Fuel Pump replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump replacement

So my son graduated from navy boot camp in great lakes this weekend.
    I thought about renting a car but I have replaced just about everything in my accord and I have sirius radio which was going to cost me $7 a day. WTF.
    Any how. 12 hour drive up and 12 hour drive back.
    Now off and on I have had this random hit. I will call it that. It is a quick cutout like no fuel, no spark or slipping clutch. It only lasts less than a half second and will sometimes repeat for a couple minutes then go away. I also have had trouble starting the car after it sits for say more than 4 days without being started. Someone said the fuel pump has a check valve that may be going.
    Nothing happened on the way up no problems at all.
    ON the way back in the mountains around nashville it starts. and keeps happening not constant but enough that i'm getting a little worried I may not make it home.
    I had pretty much narrowed it down to the clutch. As it seemed to happen at the start of an incline or when passing.
    Now the kicker. I had about 1/4 tank left. So I stopped filled up and the random miss is now gone.
    So my thought is a failing fuel pump. I think it was hot when I filled up it cooled the pump back down and now works. So I am going to replace it.

My engine is H22 OBD2, rdx injectors, stock obd2 FPR, Hondata s300 p72 ecu

Should I stick with the denso or go with a 255 walbro.

I ask because the walbro is cheaper by about $40.

thanks

steve

The current pump is the original pump from 1991
    link to my member ride for any more info I may have left out.
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...light=stoner51
    Last edited by Stoner51; 02-01-2015, 10:33 AM.

If its a spark cut if can be the distributor or ignitor which is a possibility. My bes advice to you would be to check for spark and fuel if its fuel get a fuel guage and test for pressure when the car is primed before you turn it on and then when its turned on. If its not at the right pressure on both then you know its the fuel pump or filter clogging stuff up. As for the spark it can be a simple ignitor or coil issue.

Comment

Could be a clogged pump filter from tank oxidation, same thing happened to me. Also change your inline filter , see if that helps.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

I am not sure I can test for a random cut out. Yes I have spark. Yes I have fuel. The car runs fine. Just cuts random. I don't know exactly how to recreate it.

but since you mention spark. it is a sudden cut. I have ran out of gas on 4 wheelers before and its more gradual this is sudden.

I may look at the wiring for my CPR kit.

thanks

steve

Comment

So. I went back and checked my wiring for the CPR. I had used a plug off an old distributor I had to connect the speedo and the tach to the stock wiring harness. The connector has broken off the harness side. So I ziptied the connector together and so far I haven't had any hesitation.

Thanks for pointing out the spark. I was looking mainly at the fuel delivery because that is the only thing I can think of that I haven't replaced is the fuel pump.

But. Of the two which would everybody choose. I do have bigger injectors and running a higher psi than the stock f22.

And would you wait for it to fail, or replace it before it dies.

It is 24 years old And I feel like I using borrowed time.

steve

Comment

How much higher pressure? My 90 still had the original fuel pump at over 300,000 miles. I put a lower mileage tank with pump in because the tank was leaking. The pump is a simple centrifugal vane pump, not much to go wrong with it except the motor. If your tank, lines, and filler neck are in good condition, I'd say wait on it. If any of the parts are starting to look bad, start gathering what you need and wait for a good opportunity to change it out. If your strap bolts, particularly the rear ones, are very rusty, I would procure new strap brackets and bolts for the rear. I had the nut in the bracket detach from the bracket so the bolt and nut spun; had to drop the rear cross member to replace the brackets.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I would guestimate my mileage at around 500,000. I have had more than one cluster and lost count.

So I repeated this Problem today. Less than a half tank of gas and accelerating up a incline getting on the interstate.
              It could be possible the pump is clogged and not getting fuel on an incline. Since it happened mostly on the trip on the mountains.

I'll probably just go with the denso. It's lasted 24 years. If I get 10 more out of the new one I should be good. And well into my 50s by then

Steve

Comment

I thought fuel system right away as well. Since its happening when the vehicle is under a load ( up hill, passing cars) it leads me to believe the engine is looking for more fuel then can be delivered. Now this could be multiple sources causing your issue. Obviously the cheapest which I imagine u did when u swapped the H in was a fuel filter. If u haven't do so. Second a bad diaphragm in your fpr. If it's not reading vacuum right may be constantly dumping fuel like your at idle. This can be tested . If your curious about your fuel line u can use compressed air to blow it out ( both ends disconnected)
                And for a fuel pump, I would imagine running a 255 is jus fine. The fpr is gonna dump the fuel it doesn't need anyways.

I had a similar issue with the fuel system. Mine was a loose hose inside the tank.
                I think that check valve thing is kinda bogus. After four days if u start your car like any normal day ( turn key and let pump prime until it stops then start u should have no issues.

I don't advocate throwing money at problems but if it's a $100 part that is a upgrade anyways, f it.
                Good luck

Comment

I have been thinking about replacing the pump for about a year. Just because It hasn't been done.

But I don't want to replace a fuel pump only to have the same problem continue.

Currently today I have about a 1/4 of gas and today have had no problems. Go figure.

I will look into Fuel pressure testing.
                  Will that determine a bad regulator vs a weak fuel pump?

steve

And yes fuel filter is about 6 months old maybe. That was my first thing to do.

Comment

If you pinch the return line from the pressure regulator (this dead heads the pump), pressure should rise to about 60 psi.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I'll update this thread a little with my progress

I replaced the fuel filter. Same problem
                      I had a spare distributor same problem
                      this weekend I replaced the plugs. So far this seems to have fixed the problem. The gap in the old plugs was ovee 50. Stoak is 44

I thought fuel because it was the only thing I haven't replaced. But the cut out seemed sudden like a spark cut.
                      Hopefully this will fix it.

I had a spare distributor and the fuel filter was a normal maintenance anyway.

Amy for those of you wondering why the gap on my plugs is so Big. I have individual coils not one coil in the distributor like stock. Reading if you open the gap it supposedly increases your mpg. But apparently I opened it up too much.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X