Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question about timing belt

Honda accord 1990 DX

I am reaching the 60 000 miles mark. I want to replace the timing belt. Should I replace the timing belt or should I buy the whole kit? It consists of two belts , the saleman said.

I also want to replace the Valve cover gasket. Show I buy these things from honda dealer ? or aftermarket is ok?

Any advice?

PS: Just complete a trip from Quebec to Miami, with average of 33 mpg. At one instance I reached 35 mpg. I am so proud of this little gem of a car!

Gates

id do the kit, and a front balance seal retainer if it hasnt already been done

Comment

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
      Honda accord 1990 DX

I am reaching the 60 000 miles mark. I want to replace the timing belt. Should I replace the timing belt or should I buy the whole kit? It consists of two belts , the saleman said.

I also want to replace the Valve cover gasket. Show I buy these things from honda dealer ? or aftermarket is ok?

Any advice?

PS: Just complete a trip from Quebec to Miami, with average of 33 mpg. At one instance I reached 35 mpg. I am so proud of this little gem of a car!
      You know the normal replacement interval for the timing belt is 90,000 miles? If you want to replace it early, it won't hurt anything. You'll want both belts, a water pump, valve cover gasket including upper seals, if you have oil in your spark plug holes it would be a good time to replace the lower seals as well. Also a good opportunity to replace the crank, balance shaft, and maybe cam seals while you are in the there. You might also consider new alternator and power steering belts while you have everything apart.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thanks guys for the input. But Should I get the parts from advanced autoparts or honda dealer? The difference is huge regarding price.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          You know the normal replacement interval for the timing belt is 90,000 miles? If you want to replace it early, it won't hurt anything. You'll want both belts, a water pump, valve cover gasket including upper seals, if you have oil in your spark plug holes it would be a good time to replace the lower seals as well. Also a good opportunity to replace the crank, balance shaft, and maybe cam seals while you are in the there. You might also consider new alternator and power steering belts while you have everything apart.
          You forgot the tensioners as well.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Sorry to repeat myself. could someone make a list: 1,2,3,4... of all the parts I should buy?

Dealer or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance.
            Last edited by greenquark; 10-19-2014, 02:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greenquark View Post
              Sorry to repeat myself. could someone make a list: 1,2,3,4... of all the parts I should buy?

Dealer or aftermarket?

Thanks in advance.
              yes, greenquark should make a list after looking the stuff up. got money? dealer. like to save money? gates..and wudda know theres a kit, part numbers provided in the graphic i provided for you. youre welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                You forgot the tensioners as well.
                Good catch. I guess I've cheated and not necessarily replaced these with every belt change. No problems so far.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Thnsk for the input. i will order this list :

and I am good to go right?

Cheers,

Comment

Thnsk for the input. i will order this list :

and I am good to go right?

And where do I buy those parst with those numbers. For examplo Advanced autoparts doesn't have a few of them. That is my question about a detailed list of all pieeces a should order or wheere ( either autozone or advance autopart

Cheers,
                    Last edited by greenquark; 10-21-2014, 12:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                      yes, greenquark should make a list after looking the stuff up. got money? dealer. like to save money? gates..and wudda know theres a kit, part numbers provided in the graphic i provided for you. youre welcome.
                      Hi there,

I finally got all parts you wrote down there.

I got the Dayco kit ( timing belt, tensioners crankshaft belt, water pump) etc, all the seals and the valve cover gasket.

Now looking at the package, I notice the timing belt is made in USA, the other belt is made in Italy, the tensioners in Korea and the water pump in China.

Should I be worried about this pump made in China ?

Or should I return the whole thing ?

In any case, How many hours would this job be for a mechanic ? So I don't get rip off .

Thanks in advance

Comment

I'm wondering why you would want to replace the valve cover. If it;s leaking, you can just change the seals.

I can't put too much input in this since I have an H but I did change the timing belt and water pump since I had it removed. I also changed the tensioner to manual which isnt required if you have an F series.

Follow me on IG: @jdm_inspired

93 'til infinity

Comment

Originally posted by jdm_inspired View Post
                          I'm wondering why you would want to replace the valve cover. If it;s leaking, you can just change the seals.

I can't put too much input in this since I have an H but I did change the timing belt and water pump since I had it removed. I also changed the tensioner to manual which isnt required if you have an F series.
                          I replaced the valve cover gasket this year but it is leaking where the engine block meets the distributor. So I bought it just in case.

I am bit worried about the origin of parts...

Comment

You need to get the Gates belt kit: GATES Part # TCKWP186
                            $83 bucks on Amazon.
                            I have changed about 10 cars/trucks with the Gates kit.
                            Honda uses Gates belts.
                            MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

I just got Daycon stuff. Let see if I can change them

Comment

Working...
                              X