Akebono rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Akebono rebuild

Looks like we cooked the boots on the piston of the calipers at our last race. Put the Akebono calipers on a few races back so we could buy race pads. I measured our Akebono pistons at 54mm and our old Nissins at 57mm with the same tape measure, and several times each. I had thought they were the same. Am I seeing things?

I went on RockAuto to buy new seals for a rebuild. It seems like they are saying that the pistons are the same size for both the Akebonos and Nissins.
    Last edited by ukemike; 03-20-2016, 12:42 PM.
    ==========================
    1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
    1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
    Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
    Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
    M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
    Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Would it be an option to buy lifetime warranty remans from your parts store? That way you can beat the hell out of them, and just get another one when needed. Rather than rebuilding every time?

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
      Would it be an option to buy lifetime warranty remans from your parts store? That way you can beat the hell out of them, and just get another one when needed. Rather than rebuilding every time?
      That's an interesting idea. I'll look into it next time. I wonder if you can specify the akebono vs nissin. I know on the parts stores it can be hard to tell what you are going to get. We need the akebonos since race pads are not generally available on the nissins.

I did the rebuild on the one that needed it. When I got it opened up the seal was still in good shape, only the boot was damaged. In the process of putting it back together, I tore the first boot. It was not easy at all. Getting the seal in was easy. Getting the boot in was easy too. Getting the piston in with the boot was not easy at all. I finally got it. It would have been impossible without compressed air.

After the ordeal of the first one I re-inspected the left caliper and decided that it was still good.
      ==========================
      1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
      1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
      Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
      Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
      M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
      Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Working...
      X