Main relay, or fuel pump.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main relay, or fuel pump.

A few times this summer my car exhibited the main relay symptoms, not nessasarilly on the hottest days but when warmer. It would fail to start, or restart when parked for a short period of time. Every time eventually starting. Yesterday it happened while driving, I was in the middle of fourth gear getting on the freeway when the car just stopped accelerating. I seemed like no fuel, the engine was still turning still had spark just no power and I coasted to a stop. I popped the hood jiggled the plug wires and checked the fuses, unrelated the fan fuse was blown. I got back in the car started it up and drove home.

Would or can the main relay be the culprit when moving in gear? Would that have to be the fuel pump?
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Do you happen too have access too a known working relay too use as a tester for your relay? It sounds more like a short in a wire. you may need too pull out your multimeter and start checking continuity.
    CB7TUNER.com
    Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

I've had eight CBs and never had a fuel pump go out. How do you know you still have spark (when driving)? The ignition control module in the distributor can be no start / shut down issue. Do you have a fuel pressure gage? If the engine dies with fuel pressure still present, then it is more likely an ignition issue.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Cb9 love: no I don't have an extra relay. It could be a short. In fact the second clip away from the steering column toward the car, the large blue one burnt one of the pin wholes a couple years ago. That one was the running lights wire, green I think. I don't know if the main relay goes into that clip at all.

I have smelled burnt plasticky elerectricalness a couple times. I think that could be the relay or the big blue connector again.

Fleetwood, I have not checked for spark or fuel, I only popped the hood once this month when I was on the side of the freeway. However the way the car died was like I was downshifting coasting to a stop in gear, still sounded like the car was running except when I hit the gas it just kept slowing down, then I shifted to third, then second then dead.Maybe a sputter or two. The way it happened and the other symptoms lead me to believe fuel is the culprit. Not nessasarilly the fuel pump though.

Update: Yesterday after I filled up the tank with gas the car started and died immediately. About 5 minutes later after trying about five times it started up and I drove home. Same thing I have seen before in this and other cb's. That sounds like main relay right?

As my job is killing me right now I have not done anything and don't foresee having time to go to the junk yard until next Wednesday. I might see if the local dealerships have a relay I can pick up and just throw in after work one night.
        Edit: If that's what I try this is it right....
        39400-SM4-003 028 001 RELAY ASSY., MAIN (RZ-0088) (MITSUBA) 74.30 52.01 Qty:
        From the fuse box relay page at majestic.
        Last edited by cb7 calling; 09-11-2014, 07:30 AM.
        ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
        X