Long Trip Preperartion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Trip Preperartion

So it is still a few months before I move, but I like to prepare.

So the trip will be a one way trip of 2300 miles. The first few hundred will be in the mountains going up and down inclines then it will be flat for the most part. This will be in the summer and I expect high temperatures but I expect we will be at a constant speed of 80 mph. I will also have one other person with me and some other heavy stuff like the spare transmission and the rear disc conversion if it is not finished here, there will also be some smaller stuff clothes, XBOX obviously, and other stuff. Going from WA to OH.

What can I do to insure my car and all the weight will make the 2300 mile trip? My only plan is oil change and coolant change and bring extra of both, and I am considering swapping the H2U5 back in because the noises coming from the M2S4 bearings and better highway ratios.
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

U-Haul

how i brought my 70 Impala with 2 spare engines, 1 tranny and all my stuff/tools from Vacaville ,California to NYC back in 1986

i wasn't taking any chances
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I do not have anything that can tow nor the money to rent an extra truck.

Comment

i hear you on that but i was absolutly forced to save the money for the trip otherwise i would have had to leave alot of it behind and never see it again

are you renting a truck already?
        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

No moving for college and I am moving to my Aunt's so no need to bring furniture. The largest thing I will be bringing will probably be the rear disc stuff. Living with my mom at the moment so anything left behind is not lost. I am considering coming back next year with a truck to pick up the engine if it does not sell.
          Last edited by XCRN; 01-27-2014, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Make sure you have a good set of tires. Inflate them to near their maximum pressure if you're going to have all the weight in the car. Check the condition of brakes hoses, coolant hoses, belts, etc. Check your brake shoes and pads. Check the condition of ball joints, tie rod ends, axles, springs (broken coils?), shocks, etc. Check for any evidence of leaks/cracks in the radiator. If the weight is going to be excessive for your suspension, consider renting a small trailer that could be towed with the Accord.

I suggest not driving 80 mph with a fully loaded vehicle; if so, leave plenty of distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. If you do have a lot of weight and the car sits down at the rear, you might temporarily adjust your headlights to keep from blinding other drivers.

Another option would be to ship some of the stuff. To where are you moving in Ohio?
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I did consider shipping some, but the few stuff I am bringing I will need or is too expensive but good info.

Comment

Great advice! As I see you are using a coupe. Will this "stuff" be in the back AND the trunk? The coupe I have seems to have a pretty good frame built to hold 5 people without the rear slouching. If you figure the three people in back weigh over 100+lbs each figure about total rear added weight is 400lbs. Does the stuff weigh more than that? I would keep the big stuff and definitely start sending small boxes of stuff of about $10-20 each month so you're not broke. The hopefully you get the weight down to about under 200..one person size. So you will have you..the passenger and the two large parts and one box of stuff. No extra clothes...just bring 3 pairs of underwear! Don't drive commando for two or three days in the summer ...just don't.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

This - http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showpost...02&postcount=1

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by SilverShadow View Post
                    Great advice! As I see you are using a coupe. Will this "stuff" be in the back AND the trunk? The coupe I have seems to have a pretty good frame built to hold 5 people without the rear slouching. If you figure the three people in back weigh over 100+lbs each figure about total rear added weight is 400lbs. Does the stuff weigh more than that? I would keep the big stuff and definitely start sending small boxes of stuff of about $10-20 each month so you're not broke. The hopefully you get the weight down to about under 200..one person size. So you will have you..the passenger and the two large parts and one box of stuff. No extra clothes...just bring 3 pairs of underwear! Don't drive commando for two or three days in the summer ...just don't.
                    So to keep things balanced as possible, transmission in the trunk, rear discs behind the seats and suit cases and small stuff on the back seat. Both rear discs feel to be 50-60 combined, transmission is 75 I think someone said before. Clothes and other stuff will probably not exceed 40. Vehicle fluids for extra precaution 10. Both people are probably 360 together.

Comment

Added up it's about the same as having 5 adults in the car. So you really shouldn't be too heavy. Coolant, a funnel,electrical tape and a good tool box.Our cars like a speed of 70-80 on hwy.

Old wagon - Silver '92 LX Wagon - Steve (Shadow)- STOLEN ON LABOR DAY 2012
                      New wagon- White '92 LX Wagon on 1/3/13 (Frostbite)

2000 EX Coupe - Joe -

www.AccordWagonClub.com
                      My Facebook Site - ACCORDOBSESSION

Comment

Well M2S4 makes it rev near the 3500 mark. I would like to stay at 60 but when I was headed toward the eastern side of the state for 300 miles, which would be the same route taken to get to Ohio, the slow traffic was going 80. Even highway patrol was cruising at 80 despite the 60 limit. I find it safer to go with the flow and not slower.

Comment

I Love these Cb's because they are a very verital vehicle that pretty much as long as your not off roading they do great. I once had 3 200lb people and three children riding in my cb up to Reno Nv and back to my town a 200 mile trip each way I made 425 to the full tank and the light didn't come on, what I belive helped me is using the down grades to throw my car into neutral and coast tapping the brakes as little as possable until I saw it was going to be a up hill area in which I got back into Drive without a beat. and another story Is moving when I did I loaded 15 paving stone's at least 10 plants clothes myself and my Ex in the car and that there did weigh my car down enough to where at stock height over bumps you could hear the rear tires hitting the upper control arm.
                          In any respect The coupe's have everything we sedan's have except the two back door's and so if you can keep the brakes behind your seat and the engine in the trunk and deffently as stated above go through and check your tires, the oil change is a good idea, and just go through and look at everything that may fail on the road.
                          Good luck on the trip!

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
                          Do it once, do it right.
                          Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
                          Missing My
                          White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
                          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

I keep a spare alternator belt, various short lengths & sizes of coolant hoses n other hoses, couple short pieces of brake line, coolant, brake fluid, some hose clamps n enough tools to fix anything on the spot or at least limp it somewheres for a part... but I also already have this stuff laying around from doing my own work... The coolant hose I keep in the car is the same size as the stuff that comes from the heater core, which has saved me more than twice on the side of the road n once from being stranded at work at 5am after a 12hr shift in the winter.
                            4000watts just so all the haters hear me comin!

Comment

Bring a medical kit first off and bottled water. But also some road flares, a jack, spare and a compressor, jumper cables tools and such.

Comment

Working...
                              X