No announcement yet.

Car Won't Turn Off, Then Won't Turn On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking a wiring issue with the switch. Check the wiring.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The problem is your ignition switch. Not the lock cylinder. Look up the video on youtube. There is a video that is clear on how to do it on an accord.

Rush

Originally posted by Darkcloud
      Bought 3 things, 1 that goes boom,1 that shades and 1 to go fasrer
      Originally posted by bmxicansd
      so you got a boombox, sunglasses and rosettta stone?

Comment

So you all are suggesting the subsequent replacement ignition switch is bad?
        '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
        If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
          So you all are suggesting the subsequent replacement ignition switch is bad?
          New switch or 2nd hand? And how old is it?

But yes, Still suggesting its the switch - new parts can be faulty.

Only other possibility is a sticking relay, but I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me, I'll have a look soon.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
            New switch or 2nd hand? And how old is it?

But yes, Still suggesting its the switch - new parts can be faulty.
            ... or user/installer error. Possibly a wiring problem with switch/switch harness.
            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

If you have an alarm. Could this have something to do with the starter Kill relay?
              Just thinking.

You replaced the switch(the wires with the brown plug), you can start it but it won't shut off. This correct?

My ignition lock cyclinder recently started to go bad. I don't notice the clicks. Sometimes it will stick on start and not click back. I hear the starter grind. Similar symptoms. But I have no trouble shutting my car off. Yet. I replaced my ignition switch about 1 year ago from honda like $90

If you started the car with the lock cylinder out that rules that out. It could be a ignition switch. Sometimes new parts are bad.

steve

Comment

So I've replaced the new ignition switch with another new switch from Autozone and the problem is still going. I'm stumped. I'm guessing there's something else going on that I'm not considering. Could it be the starter? Distributor?

Comment

You should test things before you replace them. Like I said. DID you DO THAT? Probably not. Test it as it sits now.

And no its not the starter kill relay. It would allow it not to crank, and never have anything to do it with it staying on.

Starter, hell no.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm following you....so if I pull out the ignition switch from the fuse box the ignition switch is the issue? Or the fuse box?

Comment

How did you bypass the alarm?

If I understand correctly, the original ignition switch wiring had the alarm immobilizer joined into it (for IG2, or the starter?) ?

And now you have bypassed the immobilizer and plugged the new ignition switch straight into the fusebox?

Been crazy busy at work today, but had a real quick look and IG2 seems to be a direct feed to the Dizzy coil.
                      Kill IG2 and the Dizzy should die.

I'll double check shortly.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

The alarm immobilizer was spliced into the old ignition switch. The ignition switch always plugged into the fuse box. So when I removed the old ignition switch, I simply unplugged it, and pulled the wires from the alarm out of the previously spliced ignition switch. To make sure I knew what my problem was, the new ignition switch I just plugged up minus the alarm. Without the ignition switch, the alarm has nothing to draw power from, thus making it inoperable.

Demon what and where is IG2? There's additional wiring that controls the system other than just the switch?
                        Last edited by Joey GT-R; 10-08-2013, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                          I'm not sure if I'm following you....so if I pull out the ignition switch from the fuse box the ignition switch is the issue? Or the fuse box?
                          Yes if it shuts down after you do this when the key is off then the problem lies in the switch. Somehow.

Your starter kill relay for the alarm should have nothing to do with this setup

Can you take off the ignition switch and let it hang...then put a screw driver in the switch portion to turn it on and start it...then shut it down....does it work normally? If so then your tumbler has an issue
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

I hope you found your problem Joey. This thread just helped me with mine. Ignition switch was hanging in "start", then wouldn't stay running in "on". I had to hold the key in between to keep it running. Swapped in the switch from my store of parts and it works fine. Thanks all.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

When you replaced the switch did you replace the wire that runs to the fuse box?

You might have wired it incorrectly so that the car has a constant positive connection to the "accessory" wire on the switch. So effectively when you turn the switch off the car is still sending power to the wrong wire and keeping the car on.

When I was 15 (yes 15) my friend and I rewired our accords ignition to be a push button start because the actual switch was broken (and still is). But we found if you wire it incorrectly it will keep the car on.

Comment

I would unclip the clips in the harness and look for fried connections. Just because I've seen it before.
                                ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Working...
                                X