Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver's front door latch preventive replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver's front door latch preventive replacement?

So yesterday I took my car to a Honda expert shop where he's been working on Hondas and Acuras for over 30 years. I wanted to replace the timing belt but after checking it from below he said it's still in great condition since I only put on less than 50K miles on it. I also thought the bearing was bad but he said there's nothing wrong with my bearing and it's the cheap ass tires that I have making that noise. Also the tires need alignment or maybe cheap tire the make the steering wheel slight shake/wobble at low speed. He also mentioned to replace the driver's front door latch as a preventive item b/c it's a common problem in our cars. He said to buy a new one from the dealer since the old ones from the junk yard, we don't know the life that they have left.
    I would like some suggestion on this.

1) Is there a way to prolong the latch from freezing and the door won't open any more? Could you grease it often to prevent this problem? With lithium grease or graphite powder?

2) Should I trust the old ones from the junkyard or should I buy a new one? The new one is really expensive and I don't see any after market ones.

What do you guys think?
    Here's a link to the DIY for the latch that freezes.
    Link
    Link
    Link

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by Bad_dude; 06-11-2014, 01:24 AM.

I would just grab one from the JY and use graphite lubricant. I went the same route when mine went out.

Comment

IDK about this "expert" it sounds like he wants some action on that part he wants you to buy, sometimes on old stock parts a tech can "sell" the part and help himself out by suggesting it be replaced. Has he offered to install it? Did you say yes? Did you pay him anything for looking at your car?
      " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
        IDK about this "expert" it sounds like he wants some action on that part he wants you to buy, sometimes on old stock parts a tech can "sell" the part and help himself out by suggesting it be replaced. Has he offered to install it? Did you say yes? Did you pay him anything for looking at your car?
        He just recommended to replace it and he said that I could do it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahf View Post
          I would just grab one from the JY and use graphite lubricant. I went the same route when mine went out.
          My current one seem to work well still, could I lube it some how to prevent it from freezing up? If yes, what's the best way?
          How hard is it to replace it?
          Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
            He just recommended to replace it and he said that I could do it myself.
            Ok cool he seems all right I guess then, he just knows what fails a lot and is trying to help you out. I had a 2004 Chevrolet Caviler that I had to replace the door latch on 3 times in 2 years! It was inside the door and you had to fully remove door panel to access it. I am guessing Honda has it set up similar and you will need to remove whole door panel to really access and lubricate it.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=52477

Comment

I have removed the panels a whole bunch of times to upgrade the speakers and the dynamat. I can remove to lube it. Is there graphite spray?
                Thanks.

Comment

If it works let it be. You could always buy one from the j/y if you are concerned about the future.
                  Last edited by cb7 calling; 06-12-2014, 08:03 AM.
                  ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Hell with 1881 posts you would think you are a Honda expert lol sorry I tried to help you....

Comment

Sorry I am no expert. Just an average past time can't afford a newer car.

Comment

Working...
                      X