Repair Rings vs. Replace Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repair Rings vs. Replace Motor

Looks like the CB is in need of a set of new rings. After getting the head refreshed, new belts, oil pump, and gaskets, now this!

Just curious to see possibly how much any of you guys had to pay to have this done (since I dont have the proper tools of know-how to perform this).

I've looked for replacement engines and many places are asking more for A4's, than F20B's! I know this is not a plug-in-play setup, but the price does make it a viable option.

...your thoughts?

If you pull the block and separate the good head and other good parts you could use the short block (from crank to head mating surface) to send in to be re-ringed and honed or use as a core on a rebuilt short block. That would be the cheaper route if you wanted to keep the F22A4. You could even get away with using an F22A1 short block or even an F23A* short block.

How much use has the motor seen since the refresh?

If it were me I would be picking up a complete low mileage JDM H23A VTEC for $700 and rebuild the F22A4 to resell, seeing as you stated they are going for a premium. I have seen healthy ones sold for over $1200!
    http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/ptd/3824129275.html
    Last edited by wildBill83; 07-15-2013, 05:49 AM.

Comment

It's only seen about 1100 miles since the refresh.

I've been looking at the SOHC's they have over on HMotors and they have a few options that are really affordable (especially knowing their engines are low-mileage, and clean). Looks like the F23A, F22B sohc VTEC, and F22B non-VTEC will take a few modifications to get running, according to the swap threads.

Comment

I had the same problem about 6-8 months ago. New head. Prob $400 valves springs and resurface. bottom end gave. I priced the hone and time without my car and decided it was cheaper to swap.
        I found a JDM h22 on craigslist as well. Swapped it in in a weekend, and I've never looked back and am now wondering why I ever tried to repair it myself.

my take:

If you are a machinist or work at a shop and can do most of the work yourself by all means do it.
        If you are the average DIYer like me. Get a JDM h23 or h22. H22 is a tad easier. When that engine goes get another one.

That's my 2 cents for what its worth.

steve

Comment

how many miles are on the bottom end?
          I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

200,600 miles

Comment

It's just gotten broken in.

I would totally do a swap then send off the F22A for a lower end rebuild then place the newish parts back on it and resell or keep it. But I am a pack rat...

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                It's just gotten broken in.

I would totally do a swap then send off the F22A for a lower end rebuild then place the newish parts back on it and resell or keep it. But I am a pack rat...

LOL, I am also. Still holding on to a few D-series stuff I have for my CRX!
                JDMEngineCorp.com has some SOHC F's that I'm seriously considering pulling the trigger on. Just searching the google and this forum, trying to find which one is easiest to swap. (Ease of swap is starting to trump performance each passing day)

Comment

Working...
                X