Blue Smoke At High Rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Smoke At High Rpms

Hello I have a 1990 HONDA ACCORD LX F22A1 208K MILES. When I rev the car high like 6k-6.2k blue smoke comes out of exhaust when I rev it to 4k-5k no blue smoke or at any other rpm level at that just wondering does anybody else's engine do this? Sit in park rev it up real high and post to tell me if it does please I know the engine has a lot of miles/years on it but just trying to figure out if I should be worrying about this or not as it seems to run fine. I will not be able to do a compression or leakdown test anytime soon but is there any way specifically to check if its valve guides/seals or piston rings? Also I have oil in spark plugs/wires if that makes a difference or could cause it. Thank you in advanced.
    Last edited by Kev1990; 09-30-2014, 12:40 AM.

I know its kinda old post. but rings are most likely gone, same with the valve seals.

Comment

Do you get the blue smoke when the engine is running at 6k rpm, or after you release the throttle and the rpms are dropping?

After you release the throttle, engine vacuum is going to be very high. This could be pulling oil past the valve seals. And it might not be a problem during normal driving.

Best indicator? How often do you have to add oil?

Comment

Maybe quarter of a quart every 800-1,200 miles if that? The cars been sitting after I did 30k miles on it doing a newspaper route just getting it back together in even better running shape before I start driving it again on November second lol. BTW that is a measurement when the car was being driven 120 miles a night city driving basically I had a slow oil leak too at the time engine wasn't taken to 6k rpms though often unless I had to go crazy entering a main street LOL.
        Last edited by Kev1990; 10-15-2014, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Mine does it too. Be it carbon'd up rings or wore rings, whatever. It does it.

Most Accords with the stock F22A do it once they get some miles on them. Some disagree and say they have carbon'd up rings with low miles too but most Accords that smoke are high in miles.

Brittle or worn valve stem seals are also possible. Either way I would just deal with it. I lose a quart every 300 miles driving normal. But I can lose a quart in 50 miles beating on it. Only way around it is to tear it down.

You can pull the rocker assembly off, run each cylinder up to the top to hold the valves in, take the springs, locks and retainers off for that cylinder and replace the valve stem seals that way. Personally I wouldn't wast my time.

Some people use a rope, cord or hose in the cylinder via the spark plug hole and hold the valves in that way. But, again, it's not worth it IMO. It's probably the rings anyways. Be it carbon or wear.

It will run and run while burning oil. Trust me. If you don't beat on it it will not get much worse if any worse for a long time.

I have thought about seeing if marvel mystery oil soaking in the cylinder for a few days would soften up the carbon enough to blow some of the shit out. But I doubt it. And if it did you would run the risk of breaking a piece loose and screwing something up. I believe it was wagon-r actually that said in another thread that the carbon you will find in the rings is hard as a rock and needs a flathead screw driver in order to be removed.

Comment

Dam Josh is that your car burning a quart every 300 miles or is it leaking? How many miles you have on your cb7?

Comment

Engine has 252K. 5 Speed transmission has 380K.

I beat the piss out of this car since 180K. It was my daily for a while. I don't drive it much anymore. It's sitting in my field until next year or until I get bored this winter.

My last CB7 burned a quart every 1000 miles. It had 374,000 on it when the car got hit sitting in a parking lot. I beat on it since 360K.

Comment

Dam nice Josh. So as long as we keep adding oil it'll keep running lol

Comment

Yup. That's the luxury of owning a CB.

It's tough as nails man. They really are. There are videos on YouTube where they try to blow them up holding them against the rev limiter for 10 - 20 mins. Most of the time they never blow up they seize from over heating after running out of coolant.

Guaranteed you could take those engines half way through the videos and drive the thing a couple years. That's why, IMO, it's such a waste to blow them up.

Personally I have only managed to "blow one up". Mine started knocking at 368K. I drove it until the day it was wrecked. Fired it up when I got it home off the wrecker, cold, and right off the bat held it against the rev limiter for about 20 seconds. Just to see if it would go ahead and go. And not to my surprise, it never got any louder or came apart.

As for your oil situation, just keep an eye on the oil. If you can do that then it will keep running.

Comment

I like your cb7 BTW not sure about the muffler though lol whoever had my car before me put a EX muffler on it I like the two tips and my cb7 is the light blue like the million mile car. In my area my car is well known lol because there's only one other blue one just like mine but it's paint is faded I had mine repainted I've had offers up to 2.4k for it because I keep it clean and try to keep it in real good running shape the best I can that is. One guy even tried pulling out 1.5k cash right infront of me to sell it right at a convenient store LOL well it's known as Wawa here in NJ. EDIT That's a dam nice muffler your looking to purchase lol. Rofl when did you rock fart cans? Ahahahaa you got any pictures of your old fart cans? What's the model number for that muffler BTW? Never-mind found it a bit expensive for muffler not sure though haven't priced any oem mufflers for our cars yet lol.
                    Last edited by Kev1990; 10-15-2014, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                      I like your cb7 BTW not sure about the muffler though lol whoever had my car before me put a EX muffler on it I like the two tips and my cb7 is the light blue like the million mile car.
                      It's an OBX WS2 muffler. Just like the Apexi WS2 muffler. It's a knockoff but near identical in looks. Mines quite a bit louder.

I no longer rock fart cans. Lol

Next muffler will be this:

Vibrant StreetPower dual tip.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 10-15-2014, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Josh the mechanic told me earlier today when I picked up my car that i'm gonna need another part of the exhaust eventually done something near the headers and it's braided or something do you know what part of the exhaust that is called? I am not the best when working on/with exhausts. BTW do you think 149 for a new resonator pipe assembly welded on was a good deal?
                        Last edited by Kev1990; 10-15-2014, 10:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kev1990 View Post
                          Josh the mechanic told me earlier today when I picked up my car that i'm gonna need another part of the exhaust eventually done something near the headers and it's braided or something do you know what part of the exhaust that is called? I am not the best when working on/with exhausts. BTW do you think 149 for a new resonator pipe assembly welded on was a good deal?
                          thats the flex pipe, even though the outer braid goes to shit the inside corrugated part is actually pretty resilient(pic 1).unless its just straight braid(pic 2, cheap) i wouldnt worry about it until youre driving along and it suddenly sounds like a p51 mustang is buzzing your head.
                          they have them at auto parts stores now for an ok price.

ours is like this long:

the price you paid is ok considering the convenience.

Comment

Originally posted by H311RA151N View Post
                            It's an OBX WS2 muffler. Just like the Apexi WS2 muffler. It's a knockoff but near identical in looks. Mines quite a bit louder.

I no longer rock fart cans. Lol

Next muffler will be this:

Vibrant StreetPower dual tip.

you copying me? lol.. I have one already but im conflicted on how to mount the hanger to it. Ive been looking around for those oval stainless straps(without much luck) that have the hanger post on it, or to weld to it instead of welding to the actual muffler and messing up the powdercoat. Its a hefty muffler, I bet itll sound great.

Comment

You have nice tastes my friend! I have had my eye on it for a while.

I wonder what it would sound like with a Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator. I have heard the muffler on a 1G DSM turbo and it sounded pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                              X