Corded Impact Wrech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Corded Impact Wrech

Would an electrical corded impact wrench be enough to use for crank pulley bolts or for removing axle nuts? I know I am being vague but there are those that are under $50 and claim to do 200ft/lbs, would those be reliable enough?
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

I've got the 200ft/lb one from Harbor Freight and was unable to remove my crank pulley with it. It was $40 if I remember correctly, although its been reliable for maybe a year now.

Comment

Did you make sure that the crank pulley could not move then used the wrench? I have seen it done with out holding down the crank pulley with a 600ft/lb wrench.

Comment

When I did mine, I had a 550/ft lb air impact and it didn't budge the crank pulley bolt, breaker bar.

I use an electric impact for most other things on my car and it's a dream.
        MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
        1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

So I am SOL for doing a timing belt but it can handle a job like replacing coil overs?

Comment

Find a 2ft breaker bar and soak that bitch with pb blaster.

Use a cheater bar if you have to and make sure you have the crank pulley holder.
            MRT http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202004
            1992 Accord EX(Canadian)Seattle Silver sedan

Comment

Timing belt was done recently so, my example was more of a scenario. I want to be able to remove it easily in the future so I can do camshaft swaps, pistons, etc.

Comment

It won't remove a crank pulley bolt.
                The only way it MIGHT is if the bolt was torqued to spec very recently, or if the bolt was already loose.

The crank pulley bolt torque spec is 181ft/lb, that's only a difference of 19ft/lb . . . And that is IF the gun ACTUALLY puts out 200ft/lb.

After even 1 year of heat cycling and corrosion effects, the loosening spec can be well over 300ft/lb.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                  It won't remove a crank pulley bolt.
                  The only way it MIGHT is if the bolt was torqued to spec very recently, or if the bolt was already loose.

The crank pulley bolt torque spec is 181ft/lb, that's only a difference of 19ft/lb . . . And that is IF the gun ACTUALLY puts out 200ft/lb.

After even 1 year of heat cycling and corrosion effects, the loosening spec can be well over 300ft/lb.
                  I agree, no way on the two bolts you mentioned. Those are both in my experience breaker bar breaking over 500 pounds to remove...sometimes. I could put a corded impact to good use though. I have a quarter drive dewalt 18 volt its the most used tool I own.
                  ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                    So I am SOL for doing a timing belt but it can handle a job like replacing coil overs?
                    You could replace the suspension components in question without an impact gun. I imagine it will work just fine for those, however.

Comment

I removed my crank pulley with the electric harbor freight gun. It took a little time but eventually it gave. I did use PB blaster as well.

steve

Comment

the electric one is directly plug to an electric wall socket ?! how much ft-lbs will it deliver to remove the crank ... due to my little experience sometime you have to soak with PB Blaster then wait for 24 hours and the next day will be much much easier ... it needs time over big hard bolts !!

Comment

A suggestion for anyone interested in non-pneumatic impact guns: the Milwaukee M18 1/2 inch cordless is actually pretty sweet. Yes, I said cordless! I have the M18 batteries and chargers already and I picked a bare tool up for $170.

It's supposed to put out 450 ft-lbs, not sure if that's an inflated number, and I'm not sure if it could put out the torque for a crank pulley bolt, but I wouldn't discount it - I know that I never bother using my corded one anymore.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2663-20

They are supposedly coming out with a brushless one for their FUEL line, which will probably be even better:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2763-22

Just thought I'd offer up an alternative and add an option to the electric discussion, they're very nice tools....

Comment

Originally posted by Dano View Post
                            A suggestion for anyone interested in non-pneumatic impact guns: the Milwaukee M18 1/2 inch cordless is actually pretty sweet. Yes, I said cordless! I have the M18 batteries and chargers already and I picked a bare tool up for $170.

It's supposed to put out 450 ft-lbs, not sure if that's an inflated number, and I'm not sure if it could put out the torque for a crank pulley bolt, but I wouldn't discount it - I know that I never bother using my corded one anymore.

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2663-20

They are supposedly coming out with a brushless one for their FUEL line, which will probably be even better:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-t...rdless/2763-22

Just thought I'd offer up an alternative and add an option to the electric discussion, they're very nice tools....
                            Cordless are great but:

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                            Are those that are under $50 and claim to do 200ft/lbs, would those be reliable enough?
                            Yep, no cordless under $50 is gunna do a crank pulley bolt.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

I have a corded 250ft-lbs impact and it removes the crank bolt. I think I paid $80 for the corded impact.

I also have the crank holder tool (well, a home made version) to hold the harmonic balancer in place while it is being torqued on. I also hit it with the impact, then spray PB Blaster, then place the holder on and use the impact again.

I also use it on my axle nuts and for my suspension change with no problems.

Last edited by wildBill83; 07-10-2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X