Aftermarket compressors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket compressors?

My 93 Accord SE sedan is at the dealer getting resurrected so it can become my DD again. I was told that the compressor is shot and that I need a new one. Living in Florida, having a/c is a necessity so this has to get done. The service guy (not the mechanic) said that I could get an aftermarket compressor and that they could put it in. Is that accurate? I've never heard of using an aftermarket compressor in these models, and I couldn't find anything on aftermarkets in doing a search on the forum. Or, should I just try and find a JY or refurbished OEM?

FWIW, the car was retrofitted for R-13 years ago, and the compressor is a Hadsys. Thanks in advance for any help.

my rare Hadsys compressor on my 93 EX Coupe failed back in Aug 13' dumping out all my expensive R12 i had in there. The cause was the high pressure relief valve, so to my knowledge, the compressor is still good.

If you're interested in it, I believe I still have it sitting in my garage.

But back to your original question, aftermarket compressors do work fine even with the Hadsys setup. I purchased one on ebay after finding out Honda wanted 900+ for a replacement, Napa wanted 440 and Pep Boys about 360.

The guy on Ebay, based in Texas sold some remans for 170+shipping. You'll need a Hadsys RC17S compressor. I took a chance and its been just about a year now and its working great. The only problem I encountered is with the clutch that came with it, its a cheap clutch that can't withstand the heat.

This may or may not happen to you but, depending on your ambient temperature, in Phoenix, it got to 115+ that summer and the clutch that came with it just literally melted the magnet that turns it on and off and seized up. Luckily I started smelling electronic burning smells and quickly pulled over and shut the A/C off to disengage the clutch.

I had to revert back to my factory Honda AC clutch that had over 240k on it, which failed a short time later doing something similar, most likely due to me not knowing how many shims to put between the compressor and clutch housing but I found another hadsys clutch at the JY, this time making sure to keep track of the shim placement and put that one on and have had no problems since. This one has 200k+ on it too.

So long story short, Aftermarket compressors are OK, but be weary of the clutch that comes with it as it may be subpar quality.
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 09-13-2014, 05:27 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Thanks for the info. Send me a PM and let me know what your price would be for the compressor.

The one in the car now is the original and the car has 320K miles on it. The car has been in Florida all it's life, so that compressor has been on *a lot* due to the heat. I"m not surprised that they said it was toast.

I'm watching a couple of compressors on e-bay now.
      http://www.ebay.com/itm/201106080184...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271469944436...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one concerns me as I thought he may have misspelled "Hadsys", but further in the description he says the brand is "Four Seasons" and in another place says "Keihin" so I may have to verify the band if I decide to go with this one. There are others on e-bay, but quite a bit more expensive.

Comment

If you buy Losiracer's compressor, be sure to swap the mineral oil to pag using a rinse, some say carb cleaner but I find it rough on the seals in the 7 pistons on the compressor. The car shop sells AC flush for a price but you can also get some from the internet.

I've been using a Hadsys from a 94 accord with a converted port setup and it works great. It started out R13. The only way you can tell is the pulley has one extra groove. A trained eye would only catch the port swap and extra row on the pulley.

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
          Thanks for the info. Send me a PM and let me know what your price would be for the compressor.

The one in the car now is the original and the car has 320K miles on it. The car has been in Florida all it's life, so that compressor has been on *a lot* due to the heat. I"m not surprised that they said it was toast.

I'm watching a couple of compressors on e-bay now.
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/201106080184...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271469944436...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

This one concerns me as I thought he may have misspelled "Hadsys", but further in the description he says the brand is "Four Seasons" and in another place says "Keihin" so I may have to verify the band if I decide to go with this one. There are others on e-bay, but quite a bit more expensive.
          PM'd.

I remember hearing 4 Seasons when I was shopping for one. That one I believe was a Pepboys one. check out the below link.

http://www.pepboys.com/search/?term=...niEvent=event1

member's ride thread
          93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
          99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
          91 Accord SE 176k
          97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

That's good to know that later model Hadsys compressors would work as well. Nice to hear that there are several options out there.

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
            If you buy Losiracer's compressor, be sure to swap the mineral oil to pag using a rinse, some say carb cleaner but I find it rough on the seals in the 7 pistons on the compressor. The car shop sells AC flush for a price but you can also get some from the internet.

I've been using a Hadsys from a 94 accord with a converted port setup and it works great. It started out R13. The only way you can tell is the pulley has one extra groove. A trained eye would only catch the port swap and extra row on the pulley.

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
              My 93 Accord SE sedan is at the dealer getting resurrected so it can become my DD again. I was told that the compressor is shot and that I need a new one. Living in Florida, having a/c is a necessity so this has to get done. The service guy (not the mechanic) said that I could get an aftermarket compressor and that they could put it in. Is that accurate? I've never heard of using an aftermarket compressor in these models, and I couldn't find anything on aftermarkets in doing a search on the forum. Or, should I just try and find a JY or refurbished OEM?

FWIW, the car was retrofitted for R-13 years ago, and the compressor is a Hadsys. Thanks in advance for any help.
              Is your dealer okay with you bringing your own compressor for them to install???
              Do they have warranty on their work including the customer bought/brought compressor failure? Even if it was used?

I ran a shop and I let my customers bring their own parts. If those parts fails, my customer pays again for re-do of the work. No warranty work.

Since you are not doing the work yourself, you may want to consider that side of a maintenance as well.
              A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
              X