I think my radiator is toast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think my radiator is toast.

I hope I'm wrong, but I took my CB for a drive this morning and noticed smoke. I went back home and opened the hood to find tiny bubbles coming from the top of the radiator. The bubbles look like they are coming from under the little black foam on the top of the radiator. Do I need a new one? Or can this be fixed with JB weld or something.

Not sure what you mean by black foam piece, but generally speaking there should be no leaks, bubbles, etc. So yes, sounds like you need a new radiator.

You could use JB Weld, but this would be a bandaid fix. I'd replace the unit especially if your radiator is in rough looking shape.

Comment

Yeah you are right. They don't seem to cost too much anyway. I think I'll just buy one from RockAuto.com.

Comment

Originally posted by D-rock615 View Post
        Yeah you are right. They don't seem to cost too much anyway. I think I'll just buy one from RockAuto.com.
        don't forget some clamps, maybe new hoses.

Comment

Any suggestions on what kind of radiator? Or do they all work the same. I see some say they have a double fin some just say OEM specs. I'm thinking about going with the Denso on Rockauto.
          Last edited by D-rock615; 08-01-2013, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Spend the coin to do the upper and lower radiator hoses now, or you'll be dealing with that too in the next 6 months.

OEM should be just fine for a replacement radiator.
            Originally posted by wed3k
            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

If you could wait for duration of shipping time, the price Rock Auto has is not bad.
              I think I paid about $80? including tax on NAPA radiator. There was no line or waiting,,,,,
              A&P-IA

Comment

thanks. it looks like I could get upper and lower hoses plus radiator for around 105.00 I don't think that's bad at all. including shipping.

Comment

Good price. You won't regret doing the hoses while you are at it. Its such a bitch to do a radiator, and then have the hose fail a week later. So frustrating.

Always do hoses when you do the radiator. In my book anyways. Unless of course the hoses are already newer
                  im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

yeah i went with a O'Reilly Autoparts radiator. I paid 87 with tax. Great thing about them is, they're local, and its got a lifetime warranty. I've had no issues so far with the radiator.

Rockauto may be cheaper, but what if you have a problem with it? Shipping it back and waiting for a replacement could take weeks.

I prefer local, so the 20-30 extra I paid for the satisfaction of knowing I could find a radiator same day is worth it to me.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      yeah i went with a O'Reilly Autoparts radiator. I paid 87 with tax. Great thing about them is, they're local, and its got a lifetime warranty. I've had no issues so far with the radiator.

Rockauto may be cheaper, but what if you have a problem with it? Shipping it back and waiting for a replacement could take weeks.

I prefer local, so the 20-30 extra I paid for the satisfaction of knowing I could find a radiator same day is worth it to me.
                      I agree with your thinking on this

Comment

Working...
                      X