Most mangled axle nut I have ever seen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toycar View Post
    cut the groove a little deeper and try again. It will work, I swear to god it will. The nut is a lot deeper than a bearing race, and you really have to cut deep into a race for this to work.

Think about the force generated by the nut though. It has an outward effect on the nut, meaning the thinner the nut material that is left, the easier it will crack. Once it cracks, it will spin off no problemo.

Cut deeper, beat the shit out of again.

no good, cut deeper again and smack the shit out of it some more.

It WILL come loose doing this, I promise it will.
    Agreed 100%

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Albert Einstein

Comment

OK, I am now officially into the axle with the chisel on both sides, the nut did not ever split and there is absolutely no way to use the threads if it did... I'm just going to grind it off.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
        OK, I am now officially into the axle with the chisel on both sides, the nut did not ever split and there is absolutely no way to use the threads if it did... I'm just going to grind it off.

Thanks for the advice.
        I've went at them with my Dremel and had to cut it until it split. Then of course it turned right off after all that
        -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
        -1993 Accord EX SOLD
        -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
        -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Yeah, the threads on the axle are beat to much to be recognized as threads before I got to pounding on it. Even if I could get it to split it was not turning because there were no usable threads left. (As stated in OP and posts 3 and 10.)

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post
          use your air hammer at an angle to try and get it to spin counter clockwise and thread itself off.
          Doing this just rounded the nut off by cutting it clean in the direction I was angling the air chisel.
          Last edited by wildBill83; 07-12-2013, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X