Who has cut a fuel pump access panel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has cut a fuel pump access panel?

I need to change my fuel pump. I have a pump. I just don't have the desire to drop my tank (which will undoubtedly require new mounting hardware, and possibly the drilling out of snapped rusted bolts...)

I've always been against cutting a hole, but now I'm considering it. I've read through the various threads on it, including close2classic's very helpful DIY.
    I'm a little nervous about using anything that might throw sparks at my half-full tank! I may just use tin snips and some files to clean up the hole...

Anyway, I was hoping someone had additional feedback. I know a number of people have done it this way. Has anyone fabbed up a proper cover for the hole? Do you notice any gas fumes in the cabin? (I'd assume not, as long as the pump and lines were all installed properly and in good working order...)

Has anyone come up with any tricks to make the job easier that haven't been covered in that DIY?

Only advice I can give is to completely drain the tank.

On my 93, there was a drain bolt on the bottom.

I would just drain it for peace of mind. I have seen what happens when someone works on the fuel system and it goes badly.

If it is older gas or not "fresh" you could use it for lawn maintenance etc and then when its time fill it with new gas.

Comment

I did it on a 1995 Camaro, since there wasn't a leak I cut an access panel in the rear floor with my 4.5in grinder. Of course I cut carefully to avoid slicing into a fuel line, that would've ruined my day for sure.

Of course there were DIYs on the internet on how to do this so it was easy to mark out the spot to cut. You might have to wing it.

Also, I wouldn't do this to a car I intend to keep. If my 63 year old father can change a gas tank on his crusty 300k mile 95 Accord wagon, I think you can handle it as well.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
        Only advice I can give is to completely drain the tank.

On my 93, there was a drain bolt on the bottom.

I would just drain it for peace of mind. I have seen what happens when someone works on the fuel system and it goes badly.

If it is older gas or not "fresh" you could use it for lawn maintenance etc and then when its time fill it with new gas.
        remember it is gas vapor that ignites. so if you do drain the tank you would have to let it evaporate over night or you would have a tank of gas vapor.
        CB7TUNER.com
        Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

That is true. I just don't want to drop my tank, find out I need all new hardware, and decide I then need to shell out $250 for replacement parts!

If I cut, I would immediately paint the cut area to prevent rust.

Comment

I've done the access cut before, it was on a junk CB though. The previous owner said that there was a new fuel pump and new misc honda lines under there so I wanted the quickest way in. My first impression once the hole was cut was how close the brake lines are, be extremely careful and keep the cut very shallow, you have no clue what you're cutting until the first piece is out! I like what close2classic did with the foam. I've done the same before with fiberglass insulation (yes, found in an exterior wall of a home) but I soaked it all in oil. The oil will displace moisture and prevent rust and corrosion, just think of that nasty oily motor with virgin aluminum or cast iron underneath, it stays preserved. In fact, even the cut you do on the shell, I'd just keep it oiled myself, the paint on that very thin edge isn't long for the world. I'm a huge fan of oiling (fluid film is great stuff) VS cladding things with undercoat or paint. Obviously not the exterior of the car but everything under the car, absolutely.

Comment

On the topic of letting the tank dry after removing fluid. No.

Flash rust.

It will be even more money to fix. I'd say just start the cut with a cutting tool and use the fender snips for the rest of it. No risk of blowing your face off; no risk of ruining the nice shiny metal in the tank.

I wish ours were like the 6th generation accords. Literally like 6 baby bolts and two lines. Takes like 10 minutes.

Comment

I was unable to sleep 2 nights ago, and I was trying to dream up some way of creating a cover for the hole. The best (and easiest) idea I could come up with was to paint the cut edges carefully. Let them dry fully. Then secure some sort of thick rubber molding around the entire cut edge of both the hole and the part that I removed. Then find some way to clamp the removed piece back down over the hole. The rubber molding would act as a gasket.

Comment

Haha, I came up with that exact same idea. How to clamp it down without going all out and welding on anchor bolts, though? Zip-ties? Maybe JB Weld would be a strong enough hold for anchor bolts? Follow that up by, instead of re-using the piece you cut out, getting a larger sheet of metal to fit over both the hole and the area of the bolts.

I just never got around to covering mine before I got rid of the chassis. Drove around with a hole in my trunk for quite a while and never smelled anything. It's definitely a project to do for my next CB though; drop the tank and figure out a proper service hatch since I plan on keeping it.

For the hole itself I used a dremel with a cutting wheel, so I didn't so much have to worry about cutting too deep.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I thought about using new metal, but it would be silly to try to mold new metal to the old area, when I already have a perfectly good piece in the exact shape I needed! I considered using that piece to make a mold, and creating a fiberglass hatch... but that seems like a lot of work, and I'd likely spend as much time and money learning how to effectively fiberglass as I would simply dropping the tank and doing it right!

One solution for securing the hatch would be a hinge on one end (back end, possibly), and a latch on the other. Simple, if I could secure it properly, and keep the hatch tight.

Comment

Just make up some tabs to bridge between the cut out piece and the car and use pop rivets with maybe a gasket around the edge of the hole.

Comment

I actually agree with your first idea, putting a rubber around the edge where your cut is perfect and with the piece that you cut off you can use this type of draw latch that can be easily screwed on with small self tapping screws, both ends would be secured tightly and then you wont have to worry about the smell

CLICK ON SIG FOR MEMBERS RIDE
                        "2SIIC"
                        Authentic Jerseys for sale
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188314

Comment

i thought I saw on here some one who used the axes panel of a civic as a new cover for the hole.

In Need of an engine, just a basic f22a...pm me if you have one willing to part with.

Comment

I've seen someone suggest it, but I don't know if anyone went through with it. The metal that needs to be cut isn't flat, so it's unlikely that a Civic panel would work.

Comment

I use tin snips to cut the hole out then hammer the piece of sheet metal kinda flat to stick it back over the hole. Seal it up with a couple dots of windshield urethane on opposite sides of the access panel. With replacing the gasket/o-ring thing while replacing the fuel pump I've never smelt fuel in any of the CB's I've cut access holes in.

Comment

Working...
                              X