Car shakes at 70+mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car shakes at 70+mph

Hello all, when I'm on the hwy and I try to go past 70, my car starts shaking I can feel it through the steering wheel and the front end. The motor CAN go past that limit, however. I just don't know whats causing this? Tires aren't balding, and I already checked for bumps or nipples.. Suspension components that could cause this? I checked all the bushings and balljoints, theye are fine, Any ideas or info is greatly appreciated thanks

If the shake is coming through the steering wheel then it is a fore/aft motion. Causes are almost always bushing or balljoint problem. Your tire is shaking back and forth. If most of the energy is transferred into the chassis than it is a tire imbalance. Whether it be weight balance or force balance. Even with in imbalanced tire the steering wheel will still shake, but in phase with the chassis.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

I would have tires checked for dynamic balance at a tire shop.
      A&P-IA

Comment

Yes, have expensive tires mounted using a road force machine. I'll bet the problem is the tire itself is not perfectly round anymore and is now out of balance. A bent rim can do the same thing.

Comment

Make sure all your wheel wieghts are intact, I've had weights fall off, and cause vibration through the front end at highway speeds.
          Last edited by cloudasc; 07-13-2013, 09:40 PM. Reason: I before e except after c does not apply to 'weight'. http://alt-usage-english.org/I_before_E.html
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

upper or lower ball joint, tie rod, upper arm bushing or just unbalanced tires.
            wat?

Comment

Okay, i will have my tires checked. This seems to be very suspicious. And maybe yes, the weights have fallen off. Thanks members when i find a open tire shop and find the problem ill report back to continue or close the thread Thanks!!

Comment

i know that loose upper control arm anchor bushings can cause vibs at high speed. Make sure your bushings are in good shape and/or that the bolts tightening them to the control arm going through the bushings are nice and tight.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Working...
                X