Half Shaft vs. Intermediate Shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half Shaft vs. Intermediate Shaft

This is a half shaft... more commonly referred to as an "axle".

This is an intermediate shaft. Also known as a jack shaft (though that isn't a term I've ever seen used around here.) Very often mistakenly called a "half shaft".

If anyone has any evidence to show that I am incorrect, please correct me.
    I just decided that this would be smart to post, as I regularly see people asking to buy a "half shaft", and I'm waiting to see if someone sends them an axle.

The shaft in your second picture is most definitely an intermediate shaft. It's name implies its usage. It is the intermediary between the transmission and the axle.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Quick question, if the car is owned by a female is it called a jill shaft
      http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

i concur with this description.

an axle is a half shaft by my understanding. seeing as you need 2 on a front wheel drive vehicle. so one half shaft would be half of the number of constant velocity or CV axles that you need.

and intermediate shaft is specifically named as such because the transmission differential is offset to the passenger side. so the passenger side axle just goes right into the differential. then on the other side of the differential an intermediate shaft (being in between the differential and the drivers side axle) goes over to the drivers side axle. thereby allowing both front drive axles to have the same length

i learned while shopping for an intermediate shaft online. that alot of people confuse the two. me and deev ended up finding one in a junkyard that had a good bearing. but i digress.

-sean
        Last edited by 93twodoorLX; 04-11-2014, 07:08 PM.
        Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
        Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Might be worth noting that the Automatics are not set up like this, doesn't the drivers side axle reach all way to the transmission? I could be wrong though and thinking about a different car...

Comment

Originally posted by Sordz View Post
            Might be worth noting that the Automatics are not set up like this, doesn't the drivers side axle reach all way to the transmission? I could be wrong though and thinking about a different car...
            no, you are correct on that assumption

my driver side axle is longer than my passenger side

when i purchase axles i have always referred to them as driver or passenger side axle,

Comment

I'm on the Facebook group for CB7 Buy/Sell/Trade... and I swear, I see two posts a week where people are asking for a "half shaft"... and they clearly mean the intermediate shaft. I usually comment about it... and the comment goes ignored every time.

Sean, I forgot about that day! You're still running that shaft, right?

Comment

Do the intermediate shafts really experience much trouble? I'm still running the original on Ruby at 317,000+ miles.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

i just looked on Rockauto and they list the axles as half shafts and they do not list the intermediate shaft at all

but Honda has it

44500-SM4-020 SHAFT ASSY., HALF , SHAFT ASSY., HALF $239.66 Each

44510-SM4-020 SHAFT, HALF , SHAFT, HALF $155.06 Each

this is the intermediate shaft for the manual trans
                  Last edited by bobbycos; 04-11-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Yonaka lists the intermediate shaft as an intermediate half shaft... which further supports my claim that Yonaka is garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      Yonaka lists the intermediate shaft as an intermediate half shaft... which further supports my claim that Yonaka is garbage.
                      lol more like they should stick to exhaust..cheap source of cheap stainless knwhtimeen. Have you seen the guy that own's it or whatever, youtube videos?

Maybe though its a regional thing, `cause I hear half shaft a lot!

random: he uses another pseudonym

his other ones are funny
                      Last edited by illinois_erik; 04-11-2014, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X