Steering Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Problems

Hello I have a 1990 HONDA ACCORD LX 208K miles. My problem originally started when it was raining outside when-ever I turn the steering wheel to the left after turning it to the right it makes a single pop it does not pop at all when going over bumps or going straight just when the wheel is turnt left now it does it all the time I could be sitting still in park or drive or moving and it happens even when I turn the steering wheel when the car is off the steering wheel doesn't have much play at all if any but I was thinking it could be the tie rods inner and outer at-least that's what I've narrowed it down to so far but I forgot about this picture that was taken a couple months ago while I was under the car should there be a boot on this? Is this the axle or tie rod? I really can't remember because like I said it was months ago and if this could be the source of my problem due to the missing boot then I will replace that first I will be taking it to get it inspected sometime this week but may be doing the work myself depending on what it is. Thank you in advanced to anyone who helps. Lol I think I answered my own question it looks like there is no boot that belongs there from stock diagram here's the link if you'd like to look for yourself.

http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...lid=SM43B2100F

http://s392.photobucket.com/user/kev..._0011.jpg.html

BTW IT'S THE DRIVERS SIDE IT WAS TAKEN ON. I have since fixed the leak over the oil filter too lol

Last edited by Kev1990; 10-13-2014, 09:41 AM.

22 functional brains have looked at this and have came up with no possible answer?! LOL. I'm just looking to possibly see what others think it may be to specifically narrow it down to the best possibility.

Comment

Do you not have a FSM (Factory Service Manual) handy? Regarding the image you posted, that's the intermediate shaft. No boot is required.

This is the steering rack.

Last edited by Tishock; 10-13-2014, 03:50 PM.

Comment

In general when dealing with a pop, I would check my bushings and ball joints first. Something as simple as sway bar end link bushings can cause a pop when turning under load. Maybe have some one turn the steering wheel while you try to pin point the location of the pop.

Comment

I actually did that and pinpointed it to the inner tie rod popping I mean even the inner tie rod is some type of ball joint isn't it?

Comment

Does it sound like this video?

Comment

Hmm I actually saw that video already. But I have yet to get the time to fully check the problem out with the wheel off so sometime this week i'll get around to it if my local mechanic doesn't get his hands on it first to diagnose.

Comment

UPDATE : I brught my car to the mechanic today he said my front end is really tight LOL especially for as old as it is no play in anything at all that he can find. He mentioned something about a possible binding axle. But here's the thing this morning when I took my car in for the repair the steering wheel was popping real loud/bad but when it started pouring down rain it dampens the pop a lot to the point where you can barely hear it/feel it in the wheel doesn't make sense so please post what yall might think would a binding axle cause a pop like this? BTW when it does pop you can feel it in the floor of the car.

Comment

I have exactly the same symptom coming from the front of my car when weight transfers front to back and vice versa, on the driver's side.

Axle might be the cause for the pop. When the ground is slick from rain, perhaps the pop is attenuated because the wheel is subject to less friction than when on dry pavement, thus putting less strain on the axle.

Tie rods and lower balljoints also crossed my mind.

I'm replacing all these parts in stages, so i'll let you know which part fixes the issue if you don't find out before me.

Comment

K thanks man is your outer tie rod gummy too on the drivers side? Because mine is but yet the right one is rock hard. Please let me know as soon as you find out also I noticed when I hit the gas hard from take off my left wheel spins I have a automatic shouldn't the right wheel be the one spinning? LOL if that doesn't sound right the left one is spinning then maybe it is a axle related problem. BTW isn't a outer tie rod a ball joint basically? Couldn't that pop?

Comment

Also I understand what your saying by less friction but listen to this. Months ago when it first started it would only pop when raining and get worse/louder in the rain now the rain is quieting it down a bit its just some weird shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                        K thanks man is your outer tie rod gummy too on the drivers side? Because mine is but yet the right one is rock hard. Please let me know as soon as you find out also I noticed when I hit the gas hard from take off my left wheel spins I have a automatic shouldn't the right wheel be the one spinning? LOL if that doesn't sound right the left one is spinning then maybe it is a axle related problem. BTW isn't a outer tie rod a ball joint basically? Couldn't that pop?
                        I haven't checked them in a while, so i couldn't say. The last time i had my car up on a rack, they told me i definitely needed new lower ball joints, tie rods and driver side cv boot. It could be any of those things or a combination. I think my front sway bar endlinks are just about shot too.

I have the es poly bushing master kit which i plan on installing piece by piece starting soon. I'll let you know how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                          Also I understand what your saying by less friction but listen to this. Months ago when it first started it would only pop when raining and get worse/louder in the rain now the rain is quieting it down a bit its just some weird shit.
                          That.....is some weird shit.

My only advice would be to take the wheel off and check EVERYTHING. Then replace any parts that look less than stellar.

Comment

Yeah I had my mechanic check out everything earlier today like I said he said everything is really tight and clean looking including the any/all boots idk what to think lol it was nice driving home from the shop with no fucking pop in the wheel though ahaha.... Ima see if it returns in the next few days.

Comment

Mine was a loose upper control arm bolt. It felt tight when I inspected everything but I couldn't replicate the sound without the weight of the car on the control arm.

Sometimes worn struts and strut bushings can cause a knock as well. Really, the only way to go about locating these sounds is to try and replicate it.

It's an off chance but I had a friend with a CB that had an occasional knock. It ended up being a lost socket.

Comment

Working...
                              X