egr cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

egr cleaning

So I'm thinking cleaning the egr would be a good plan.

But.... do some accords not have an egr? I'm watching the "P0401 Honda Accord, Cleaning EGR Passages " video , but my engine just doesn't look the same as that one. It almost looks like there's metal cast where the ports should be.

You have to drill and plug the EGR passages. The newer accord 96 and newer I know for sure not sure about 94-95 but 96 and new have bolts you take out and it allows you to pull a metal plate off and clean it. On ours you drill that little rubber out and clean them then plug it.

Comment

I don't really get how the egr works on our cars.

On ford explorers there is literally a pipe going from the exhaust back into the intake (which makes perfect sense).

But on both my accord the exhaust just goes straight out the back and doesn't have any point where it recirculates.

Which brings me back to my original question , do some accords not have an egr?

Comment

yes it does have egr just accomplished a different way. there are no pipes from the exhaust. This is because EGR is accomplished with intake vacuum in our cars.

The EGR valve is located on the intake manifold, to the far left as seen here:
        Last edited by Nyne521; 08-26-2013, 04:43 PM.

MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=188701

Comment

This video will help to answer your questions:

Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

It says in the video if the ports are fully blocked it'll miss or have a cel. Or if only a few are blocked then it could have a miss.

But the thing is my engine doesn't miss at all , just gets poor gas millage.

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
              It says in the video if the ports are fully blocked it'll miss or have a cel. Or if only a few are blocked then it could have a miss.

But the thing is my engine doesn't miss at all , just gets poor gas millage.
              you have plenty of cash to spend on gas ?! well do it .... don't be afraid, just a piece of advice, if you haven't done it before, then it is better to remove the intake manifold and do it on the bench, you will be more comfortable doing it.

you have to remove the fuel rail too. and clean the EGR valve too. If you do all this like I did and still get a CEL, it means the lift sensor on the EGR valve is not working and you have to change the valve.

WARNING: !! DO NOT DO NOT drill the 7th port on the right side of the intake manifold, don't do my mistake ...

DJ-Ender used Allen Key threads, which will allow you in the future to unscrew them and clean them ... I haven't tried this yet because I have found them in stores, if you happen to find them .... ask him how he did it
              Last edited by EsperHamid; 08-30-2013, 02:24 PM.

Comment

its not really going to miss, itll just do poorly in emissions testing
                I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I don't have a cel tho , just poor mileage.

Comment

I don't have a cel tho , just poor mileage.
                    it all returns back to you, if you leave it after a while you will eventually get a CEL ... unless ur problem isn't EGR all together

Comment

So I'm thinking cleaning the egr would be a good plan.

But.... do some accords not have an egr? I'm watching the "P0401 Honda Accord, Cleaning EGR Passages " video , but my engine just doesn't look the same as that one. It almost looks like there's metal cast where the ports should be.
                      Could be a 94-97 engine...those had that design. If so they are cake to clean.

But EGR only opens at around 2400 rpm for a moment and light crusing loads. Bad gas mileage, check anywhere else.
                      What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                        Could be a 94-97 engine...those had that design. If so they are cake to clean.

But EGR only opens at around 2400 rpm for a moment and light crusing loads. Bad gas mileage, check anywhere else.
                        so when i run cars on the dyno below 2k, the egr is non functional?
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

It would haveto be in my mind. But those machines do put a load so it should open....right?
                          What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
                          X