Tdc on flywheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tdc on flywheel?

When I was replacing my clutch and flywheel I just took of the old one and lined up the bolts for the new one. Put my bellhousing on and got eveything hooked up. I got to thinking and my old flywheel had two or three yellow marks on it and my new one didn't? I lined my new flywheel up with the pilot hole on the motor. I'm just hoping everything is alright and I don't have to pull my bellhousing off again to fix something..... Let me know
    Skeazzy

Is it an aftermarket flywheel? Some don't have marks.
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by lbus9168 View Post
      Is it an aftermarket flywheel? Some don't have marks.
      Yes. I bought a luk flywheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeazzy View Post
        When I was replacing my clutch and flywheel I just took of the old one and lined up the bolts for the new one. Put my bellhousing on and got eveything hooked up. I got to thinking and my old flywheel had two or three yellow marks on it and my new one didn't? I lined my new flywheel up with the pilot hole on the motor. I'm just hoping everything is alright and I don't have to pull my bellhousing off again to fix something..... Let me know
        Skeazzy
        I mean, it's a flywheel. It doesn't have a certain side that needs to be facing a certain direction

The TDC marks are there for your convenience when timing the engine.

You can put a mark there yourself if you want to.

Comment

Your only other option besides removing the transl to add the marks, is to use tuning software and a chipped ECU.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

If you hjavent already put it all back together id line it up to TDC and make a Mark on it, so you can time it correctly later.

Comment

If you hjavent already put it all back together id line it up to TDC and make a Mark on it, so you can time it correctly later.
              I mean you can time it fine anyways. And you can (theoretically) mark it with everything installed. Finding TDC without the mark is super easy. Just not super easy to find ignition timing.

Comment

Yeah I was talking about ignition timing, but the flywheel mark helps when doing timing belts and stuff too.

Basically, I'd just mark it anyway no matter what haha

Comment

Yeah I was talking about ignition timing, but the flywheel mark helps when doing timing belts and stuff too.

Basically, I'd just mark it anyway no matter what haha
                  So you're saying in order for my motor to run right I have to have my flywheel a certain way? I'm confused to be honest. I thought you just slapped the flyhweel on there and you were good to go... Please inform me as I'm pretty new to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Frijoles View Post
                    I mean you can time it fine anyways. And you can (theoretically) mark it with everything installed. Finding TDC without the mark is super easy. Just not super easy to find ignition timing.
                    Why would I need to find ignition timing in the future?

Comment

The flywheel has a total of 9 holes on the mating surface which bolts to the crankshaft. 8 of those holes are for the flywheel bolts and one, which is smaller, is for a dowel which protrudes off the end of the crankshaft and into the flywheel (once installed). That dowel prevents installing the flywheel onto the crankshaft any other way then the right way.

I noticed you mentioned the paint, red, yellow, and blue as I recall. You never mentioned the marks. The factory flywheel will have marks which are in a sense "highlighted" by the paint. Replacement flywheels, or any that I have ever installed or heard of, will not have these paint marks highlighting the timing marks.

If your flywheel does not have timing marks then make certain not to remove or adjust the distributor as you have no way to re-set the base ignition timing.

As for TDC, TDC can be found with a couple sonic straws (for instance) taped very well together with the number one spark plug out using the straw to gauge when the piston is all the way up combined with the timing marks on the cam gear given the upper timing cover and valve cover are removed. It's backwoods but that's the best advice I can give to someone dealing with a flywheel without timing marks. The best thing to do is add timing marks while the flywheel is off using your old flywheel as a template.

Again, unless I've misunderstood, check for the marks, don't look for paint, there won't be any.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                        The flywheel has a total of 9 holes on the mating surface which bolts to the crankshaft. 8 of those holes are for the flywheel bolts and one, which is smaller, is for a dowel which protrudes off the end of the crankshaft and into the flywheel (once installed). That dowel prevents installing the flywheel onto the crankshaft any other way then the right way.

I noticed you mentioned the paint, red, yellow, and blue as I recall. You never mentioned the marks. The factory flywheel will have marks which are in a sense "highlighted" by the paint. Replacement flywheels, or any that I have ever installed or heard of, will not have these paint marks highlighting the timing marks.

If your flywheel does not have timing marks then make certain not to remove or adjust the distributor as you have no way to re-set the base ignition timing.

As for TDC, TDC can be found with a couple sonic straws (for instance) taped very well together with the number one spark plug out using the straw to gauge when the piston is all the way up combined with the timing marks on the cam gear given the upper timing cover and valve cover are removed. It's backwoods but that's the best advice I can give to someone dealing with a flywheel without timing marks. The best thing to do is add timing marks while the flywheel is off using your old flywheel as a template.

