How do my Cylinder Walls look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do my Cylinder Walls look?

I just pulled my head off the H22. I took a few pictures of my cylinder walls this morning. I wasn't sure if they are in good condition or if they need bored from looking at them. Either way I was going to have them checked out but I was curious because I don't know what looks good and bad in a situation like this.

For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Holy carbon batman. Those actually don't look bad to me can you catch your nail in the scratch there?
    “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
    ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

Originally posted by Mishakol129 View Post
      Holy carbon batman. Those actually don't look bad to me can you catch your nail in the scratch there?
      I'll have to check that, I just got done taking the pistons out.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Wow. Whoever had the engine before must have run rich all the time. If you are going to re-use the pistons, make sure you clean out the ring grooves. I'm sure they will take a lot of scrapping to get all the carbon out.

Comment

find a shop that can handle FRM and get a hone and new rings dude.
          you could get an acceptable finish from a dingleberry hone if you want to DIY, it wont take much effort besides having the block stripped and being able to clean it properly after the operation and having the right grit brush.
          its weird how white the walls are, but that scratch and the scuffs from the piston will need addressed, also that carbon ridge will need taken care of.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
            find a shop that can handle FRM and get a hone and new rings dude.
            you could get an acceptable finish from a dingleberry hone if you want to DIY, it wont take much effort besides having the block stripped and being able to clean it properly after the operation and having the right grit brush.
            its weird how white the walls are, but that scratch and the scuffs from the piston will need addressed, also that carbon ridge will need taken care of.
            My plan is to take the head and block for a cleaning, if it needs to be shaved or honed I was going to have them check both and do it if needed. Now how do I clean the piston with all that carbon build up?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by BreckAConner View Post
              My plan is to take the head and block for a cleaning, if it needs to be shaved or honed I was going to have them check both and do it if needed. Now how do I clean the piston with all that carbon build up?
              the honing operation will remove the carbon ring, the pistons can be soaked in a can of acetone to free the rings and help get the shit out and also facilitate cleaning the oil control holes on the pistons. when i broke my h22a down i did this, but the cylinders didnt need honed so everything was cleaned with solvents and detergent and hot water and clean water rinse, then reassembled

its weird how the smoot turned the solvent red

not a good pic but this is how your cylinder walls should look, and you should be seeing the cross hatching in them, however to the touch the walls should feel smooth as glass.

Last edited by illinois_erik; 05-02-2015, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                the honing operation will remove the carbon ring, the pistons can be soaked in a can of acetone to free the rings and help get the shit out and also facilitate cleaning the oil control holes on the pistons. when i broke my h22a down i did this, but the cylinders didnt need honed so everything was cleaned with solvents and detergent and hot water and clean water rinse, then reassembled

not a good pic but this is how your cylinder walls should look, and you should be seeing the cross hatching in them, however to the touch the walls should feel smooth as glass.
                Okay, I can clean the pistons no problem, as for breaking them down I have no clue how to do that.
                Last edited by BreckAConner; 05-02-2015, 03:00 PM.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

More pictures of components and walls, would love opinions on the conditions they are in.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Okay, I can clean the pistons no problem,
                    Soaking the pistons in acetone or other cleaner will help, but with your carbon buildup it won't begin to get the carbon out of the ring grooves. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

They make tools to clean ring grooves, but I just took an old ring, broke it in half, securely wrapped the broken end, and used the unbroken end to scrape the carbon out of the grooves. It took me a half hour on each piston. You also need to punch the carbon out of the little holes with a very small metal tip.

The only way I know to check bearings is to make sure they are smooth and to check clearance. Or just replace the bearings, especially the rod bearings (crankshaft bearings tend to hold up better). Not that expensive - but make sure that you match the color coding on the bearings when you order the new ones - they aren't the same size on every cylinder.

Comment

Originally posted by wagon-r View Post
                      Soaking the pistons in acetone or other cleaner will help, but with your carbon buildup it won't begin to get the carbon out of the ring grooves. Trust me, I know from personal experience.

They make tools to clean ring grooves, but I just took an old ring, broke it in half, securely wrapped the broken end, and used the unbroken end to scrape the carbon out of the grooves. It took me a half hour on each piston. You also need to punch the carbon out of the little holes with a very small metal tip.

The only way I know to check bearings is to make sure they are smooth and to check clearance. Or just replace the bearings, especially the rod bearings (crankshaft bearings tend to hold up better). Not that expensive - but make sure that you match the color coding on the bearings when you order the new ones - they aren't the same size on every cylinder.
                      I planned on replacing rings and bearings or whatever else that needs replaced.

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Ok so what I'm looking at is a decently high mileage motor. So the white cyclinder walls is actually your glazed coating from said mileage. They look like they are in good condition still. What needs to be done at this point is 3 things one needs a machine shop that deals with frm meterial aka what your cyclinder walls are made of. They need a special stone to be honed. 2 that crank needs a micropolish.3. Everything needs to be cleaned even the block. By looking at your Pistons and the sludge that's on them I'm sure there is sludge in all of the oil passages. So to insure proper oil flow and pressure I would definitely look into a block bath. I would go ahead and do the hole thing head and block. Other wize it's a damn good base for a rebuild or even a performance build.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                          Ok so what I'm looking at is a decently high mileage motor. So the white cyclinder walls is actually your glazed coating from said mileage. They look like they are in good condition still. What needs to be done at this point is 3 things one needs a machine shop that deals with frm meterial aka what your cyclinder walls are made of. They need a special stone to be honed. 2 that crank needs a micropolish.3. Everything needs to be cleaned even the block. By looking at your Pistons and the sludge that's on them I'm sure there is sludge in all of the oil passages. So to insure proper oil flow and pressure I would definitely look into a block bath. I would go ahead and do the hole thing head and block. Other wize it's a damn good base for a rebuild or even a performance build.
                          What should I ask them when I go to get it honed?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

What should I ask them when I go to get it honed?
                            All you need to ask is if they can hone a block that has frm meterial sleevs. If they say what's that then just leave.

my new turbo build

Comment

Originally posted by 92smokeaccord View Post
                              All you need to ask is if they can hone a block that has frm meterial sleevs. If they say what's that then just leave.
                              Okay, now do they make oversized piston rings?

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X