No announcement yet.

Harmonic balancer replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One last question. Does the new harmonic balancer have to be lined up with any timing marks at all? Does anyone have experience with Dorman harmonic balancers?

Comment

the harmonic balancer can only go on one way because of the key, so the short answer is no.
      but a good impact(my friend is a mechanic and has a 850ft lb) and his worked fine to do mine.

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
        Exactly
        Sounds like when i had to get my axle nut off at a Peterbuilt dealership, because my 1/2in impact failed to get the job done. lol
        F22B1 Swap. #StanceNation

91' Accord Project

Paint is custom faded. (Love the Frankenstein look!)

Comment

I feel like I have stated this before, but I will state it again. DO NOT use an impact on the crank pulley bolt. Your bearings will thank you.

Use the Honda Crank Pulley tool. You can rent it for $45 bucks at Pep Boys.

You will need two jack stands as well as two breaker bars and a cheater pipe.

Jack the car up and remove the Drivers side tire. Place the car on a jack stand.

Remove the Powersteering and Alternator belts.

Place the other jack stand in front of the pulley. You will be using it for leverage.

Attach one breaker bar to the tool and make sure to wedge it to the ground.

Now take the other breaker bar with an extension on it and place the breaker bar side of the extension on the jack stand.

Slide the cheater pipe over the breaker bar and loosen the bolt.

Once you replace the pulley and key way, dip the crank bolt in oil and insert into the crank end.

Do the reverse and tighten to specs.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
          JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
            I feel like I have stated this before, but I will state it again. DO NOT use an impact on the crank pulley bolt. Your bearings will thank you.

Use the Honda Crank Pulley tool. You can rent it for $45 bucks at Pep Boys.

You will need two jack stands as well as two breaker bars and a cheater pipe.

Jack the car up and remove the Drivers side tire. Place the car on a jack stand.

Remove the Powersteering and Alternator belts.

Place the other jack stand in front of the pulley. You will be using it for leverage.

Attach one breaker bar to the tool and make sure to wedge it to the ground.

Now take the other breaker bar with an extension on it and place the breaker bar side of the extension on the jack stand.

Slide the cheater pipe over the breaker bar and loosen the bolt.

Once you replace the pulley and key way, dip the crank bolt in oil and insert into the crank end.

Do the reverse and tighten to specs.
            Exactly how I wound up doing mine (after the impact wrench failed).

Comment

All is well now everyone thank you for all of your help. I changed the harmonic balancer fairly easy the bolt wasn't as bad as people said it was lol but it was loud when it finally gave way.

I changed my drivers side axle too wow..first time axle change I must say it was almost as easy as changing the master cylinder? Pry it out then pop it in. Lol can't get any easier then that. BTW I used a remanufactured A1 Cardone axle from Pepboys and a Dorman harmonic balancer. Anyone have any experience with these parts?

In all honesty the harmonic balancer took me 45 minutes that's with me taking my time same with the axle 25-30 minutes along with torqueing everything down to spec. For the first time on both I'd say that's pretty good + I used all hand tools.

Comment

Good! Now that you built up more confidence, you can tackle an engine swap next!

You are pretty lucky, I broke two harbor freight breaker bars when I first replaced my axles. Your parts should last quite a while...well the pulley should, not sure about the axles. Did you replace the transmission seals while you were down there?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

NOPE DAM IT I KNEW THEIR WERE SEALS! I asked the guy at Pepboys and he was like oh I see no such thing we sell for transmission seals where the axle connects and he was like oh no such thing. What kind of twits do they have working there?

Yeah lol have you had any experience with the remanufactured axles? What axles are you running? No problems with it so far.

Seriously were they half inch breaker bars from HF? That's crazy though you broke two. Mine flexed a bit but didn't break. Because I had a huge cheater bar it wasn't hard at all but you shoulda heard that bolt snap loose on the harmonic balancer one of my outside cats were standing near the car and ran a good clear distance when she heard it snap and didn't come back for a while LOL.

Are you running a Dorman harmonic balancer? And when you say a while do you mean months or years the parts are gonna last?:P lol
                  Last edited by Kev1990; 07-03-2015, 12:48 PM.

Comment

And it's one on the other side too. It's 14 in this pic I think H3LLRA1S1N has it his clutch replacement DIY if you want to check it out.

I have had advanced auto remans on my car for about 3-4 years so far. They haven't broken yet and I drive pretty "spiritedly."

Yeah the biggest ones. It sheared the part that actually goes on to the socket. When my friend and I took it back, the cashier was like "What the hell are y'all doing??" Haha

I grabbed the NAPA brand, it was a good chunk of change so I'm hoping it last for a looooong time. So with that said, they'll last years with normal driving. If you're dumping the clutch at every red light or stop sign then...well you know how that goes.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Napa harmonic balancer? So if you fly off from every stop it'll effect the harmonic balancer?

Are they carquest axles from advance auto? I've heard good things about them. BTW my 90 is a auto lol

Trust me I drive spiritedly too lol the car just turned over to 220k after the work was done.

Something that hasn't happened in the past 1-2 years of me owning my 90 CB7 for about 4 years every time I drive spiritedly now even at 220k it throws me back into the seat now especially with the new motor mounts and the recent work I've done LOL its like my 93 F22A6 I haven't had it throw me back into the seat no matter how hard I tried in a few years now. But really if I want this car to last I need to let up on it and drive easier. Next thing to fix well actually maintence is doing the drain and fill x3 although its been done every 10-15K since I owned the car.
                      Last edited by Kev1990; 07-04-2015, 12:38 AM.

Comment

new tool for harmonic balancer bolt removal

used twice, works nice

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                          Napa harmonic balancer? So if you fly off from every stop it'll effect the harmonic balancer?

Are they carquest axles from advance auto? I've heard good things about them. BTW my 90 is a auto lol

Trust me I drive spiritedly too lol the car just turned over to 220k after the work was done.

Something that hasn't happened in the past 1-2 years of me owning my 90 CB7 for about 4 years every time I drive spiritedly now even at 220k it throws me back into the seat now especially with the new motor mounts and the recent work I've done LOL its like my 93 F22A6 I haven't had it throw me back into the seat no matter how hard I tried in a few years now. But really if I want this car to last I need to let up on it and drive easier. Next thing to fix well actually maintence is doing the drain and fill x3 although its been done every 10-15K since I owned the car.
                          No, I was talking about the axles. The only thing I would think that could damage the balancer is excessive belt tension and/or a bad p/s or a/c pulley.

Ahhh, well no clutch dumps for you I sometimes want to go on craigslist and ask to drive people's CBs just to see what a stock one feels like again.

How does that tool work? It just looks like an overgrown socket from here.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
                          X