Car Won't Turn Off, Then Won't Turn On

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Won't Turn Off, Then Won't Turn On

So I just pulled into my apartment and went to turn off the car. Turned the key to the off position and pulled it out. The car was still running. Stuck it back in, and repeated, still running. I did this about 3-4 more times. I popped the hood, and started looking. I disconnected the battery just to see what might happen; and of course the alternator switched over and kept the car alive. So after that, I dropped it in first with the E-Brake on and let it stall out. I pulled my key out, but the car still had accessories running. I flicked the key back and forth again, still no luck. So then I went back and disconnected the battery. Prior to, I tried to start the car to see if it would do the same thing, but now it won't start. I'm beyond puzzled.

POINTS OF INTEREST

1. I left my corners on all day long(10+ hours). The thing that makes the little jingle to remind you that your lights are on or your key is still in hasn't worked in months, perhaps a year. When I came back to my car after work they seemed decently bright still. I used a jumpbox however to start it up thinking the battery was probably too weak. I did notice the instrument cluster was a little dim for a bit, probably the battery charging up though? Not sure. My headlights were strong however.

2. I went to the mall to buy a suit for a funeral I hope to attend tomorrow. The car cut off fine, and started up strong yet again. The headlights and instrument cluster all seemed relatively fine.

3. While I was jiggling the key in the ignition(when the car wouldn't shut off) I accidentally turned it to on, which I believe burns up the starter. But it was only for maybe a second or two since as soon as I heard the sound I pulled it back.

I really hope somebody can help tonight, as I really want to make the funeral tomorrow to pay my respects to a dear family member.
    '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
    If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

My first guess would be the ignition switch. Easy enough to change out if you can get your hands on one.

Comment

Number 3. It happened to me.
      Similar but not exact.

Your starter should be fine but I belive you need a new ignition cylinder.
      For me when I started the car one time I held the key too much in the starting position when the starter goes off and it stuck with the starter sound going off like nuts and I couldn't turn off the car but I could take the key out. My starter started to smoke but was still fine even thought it went on for like 30 minutes to an hour. I got a new ignition cylinder and it fixed it. The ignition cylinder well for me was locked, maybe your case it could be loose or something now since it cannot decide when and where to turn off (aka sense when the key is moved/taken out)?

Most stores would be closed now.
      I would hit up Autozone or something in the morning if you can.
      Very easy fix if it's the ignition cylinder.

Good luck bro, sorry to hear the loss.
      Current:
      2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
      1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
      1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

Comment

Sounds like the ignitiin switch to me. Start the car and if it doesn't turn off disconnect the brown ignition switch plug from the fuse box.....if it shuts down then you have found your issue.
        What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

No shit. This just started happening to me yesterday.

I don't have the clicks anymore just goes straight to ignition on and off. And It sticks when the starter is on.

I Priced a ignition cylinder from advance. But I already have a different front door lock from where a jack leg broke in to my door.

Anyway to replace the tumbler with the one ffrom the old accord in a new cyclinder?

steve

Comment

From the sounds of it, it doesn't seem like it's the tumbler. Just the switch itself. You can remove the tumbler and work the ignition switch without a key if you really wanted to.

Comment

Joey, most likely it's the ignition. I've seen this happen on many domestic cars. Same symptoms, different manufacturer.

I sold a few ignition switches to Ford Taurus owners while working at Advance Auto.

... and no, I'm not riding Mike's coat tail.
              The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Okay I was able to remove the switch, but now it's attached to my alarm. Is there a key wire I should look for? A friend and I replaced the switch from Autozone about a year ago, but I don't remember doing all this. Any tips?

Comment

Do you have the alarm wiring guide? There is typically a wire from the ignition to the alarm ECU/module which will continue through to able/disable the starter.

All alarms are different as you already know, but the schematic will tell you which wires go to the ignition. I usually just look at the wiring diagrams.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The diagram is fodder for sure. I've been considering a new alarm but cutting the alarm might make it worse for me since I don't know what all the wires do.

Comment

The wires they tap is going to be the same as the new one. Just redo what they did. Or cut the existing harness after the alarm job and wire in the nee ignitiin switch...preferably solder or really strong butt connectors.
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

UPDATE

I got the new switch and I've bypassed my alarm in the meantime in an effort to get the car running. The problem persists. I don't seem to have a problem starting it, it just won't cut off. Since I just wanted to test the switch itself without bolting everything back up. I used a screwdriver in the little hole of the switch. So I doubt the lock cylinder or the key ignition itself is the issue.

Any other ideas?
                        Last edited by Joey GT-R; 10-06-2013, 06:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
                          UPDATE

I've bypassed my alarm in the meantime in an effort to get the car running. The problem persists. I don't seem to have a problem starting it, it just won't cut on. Since I just wanted to test the switch itself without bolting everything back up. I used a screwdriver in the little hole of the switch. So I doubt the lock cylinder or the key ignition itself is the issue.

Any other ideas?
                          The cylinder isn't the issue, The switch is - The part you put the screwdriver into.
                          Replace that.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                            The cylinder isn't the issue, The switch is - The part you put the screwdriver into.
                            Replace that.
                            Sorry bro I edited my post since it was kind of unclear. But I've put in a new switch but I'm still having the same problem, except this time the car starts up fine but won't cut off.

Comment

Is the tumbler damaged?

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Working...
                              X