odd engine revs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

odd engine revs

so I don't know what's going on with my car at the moment it's hitting upwards of the 100's so I don't know if thats contributing

Most of the time you can feel it on the freeway others you can feel it in town when I drive as low as 40 mph my revs will bounce about 100 rpm to 200 rpm and just do that over and over until I stop then when I go again the problem is still there.

I have
    Cleaned the throttle body
    Cleaned both intake components
    Checked air filter
    and adjusted the throttle cable

I have no loss of power but it just gets annoying after so long on the freeway and in town I guess I could attempt to bleed the coolant since both parts on the throttle body have hoses connected to that

any help is greatly appreciated

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

So your revs bounce while you're moving?

Comment

yes while I move when at idle nothing happens just runs like it should at 750. I thought it may have ben my compressor but it does not change anything. You can really notice it while the cruse control is on going about 70/90 mph

Do it once, do it right.
      Missing My
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

If it's happening when you're moving, it's likely transmission-related. Torque converter, perhaps.

Comment

Good point. on a trip from my town to sacromento a 1:30 hr drive I drive 70 but as best i can discribe does a more of 200 rpm jump it seemed to quit for the rest of the drive hitting 90 mph. In any case I can try dropping the tranny fluid to see if there is internal damage and I will go over the throttle body once more I will get back to you on the result

Do it once, do it right.
          Missing My
          Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

alright dumped my old tranny fluid. was not dark but the pink was not there.
            I proped the car up in the sky on jacks and ran it through the gears. P to D or R gives a good jerk so next is my rear motor mount going for the 5 speed one with the brackets. how hard is it to replace a Torque Converter or is it even worth it

Do it once, do it right.
            Missing My
            Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Replace a torque converter by removing the transmission. It's not hard as long as you aren't attacking it blindly.

Before you go after the torque converter, might I suggest checking the solenoids? Sounds to me like the car is going in and out of overdrive. A shelled torque converter would give you problems on acceleration more than constant cruising.

Comment

okay well I atempted to clean the upper pack of solinoids the tranny fluid and cleaning the soinoids had a flashing S light but cleared when I had to reset from a cel code 6 coolant sensor which they are all fairly new within 2 years. I do know for a fact that the car shifts through all gears with a miniscule dip between gear changes and I can hear both solinoids click when I had my fiancee going through the gears after the tranny fluid change

hope this helps

Do it once, do it right.
                Missing My
                Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

can a coolant tempature sensor make this odd rev ?

Do it once, do it right.
                  Missing My
                  Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Originally posted by schierholz View Post
                    okay well I atempted to clean the upper pack of solinoids the tranny fluid and cleaning the soinoids had a flashing S light but cleared when I had to reset from a cel code 6 coolant sensor which they are all fairly new within 2 years. I do know for a fact that the car shifts through all gears with a miniscule dip between gear changes and I can hear both solinoids click when I had my fiancee going through the gears after the tranny fluid change

hope this helps
                    You never saw overdrive during your fluid change and if you did then you were doing it wrong. Also there are 4 solenoids total. Also during your fluid change I hope you didn't do a pressurized flush, and if you did it at home I hope you never let the torque converter get empty.

When you did your coolant, did you bleed it off at the thermostat housing?

Comment

Working...
                    X