Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange steering rack/power steering pump issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is a bit old as well, but what rack did you go with and how has it been? I'm finally in the market to replace the rack in my 90 (350,000 miles) and I want to be able to swap it quickly (not take it out and wait for me to rebuild it). I still have the damaged rack from my wagon that I'll use as the core, then take my time to rebuild the one I pull out.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      I know this is a bit old as well, but what rack did you go with and how has it been? I'm finally in the market to replace the rack in my 90 (350,000 miles) and I want to be able to swap it quickly (not take it out and wait for me to rebuild it). I still have the damaged rack from my wagon that I'll use as the core, then take my time to rebuild the one I pull out.
      Ah, this rack. I just responded to your question via PM. Anyhow, after straining my memory a bit, I never replaced this one. I just let it get warmer before attempting to drive it. But it still did it up until I sold it.

Comment

Just PM'd you back. Bought a remanufactured unit from Honda; not too much more than aftermarket with my local dealer's discount and included the boots and inner tie rod ends (which the image on Majestic's site doesn't indicate).
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Wow, I'd say that you went the best route then.

Comment

If its any help to anyone, my NAPA rack that I installed in Jan 2010 is still leak and trouble free. I've probably put on 50-60k miles since then on it.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Honestly if you heard a clunk and whatnot I would check to make sure nothings loose. Just recently a customers car I had fixed she had a few bolts loose on the rack itself which hold it up in place while the other two bolts were still holding it up. If either side breaks it will start to tear off the other bolts too which can be scarey on the road. But i fixed that up though.

Comment

Working...
              X