Really bad idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really bad idle

Lately i've been experiencing a bad idle during start up. pretty much I will start up the car, it idles normal. then 30 seconds later or so it will miss fire like crazy and feel like it will shut off, but doesn't.. I also smell gas fumes in the car but don't see any leaks.

Some times the CEL will light up (code 43) and then ill shut it off restart it then drive off and wont light up for the remainder of the drive or day/ if I am driving all day. also the engine will idle/run normal after this.

Ive replaced the Cap n rotor, NEW Denso o2 sensor. fuel filter, spark plugs w/wires was done last summer. I am really not sure what else to do to go on fixing this.

The car is a 1992 Cb7 Couple LX w/ f22a6 5 speed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This may be overkill, but I replace my plugs every year.
    Should only run you about $10 for NGK

steve

Comment

hmm well. i suppose i can start with that. I really just don't wanna buy random parts n waste alot of money that wont fix the issue

Comment

Are the gas fumes coming from the air vents? I would check for vacuum leaks. Sounds like a hose is disconnected or broken and cracked.

Comment

yeah pretty much. its in the cabin towards the front. but if I had a vacuum leak, wouldn't it cause the car to run weird?

Comment

I'm confused... didn't you make this thread because the car runs weird?

I would inspect your vacuum lines associated with the vacuum canister on the fire wall.

Comment

Oh crap, Yeah. Sorry about that. And where exactly is the vacuum canister?

Comment

Right here, under the vacuum control box:

Last edited by wildBill83; 07-17-2013, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Thanks alot. Ill inspect the lines tomorrow morning after work then get back to you.

Comment

most likely the black nipple with a line that goes to the EGR is broken.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

1) remove your o2 sensor clean it with gasoline the let it dry, be sure to gently scrap off any deposit on the outer shell of the sensor, I repeat gently. also inspect if the wires are in a good condition

2) turn the key to the ON position and put your fingers under the tubes connected to the fuel filter and see of they are wet with gasoline.

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      most likely the black nipple with a line that goes to the EGR is broken.
                      nope it isn't
                      Originally posted by Ely585 View Post
                      hmm well. i suppose i can start with that. I really just don't wanna buy random parts n waste alot of money that wont fix the issue
                      do what I stated above, if it not check your vacuum lines, or you can start with the vacuum lines first since they are easy to access. mark the place of each line in case you don't know where they should connect. Be sure to LOOK VERY VERY VERY WELL at them, try to bend them a little, vacuum lines are clever in hiding cracks also it is better to remove them when the car is hot, if cold they might crack, heat the car till you feel the IM is hot then turn off the car, remove them.

also check the red " S " line from the canister ( black tube under the fuel filter ) to the Throttle Body for cracks, this one is highly susceptible to cracks.
                      Last edited by EsperHamid; 07-18-2013, 02:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X