Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No brake lights. Tail lights work, horn works.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No brake lights. Tail lights work, horn works.

I'm trying to get my CB7 back on the road, and I've discovered that I have no brake lights.

All the lights worked years ago when I took the car off the road.
    The horn works (which is on the same circuit.)
    The tail lights work.
    There is no evidence of leaking in the trunk/taillight area.

Since I last drove the car, I replaced the clutch master cylinder twice, and messed around with the clutch pedal adjustment. I may have knocked something out of place while I was down there, but I can't see any evidence of that. All wiring at the pedal and at the lights themselves looks completely undamaged.

Electrical things aren't my strong point, so I'm going to need help figuring this out! Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could try, test, or look for before I start ripping things out of the car?

Everything I've checked so far was from what I've read in other threads.

Since the go to answer for most electrical issues is "check your grounds" I'm going to say imo i don't think that's it.

The next common for brake lights is the control boxes. Is it possible the circuits have corroded over time from just sitting and not being used?

If you haven't checked that yet it's a start.
    No bulb out light on the dash?
    Does the third brake light work even though the brake lights don't work?
    Last edited by Quashish; 12-28-2013, 06:54 PM.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

None of the brake lights work, tails or third.

I'm going to check the brain box in the tails... hopefully that's it. Doesn't take on any water, but that could still be it.

Comment

Oh, i thought you meant only running brake lights worked.

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

No brake lights at all.
          Sucks, because the car is just about ready to be put back on the road. I just can't drive with no brake lights, or I'll get a Buick enema!

Comment

Ok, just got the car started (after charging the battery).
            The "brake light" indicator is on. It also shows all doors ajar (they are not.)

Comment

I know the Brown control box under the dash controls the seat belt light, and door chime. Maybe its also part of the problem?

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

Comment

Not sure. All the brain boxes under the dash have never given me a problem, so I'm no expert on this stuff.

The guys on Facebook are suggesting the brain boxes in the lights themselves, as well as the switch on the pedal (which is apparently easier to remove than it seems...)

Comment

this might be not helpful at all but my buddy Pedro put aftermarket bulbs in the interior of his CB7 ( i think the map light) and all of a sudden all of his ext. lights were acting goofy and had a mind of their own.

He later changed the interior bulbs back to stock and everything worked fine.

Comment

All stock interior lights on my car... but had I done anything funky, I probably wouldn't have even thought that was the cause. Thanks!

Comment

Since all the brake lights don't work, the most likely place to start is the brake switch. Make sure it extends when the pedal is pressed and is not stuck in.

A cheap voltmeter would really come in handy to test with.
                      Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Working...
                      X