts car here so i can pull it out no worries, its just a question of whether it is worth the effort. cheers!
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

The worst that could happen is that your shift points are off. I don't remember seeing any wagon TCU differences as far as the physical wiring.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

my wagon is likely getting a new transmission at some point. from what i've looked at online regarding parts, it seems it's the same transmission so i'm assuming the tcu should be the same. you can check on majestic honda's website for part #s. that's what i do to see if there is a difference regarding wagon vs sedan/coupe.

the few differences i have seen so far are: parking brake cables, obviously body (tail lights, bumper), catalytic converter.

Comment

The cat Converter? really? im fairly sure the ones on my two are nearly the same.

the wagon and sedan transmission arent the same, the wagons Final Drive is different.

I think the shift points willl be a little lower with the wagon tcu on sedan trans, might be more economical. hmm

Comment

yes, i was looking one time and some cats specifically said it didn't fit the wagon.

Comment

I've had to go the other direction. The TCM in my 93 CB9 LX went haywire, so I installed one I had from a CB9 EX. That operated the transmission fine (I wasn't driving it so I can't say how it affected shift points; my daughter noticed some difference, but couldn't explain it very well). When the TCM in my 92 EX coupe started acting up in TX; I borrowed the EX CB9 TCM and took it to TX to get the coupe home. It seemed to operate that transmission just fine.

I currently have the original CB9 LX TCM out for repair. If that comes back OK; I'll probably send the coupe TCM for repair; then keep the CB9 EX TCM as a spare (along with CB9 EX tranny I have).
            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-11-2016, 11:01 PM.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

It's amazing how little information I'm able to find on automatics!

If the gearing and shift points are different between wagon and sedan/coupe, I don't expect that the differences are terribly drastic. I'd think the only real difference would be lower shift points at partial throttle. Won't do any damage, for sure. Chances are, you might not even notice it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                I've had to go the other direction. The TCM in my 93 CB9 LX went haywire, so I installed one I had from a CB9 EX. That operated the transmission fine (I wasn't driving it so I can't say how it affected shift points; my daughter noticed some difference, but couldn't explain it very well). When the TCM in my 92 EX coupe started acting up in TX; I borrowed the EX CB9 TCM and took it to TX to get the coupe home. It seemed to operate that transmission just fine.

I currently have the original CB9 LX TCM out for repair. If that comes back OK; I'll probably send the coupe TCM for repair; then keep the CB9 EX TCM as a spare (along with CB9 EX tranny I have).
                I'm an idiot, I sent the EX coupe TCM instead of the wagon TCM. Got it back today (I shipped it last Friday, he got it Monday, 1 day turnaround - he shipped it Tuesday). Installed it in the wagon (mistakenly, coupe is up on jack stands anyway) and it worked great for a short trip to Auto Zone. Just purchased another repair and this time I really sent the EX coupe TCM. Look for "mandigital" on ebay. He also repairs climate controls, ECM, gage clusters, etc. I may ask him if he can repair gage clusters with corroded circuit boards.
                Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-19-2016, 10:59 PM.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I don't need anything repaired but cheers mate!

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
                    I don't need anything repaired but cheers mate!
                    I guess it would be a little out of the way to ship it to the US anyway!

Comment

What's all done to repair the TCU? If it's just a little cap job, I can post a DIY on that if someone wants to ship me theirs.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                      X