I F*CKED UP! Shifter cable prb!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I F*CKED UP! Shifter cable prb!

i am having a problem i think with my shifter cable.

i was havin the prob about it being hard to shift out of park...so i was trying to adjust it mysef at the cable adjuster under the
    console... but i had it in p instead of n (as the manual says to put it in neutral)...
    s i was messin around w/ it, got it adjusted...

but afterwards wen i tried t shift out of park... i COOULD NOT DO IT AT ALL!
    it was like REALLY ABNORMALLY STIFF ( WAYYYYYY stiffer than be4)! i was bustin a vein in my head trin to pull it..

after repeated attempts..and pulling w/ all my might, i got it to go into rear....then struggled and made it
    go into all the other gears... but now, IT REFUSES to go back into park.... no matter how hard i push with all my might
    it will not go.... the farthest it will g is in between park & rear, but it wont go into p...

i also noticed shifting R,N, d3, & d2 are VERY LOOSE....

also i tried starting it in neutral, althugh it starts up, it feels ike its starting up in gear... the car rolls forward as if i am pressin gas lightly
    .. and if i have the e-brake on.....the car JERKS forward like i just got rearended....

the light indicator on the dash does say what gear im in correctly, BUT the trans acts if im in D 100% of the time.... if i put
    it in R, the car still goes frward.... neutral SAME, d3 SAME, d4 SAME....

this is frustrating.. and seems dangerous too.....
    from now oon i will stop tryin to fix my car myself... everytime i do, smethin goes wrng

Holy Cripe! I have no idea what you did, but I will take this time to plug for my own benefit that I have an Auto shifter cable if you need it. $10 plus shipping.
    ProjectParty.net
    Putting an end to the question, "What's going on tonight?"

"This generation has this universal sense of failure" - Kurt D. Cobain

CLUB 1320

My FOR SALE thread...buy my ish

Comment

Originally posted by ProblemChild211

i was havin the prob about it being hard to shift out of park...so i was trying to adjust it mysef at the cable adjuster under the
      console... but i had it in p instead of n (as the manual says to put it in neutral)...

it was like REALLY ABNORMALLY STIFF ( WAYYYYYY stiffer than be4)! i was bustin a vein in my head trin to pull it..

after repeated attempts..and pulling w/ all my might, i got it to go into rear....then struggled and made it
      go into all the other gears... but now, IT REFUSES to go back into park.... no matter how hard i push with all my might
      it will not go.... the farthest it will g is in between park & rear, but it wont go into p...

also i tried starting it in neutral, althugh it starts up, it feels ike its starting up in gear... the car rolls forward as if i am pressin gas lightly
      .. and if i have the e-brake on.....the car JERKS forward like i just got rearended....

the light indicator on the dash does say what gear im in correctly, BUT the trans acts if im in D 100% of the time.... if i put

from now oon i will stop tryin to fix my car myself... everytime i do, smethin goes wrng

naw man keep fixing it yourself just try harder and eventually youll be fixing thibngs perfecly. im still not thier yet lol i fix one thing and 3 more brake lol.
      ]

Comment

back from the dead bump.... sorry to bring up an old thread but anyone have any solutions to this problem? I have this exact problem with the 91 EX i picked up.....
        Seattle Silver crew #5
        Member of the Midwest Car Club.
        ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

I don't know if this helps, but I'll add it to this thread anyways. On our 91 SE auto Accord, the only problem we've had transaxle wise is the shifter cables. One day you could shift the car from D4 to Reverse, but it remained in D4 and moved forward instead of backwards. Basically, it locked itself in one gear and would not change into other gears. We had it towed to a tranmission shop and they either replaced the shifter cables or fixed the exisiting one, I forget what. But it was shifter cable related. It's been fine ever since.
          HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

Comment

Yup, had this exact problem on my last Accord. The shifter cable is broken or stretched inside the rubber covering. The lever on the trans itself isn't getting moved when you move the shifter. Mine got put in 2 when the cable broke, so I had to get underneath the car and switch it into D4 myself. The dash lights will still show you what gear the shifter is in because that part is electonics going through contacts on the shifter. You'll have to replace the shifter cable. I did it myself, and its not too hard, just getting up above the bell housing to get the cable up into the inside of the car is a pain. I think I had to unhook all the rubber hangers and lower the exhaust system so that I could get the job done. Hope this helps.

