Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Harmonic Balancer Crank Holder

This is a basic how to.

What you need are a large GM fan clutch wrench and a 2" nut.

Weld the nut to the fan clutch wrench and viola, you have this:

Insert it into the crank and wedge so it doesn't spin, then insert the 19mm socket into it and remove the crank bolt with your breaker bar or impact.

Very resourceful! Probably be cheaper to just buy the tool if you dont already have the GM fan wrench but I like it.

Comment

Nice.

I have a whole box of engineered tools I have come up with to help with stuff like this. Good job man!
      Originally posted by wed3k
      im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Sordz View Post
        Very resourceful! Probably be cheaper to just buy the tool if you dont already have the GM fan wrench but I like it.
        The nut was $3 at Fastenal and the wrench was $15 at AutoZone (I had both already from prior projects), but you can use any scrap metal that you can weld the nut to and use a 19mm socket inside of still. The tool from Snap-on was $80 last time I checked 10 years ago when I decided to make this gem. I like the fan wrench because there is a spot for the 1/2" breaker bar to go into like the special tool.

Originally posted by toycar View Post
        Nice.

I have a whole box of engineered tools I have come up with to help with stuff like this. Good job man!
        Thanks for the compliment, I had just seen a few threads about removing the harmonic balancer and I figured I would share, especially since I just dug it out the other day to work on this F22A1 I'm reviving.
        Last edited by wildBill83; 07-12-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

This one works pretty good for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbuilt-648...nk+pulley+tool
          A&P-IA

Comment

I got mine instantly (well... 5 min with a welder) and didn't have to pay/wait on shipping. That is a good price though.
            Last edited by wildBill83; 07-12-2013, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Don't get me wrong.

It's great that you made that tool.

I make my own custom tools for specific bolts or nuts using Oxy-acetylene torch and/or welder if needed. And, saved my ass and time.

For your custom tool, you still have to spend the time and $18 for the materials and requires a welder.
              A&P-IA

Comment

That is some good improvising. I like it!

And not bad welding either. Gas welder?

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                  Don't get me wrong.

It's great that you made that tool.

I make my own custom tools for specific bolts or nuts using Oxy-acetylene torch and/or welder if needed. And, saved my ass and time.

For your custom tool, you still have to spend the time and $18 for the materials and requires a welder.
                  I understand, but you came into a DIY thread talking about a purchased tool. This is first and foremost a DIY thread for those in a bind but may have access to these items like I did. Please keep it on topic. Really a piece of scrap metal and a trailer hitch ball nut is all one needs to weld together, my scrap metal just so happened to be a cheap tool that fit the need.

Originally posted by 2winRB25 View Post
                  That is some good improvising. I like it!

And not bad welding either. Gas welder?
                  Thank you good sir, it was actual a wire feed welder and it took longer to setup the weld than to actually lay the bead. Best part is, when I need to use the fan clutch tool for a job I just grind the nut off and put it back on the trailer hitch ball I took it from then use the wrench like it was never welded.
                  Last edited by wildBill83; 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                    Thank you good sir, it was actual a wire feed welder and it took longer to setup the weld than to actually lay the bead. Best part is, when I need to use the fan clutch tool for a job I just grind the nut off and put it back on the trailer hitch ball I took it from then use the wrench like it was never welded.
                    You are very welcome my friend.

I have a low end ($400-$500) wire feed welder that can be used with or without gas depending on the wire you use. It has flux core wire in it now that does not require the use of gas. The bead you layed looks pretty good compared to mine and I remember you saying you have a typical wire feed welder. Thats why I ask.

Maybe I just weld like shit.

Those GM fan clutch tools are $2 at my local Pick n Pull. And they have plenty. Just throwing that out there.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I understand, but you came into a DIY thread talking about a purchased tool. This is first and foremost a DIY thread for those in a bind but may have access to these items like I did. Please keep it on topic. Really a piece of scrap metal and a trailer hitch ball nut is all one needs to weld together, my scrap metal just so happened to be a cheap tool that fit the need.
                      I wasn't going to get involved in this thread as I was reading first few posts ever since you started this. But, since you put $$ value to your custom tool, I thought I'd put it in perspective.

Nothing more or less.
                      A&P-IA

Comment

I have a low end ($400-$500) wire feed welder that can be used with or without gas depending on the wire you use. It has flux core wire in it now that does not require the use of gas. The bead you layed looks pretty good compared to mine and I remember you saying you have a typical wire feed welder. Thats why I ask.

Those GM fan clutch tools are $2 at my local Pick n Pull. And they have plenty. Just throwing that out there.
                        Wire speed, heat/amps, torch angle and inclination (push or pull) along with type of material being welded and electrode (filler) being used will generally dictate the look and strength of your welds.

It's not something you just pick up and everything is great you have to dial in your machine for each project. And mild steel flux core wire is shyte compared to welding with gas. Night and day on the smaller 110v MIG suitcase machines! that being said there are techniques that you can use to get a nice looking weld with them. It just takes practice!

Nice DIY BTW, whatever works in a pinch. Necessity is the mother of invention!
                        Last edited by GhostAccord; 07-13-2013, 04:56 PM.
                        MR Thread
                        GhostAccord 2.4L Blog

by Chappy, on Flickr

Comment

I'm using a cheapo old as dirt Campbell Hausfeld 115 volt flux core wire feed that looks like this one:
                          http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...ausfeld+Welder

Originally posted by GhostAccord View Post
                          Wire speed, heat/amps, torch angle and inclination (push or pull) along with type of material being welded and electrode (filler) being used will generally dictate the look and strength of your welds.

It's not something you just pick up and everything is great you have to dial in your machine for each project. And mild steel flux core wire is shyte compared to welding with gas. Night and day on the smaller 110v MIG suitcase machines! that being said there are techniques that you can use to get a nice looking weld with them. It just takes practice!

Nice DIY BTW, whatever works in a pinch. Necessity is the mother of invention!
                          TY very much, I hope it helps others too.

Comment

I'm using a cheapo old as dirt Campbell Hausfeld 115 volt flux core wire feed that looks like this one:
                            http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...ausfeld+Welder
                            Im using a Craftsman 180.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00920504000P

I got mine from sears last fall. I only payed in the upper $400s for it.

I guess I'm just going to have to read some techniques and practice.

Comment

Working...
                            X