Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are thermal intake manifold gaskets good on a daily driver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are thermal intake manifold gaskets good on a daily driver?

I have a skunk2 manifold I want to slap on the,will be replacing the gasket and was thinking of getting a hondata thermal gasket.This will be going on my daily driver.

yeah they certainly don't hurt. I've got a Hondata one on mine.

One thing you will run into, you might need longer studs since the gasket is a lot thicker than factory. But if you're careful, and make sure all the nuts are on, it'll work.

I used a little bit of thread lock on the end ones since they wanted to come off every so often. Haven't had any issues since.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I been doing some searching and found that you are running a sk2 manifold,how did you go about the egr valve? I've been rrading that some people just hang it somewhere with vaccum line still connected,so they won't get a CEL.I'm using a p13 ecu

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
        yeah they certainly don't hurt. I've got a Hondata one on mine.

One thing you will run into, you might need longer studs since the gasket is a lot thicker than factory. But if you're careful, and make sure all the nuts are on, it'll work.

I used a little bit of thread lock on the end ones since they wanted to come off every so often. Haven't had any issues since.
        you absolutely need to run longer studs. I had stock studs and the studs didn't stick out of the IM nuts at all. I believe this is part of what caused my manifold to crack.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
        Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

bisimoto

I put a bisimoto heat shielding IM gasket on, didnt need to use longer studs
          RoaR MRT

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
            I believe this is part of what caused my manifold to crack.
            That and the possible temperature variance because of the lack of even heat transfer from the head to the IM...

Comment

Can any of you guys that are running these on a DD post up your IAT readings and/or the ΔT of IAT and ambient temps. I know they work on a drag car but I would be interested to see how well they work on a DD after some driving time.

Thing that you have to realize is that there are both coolant and exhaust gases that flow through the right side of a stock intake manifold. If you cut off the heat transfer from the head there will be uneven heating. This could cause cracking, it could also cause cylinders 4 & 3 to run hotter.
              Last edited by GhostAccord; 07-28-2013, 01:31 PM.
              MR Thread
              GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by 90CB7EURO View Post
                I been doing some searching and found that you are running a sk2 manifold,how did you go about the egr valve? I've been rrading that some people just hang it somewhere with vaccum line still connected,so they won't get a CEL.I'm using a p13 ecu
                I ziptied it to the #4 runner and plugged it in.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by 90CB7EURO View Post
                  So im assuming your going to put back the factory manifold for smog ?
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by accordztech View Post
                    So im assuming your going to put back the factory manifold for smog ?
                    Yea

Comment

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                      Can any of you guys that are running these on a DD post up your IAT readings and/or the ΔT of IAT and ambient temps. I know they work on a drag car but I would be interested to see how well they work on a DD after some driving time.

Thing that you have to realize is that there are both coolant and exhaust gases that flow through the right side of a stock intake manifold. If you cut off the heat transfer from the head there will be uneven heating. This could cause cracking, it could also cause cylinders 4 & 3 to run hotter.
                      is the heat transfer then better to have than the heat-shielding gasket?
                      blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Working...
                      X