Comment

yea i did fix it..it was the shifter cable....

the thing is, wen i was adjusting it, i was turning to WITH the lock still on..so this turned the whole cable causing the little metal wires inside to teaR.

i solved it by simply buying a new cable and installing it...

Comment

Originally posted by ProblemChild211

Im having that Problem RIGHT NOW with my White 92 EX

I test drove my white one...doing little tests...and when I went to park it..to resume working on it......it was hard putting into Park....so I tried to get it into park...and then out of nowhere....R.N.D4 D3 are loose..but 2 and1 are STIFF as shit...

I go to put into park or any other gear...and press on the gas...it inches forward! so yeah..I have the same problem you HAD!
                92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
                My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Comment

Originally posted by sandman61377
                  Yup, had this exact problem on my last Accord. The shifter cable is broken or stretched inside the rubber covering. The lever on the trans itself isn't getting moved when you move the shifter. Mine got put in 2 when the cable broke, so I had to get underneath the car and switch it into D4 myself. The dash lights will still show you what gear the shifter is in because that part is electonics going through contacts on the shifter. You'll have to replace the shifter cable. I did it myself, and its not too hard, just getting up above the bell housing to get the cable up into the inside of the car is a pain. I think I had to unhook all the rubber hangers and lower the exhaust system so that I could get the job done. Hope this helps.
                  is there any other way to replace this shifter cable WITHOUT dropping the Exhaust?

92 LX. A6 with GUDE bullfrog Cam. M2S4 transmission..Gutted H23 intake mani. The rest you will just have to find out!

MR Thread:

Comment

Originally posted by SN2BH22CB7
                    is there any other way to replace this shifter cable WITHOUT dropping the Exhaust?

I'm sure it can be done, its just a pain in the neck. I did it that way because I felt it was easier than fishing it through without moving the exhaust. All I did was slip the rubber hangers off of the metal hooks, I didn't unbolt any part of the exhaust, so doing that isn't hard and should make installing the new cable alot easier. You WILL have to unbolt the heat shield that's above the cat, though.

Comment

Originally posted by sandman61377
                      I'm sure it can be done, its just a pain in the neck. I did it that way because I felt it was easier than fishing it through without moving the exhaust. All I did was slip the rubber hangers off of the metal hooks, I didn't unbolt any part of the exhaust, so doing that isn't hard and should make installing the new cable alot easier. You WILL have to unbolt the heat shield that's above the cat, though.
                      you didn't have to unbolt the exhaust? just take off the hangers??????????

so all you did was:

*unbolt the heatshield
                      *take the exhaust off the hangers ( drop it down some )
                      *take off the bellhousing lower cover
                      *take off the shifter cable cover

and then proceed to taking off the bushing and lockpin for the cable?

so heres my Question...

You dont have to UNBOLT the DP from the header?

because I have the bolts ( DP and Mani ) marinating in PB Blaster. awaiting for disassemble.
                      Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 10-05-2007, 12:52 PM.

MR Thread:

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=82506

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                        where you been, is something wrong?
                        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair

if you was nearby...Id lick your face!!

thanks for finding this...I was looking for this ( Search ) and couldn't find it!

thank you ...thank you..thank you...

I already have the center console ripped off....I already have the lockpin off..( that connects the shifter and cable )...the only thing now is to get under the car...and take it off the tranny!

NOTE: I just wasn't up for taking OFF the exhaust ( UNBOLTING ) >getting new gaskets for DP and Mani.

THANKS MAYNE!

WWEEEEEEEEEEEE im off...to fix my White EX

MR Thread:

Comment

Working...
                          X