Again, unless I've misunderstood, check for the marks, don't look for paint, there won't be any.
                        Yo Hellraisin. Thanks for the quick response man. You're always replying to my stupid f*cking noob threads with no hesitation. I appreciate it man. Back on topic. I didn't remove my distributor but when I was removing and installing my new flywheel it moved the rotation quite a bit. So I'm assuming my engine isn't tdc. Does it have to be tdc in order for me to start it and it to run properly? Also, I plan on doing the timing belt soon because I recently bought the car and the previous owner said so and so did it but as that goes I would like reassurance. So from what I've gathered I'm going to need to mark my new flywheel in order to change my timing belts?

Comment

Moving it is fine so long as the timing belts connected. I am.not sure about f22's as I haven't done mine yetz but i am fairly sure you have tdc marks on your crank pulley, that lines up with the timing covers. You need the mark to set ignition timing. Just make sure its there its a no brainer.

EDIT: Im wrong, you do need the flywheel for tdc. Pulley doesn't have a mark
                          Last edited by lbus9168; 08-24-2015, 03:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skeazzy View Post
                            Yo Hellraisin. Thanks for the quick response man. You're always replying to my stupid f*cking noob threads with no hesitation. I appreciate it man. Back on topic. I didn't remove my distributor but when I was removing and installing my new flywheel it moved the rotation quite a bit. So I'm assuming my engine isn't tdc. Does it have to be tdc in order for me to start it and it to run properly? Also, I plan on doing the timing belt soon because I recently bought the car and the previous owner said so and so did it but as that goes I would like reassurance. So from what I've gathered I'm going to need to mark my new flywheel in order to change my timing belts?
                            Your just doing a clutch/flywheel job right? Not timing? If so then the ignition timing will be off. TDC doesn't mean anything as for ignition timing. Not to mention base ignition timing is not set at TDC it's set at 15* advanced. When the ECU is in "set base ignition timing mode" the timing light will flash and cast light onto the flywheel, with the distributor bolts loose so you can adjust it you align the 15* mark with the pointer on the block.

Your engine, if you have not messed with the timing belt or anything related on the timing side of the engine as for timing components, is in TDC. <--- I meant in time. If you moved the distributor and no have no timing marks to set base ignition timing by then your ignition timing is off and you have no way to reset it other than by the sound of the engine. Which can get you in the ball park in a sense but isn't correct by any means.

Base ignition timing is just that, base ignition timing. The computer adjusts the ignition timing once the ECU is taken out of "set base ignition timing mode". In fact you can see the computer at work adjusting the ignition timing once you take the ECU out of set base ignition timing mode. The ignition timing is no longer steady it varies with every flash of the timing light. And it changes with RPM as well.

As for timing with the timing belt, you can find TDC without the mark on the flywheel. With the timing covers removed so you can see the balance shaft alignment dots, the two marks on opposing sides of the cam gear combined with physically feeling where the number 1 piston is in it's stroke TDC can be found. And I'm absolutely certain that I would have no issues what so ever doing so however I don't recommend it. You really have to understand what your doing to go at the timing like that. It can be done and it's not impossible without the flywheel TDC mark, but it's not the correct procedure to do so.

I'd double check and make damn sure your flywheel does or doesn't have the marks. They are not painted, they are sort of etched in.
                            Last edited by H311RA151N; 08-25-2015, 02:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                              Your just doing a clutch/flywheel job right? Not timing? If so then the ignition timing will be off. TDC doesn't mean anything as for ignition timing. Not to mention base ignition timing is not set at TDC it's set at 15* advanced. When the ECU is in "set base ignition timing mode" the timing light will flash and cast light onto the flywheel, with the distributor bolts loose so you can adjust it you align the 15* mark with the pointer on the block.

Your engine, if you have not messed with the timing belt or anything related on the timing side of the engine as for timing components, is in TDC. <--- I meant in time. If you moved the distributor and no have no timing marks to set base ignition timing by then your ignition timing is off and you have no way to reset it other than by the sound of the engine. Which can get you in the ball park in a sense but isn't correct by any means.

Base ignition timing is just that, base ignition timing. The computer adjusts the ignition timing once the ECU is taken out of "set base ignition timing mode". In fact you can see the computer at work adjusting the ignition timing once you take the ECU out of set base ignition timing mode. The ignition timing is no longer steady it varies with every flash of the timing light. And it changes with RPM as well.

As for timing with the timing belt, you can find TDC without the mark on the flywheel. With the timing covers removed so you can see the balance shaft alignment dots, the two marks on opposing sides of the cam gear combined with physically feeling where the number 1 piston is in it's stroke TDC can be found. And I'm absolutely certain that I would have no issues what so ever doing so however I don't recommend it. You really have to understand what your doing to go at the timing like that. It can be done and it's not impossible without the flywheel TDC mark, but it's not the correct procedure to do so.

I'd double check and make damn sure your flywheel does or doesn't have the marks. They are not painted, they are sort of etched in.
                              So what I've gathered from this read is that since I didn't unbolt my distributor and just did a clutch job then everything should be kosher? My timing shouldnt be off?

Comment

Working...
                              X