Antenna Stopped Working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antenna Stopped Working

Hello recently on my 90 the antenna stopped going up. It will go up very little when turned on and try to continue to go up you can hear it clunking til it's fully open but it doesn't fully open and it won't close on it's own. Basically I need to find out if I can permanently set it open, how to change it or what I should do for a new one.

what has happened is your motor is still good but.... the rod is connected via a toothed plastic line that the motor moves up and down... over years and rain water and such probably help it gets brittle and sometimes breaks... you can do two options ... If your like me and rarely to never use the radio take it out and block off the hole... or you can get replacement Mass from ebay and repair it using that and electrical grease.... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.T RC0.H0.X90%2F93+honda+accord+power+antenna&_nkw=90 %2F93+honda+accord+power+antenna&_sacat=0

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Wait, are you trying to say you had a CB7 with a WORKING power antenna?

I've never heard of such a thing

Comment

Lol yes! Mine worked for the past 3 years or so all the other cb7's antenna's work too. Thanks Schier is there any DIY on replacing the antenna? If I can just get it to get stuck in the up position for a while because as cold as it is outside right now do I really wanna change it? NO lol. I do use the radio a bit mostly aux though.
        Last edited by Kev1990; 01-16-2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Turn the radio on and manually pull the antenna up if it doesn't go up all the way "help it along" , then remove the interior panel inside the trunk and unplug the power wires to the electric motor. this won't unplug the antenna itself just the motor so it will stay in the up position.

Comment

Well I can pull it up all the way but there's no resistance and it slides right back down lol. So assuming the motor or what-ever stopped partway up.

Comment

Our proceedure is basically the same as in this video

Also check out

INT: power antenna cleaning
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=166674

Comment

Originally posted by Flip-Eye View Post

Me either lol I've had 4 cb7's and none have worked lol
                1991 cb7 daily driver and huge project

http://s1117.photobucket.com/user/pu...tml?sort=3&o=1

Comment

I'm afraid to say anything as I don't want to jinx myself, but my antenna is also working and is original to the car.

Originally posted by Flip-Eye View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                    Well I can pull it up all the way but there's no resistance and it slides right back down lol. So assuming the motor or what-ever stopped partway up.
                    All the antennas in mine work.

If it drops back down, it means the plastic drive belt inside has broken. Repair will require that the antenna be removed and opened up to remove the broken pieces of the drive belt. While you're in there, it should be cleaned and relubricated. There is a pin that holds the belt against the drive gear; this wears so that it doesn't hold the belt well - it can be rotated to hold the belt against the gear again. There used to be a DIY on how to rebuild them. If you buy a mast, get it from Bridgewood Motorsports (Antenna Masts R Us on e bay). For a price, send it to me and I'll rebuild it.
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I got a mast for 17.99 shipped from this place. Installed it on my new DD and it works great! goes down all the way and i've got good radio reception now.

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Honda...01990-1993.htm

member's ride thread
                      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                      91 Accord SE 176k
                      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                        I got a mast for 17.99 shipped from this place. Installed it on my new DD and it works great! goes down all the way and i've got good radio reception now.

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/Honda...01990-1993.htm
                        Same place I mentioned. You got a new fender nut and grommet, correct? Did you have to take your motor apart to get any of the old one out? I did some searching; looks like an opportunity for a DIY - I didn't see one that deals with completely rebuilding one.
                        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
                          Same place I mentioned. You got a new fender nut and grommet, correct? Did you have to take your motor apart to get any of the old one out? I did some searching; looks like an opportunity for a DIY - I didn't see one that deals with completely rebuilding one.
                          no, my old one for some reason wasn't as smooth when telescoping which caused the motor to overpower the teeth and skip a lot, not fully retracting the antenna or fully extending it. My old antenna still had all the plastic teeth still.

It didn't come with a nut. I had to reuse mine.

Its not the greatest design, mainly my gripe is it doesn't have an angled end piece to make it easier to feed at first, so it take a couple tries to get it to accept the new mast's plastic teeth. Lubricating the internals with white lithium grease also helps with it going into the coiled housing.

but for under 20 bucks i now have a fully operational antenna mast. I remember buying one from the dealer 8 yrs ago for 75 bucks.

member's ride thread
                          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                          91 Accord SE 176k
                          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                          X