OVERHEATING. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OVERHEATING. Thoughts?

I copied this over from my MRT to see if anybody could throw their two cents in. Thanks guys.

Small update:

So my damn car is starting to overheat. I'm not sure what it is at this point as I havent really looked at it.

I was driving down the freeway on my way to work when I noticed my temp gauge getting a little steep. Then it was actually touching the hot. At that point, I pulled over and turned the car off.

Im pissed. Its 5:45, I start at 6, and I'm on the side of the damn road waiting for my car to cool down. So I call my gf and tell her to get up and take me to work and that I'm heading home. I was able to make it home with the hood popped to try and keep it cool. Surprisingly, it stayed at operating temp the entire way home except when I was at a complete stop.

I'm not too worried about it being the HG since I was able to make it home so easily- but at the same time, I'm not gonna get my hopes up. From my experience, overheating is generally caused by 3 main things: T-stat failure, Water Pump failure, Bad HG. Obviously, there are other issues that could contribute as well(i.e. plugged H-core, air in the system, etc.). I just have to go home and actually take a look. All I had time to do was feel the upper radiator hose. 'Twas hot. That's about all the info I have at this point. Gonna jump right in when Im off work. I'm gonna paste this in the technical section to see what some have to say. Doesnt hurt to have a second opinion right? Or a third for that matter lol.
    Wrecked, Revived, and still Rollin'

Check out my MRT!

Originally posted by deevergote
    The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

1st, you should touch both the upper and the lower hose to make sure that the T-stat is working properly that is when the gauge is at normal OP temp.

2nd, when it reaches normal op temp, check if the fans are working.

3rd, check if the there's any cooling leak on the radiator, some leaks could be similar to DRIP IRRIGATION, meaning you won't notice it so use a light and point it at each spot on your radiator for 1 minute
    Last edited by EsperHamid; 04-19-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

^ Do what he said, especially number 1 and report back.
      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by EsperHamid View Post
        1st, you should touch both the upper and the lower hose to make sure that the T-stat is working properly that is when the gauge is at normal OP temp.

2nd, when it reaches normal op temp, check if the fans are working.

3rd, check if the there's any cooling leak on the radiator, some leaks could be similar to DRIP IRRIGATION, meaning you won't notice it so use a light and point it at each spot on your radiator for 1 minute

Correct, as stated above

If it's over heating when you stop , then it could be a fan problem.
        Check for bubbles in the radiator when you remove the cap, not when it's already over heated. If you have small bubbles , then you may have a blown head gasket.

MRThttp://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=84102 93se h22/t2t4

Comment

My old 92 wagon got real hot going from Los Angeles to Vegas! (this is how good Hondas are) I drove the entire way in the almost H witht eh heater on...then since I didn't have time and $ in Vegas....I drove it back to LA the same way! 4½ hours! Well I was sure I would need a new motor when I got back to LA. Had mechanic look at it....Replaced the radiator ($120) labor (too much) and the car ran perfect for the next 4 years!
          91 coupe had a hole in head..only way to get it to CB7 member near Palm Springs was to drive it there. The trip was as if the Coupe wasn't hurt at all! got the car to 100mph in a spot.
          What I'm getting at is your car isn't damaged...yes..check the hoses from the radiator..for good measure replace the thermostat (don't forget to connect ground wire near it)..Check the fans.. And then maybe if still hot replace the radiator. I'll bet the radiator is the culprit.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
          New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
          My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Check for leaks a bad hose can let air pockets in causing you to overheat too. Make sure that the tstat is working properly with the hose trick too. Make sure that the coolant isn't mixing up with the oil. When the water pump blades turn to mush no circulation is being processed to be pumped through the system which leaves shit trapped in there too. Check that radiator as well the slightest pebble on your join can cause a bad leak if hit at the correct weakest point.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
              My old 92 wagon got real hot going from Los Angeles to Vegas! (this is how good Hondas are) I drove the entire way in the almost H witht eh heater on...then since I didn't have time and $ in Vegas....I drove it back to LA the same way! 4½ hours! Well I was sure I would need a new motor when I got back to LA. Had mechanic look at it....Replaced the radiator ($120) labor (too much) and the car ran perfect for the next 4 years!
              91 coupe had a hole in head..only way to get it to CB7 member near Palm Springs was to drive it there. The trip was as if the Coupe wasn't hurt at all! got the car to 100mph in a spot.
              What I'm getting at is your car isn't damaged...yes..check the hoses from the radiator..for good measure replace the thermostat (don't forget to connect ground wire near it)..Check the fans.. And then maybe if still hot replace the radiator. I'll bet the radiator is the culprit.
              Okay so update:

Replaced the t-stat and bled the system.

Still running hot. At this point, its running hot even when I drive. Sometimes, it cools down- but for the most part, its running hot. I guess the radiator is the next step from here. Im just nervous because the PO replaced the head and she was super shady(lied about it even being replaced at first). Im pretty pissed because I also found out the fans are Jerry-rigged as fuck. They don't come on using a switch. They were wired to pop on as soon as the key turned. Only thing I can think of is if I flush the radiator.. Idk.

Check out my MRT!

The most unique "modification" these days is a full restoration. Take a 20+ year old Honda and make it look brand new... and it'll be more impressive than the guy with the stock-block turbo and plastidipped steelies.

Comment

dude !! leave the damn radiator !! and fix your fans, the fans can't come on all the time, directly wiring them is bad for your engine. I think the radiator is fine, check ECT ( cooling sensor ) and the fan switches
                Last edited by EsperHamid; 04-21-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Sup y'all! replaced the T-stat first since it was the cheapest solution. Then I flushed the system for piece of mind. I then bled and bled. So far its been running well. We'll see though.

Check out my MRT!

Comment

Working...
                  X